VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice. The first time was on a recent jaunt to the Scottish highlands and the midges got in; painful. The second, in the hands of VW agents after they'd fitted the replacement.

The window is the sliding part in the side (passenger side) door, and it's a VW part. It had been okay for (probably) 12 years, then... just popped for no apparent reason.

I made a temporary repair to see us through the trip then handed it over to VW agents when I got back. They put the new one in and before I collected the van it popped again. First thought was that it had been broken in to; but the glass was outside AND inside (if it had been smashed from out side, the glass would be all inside).

VW are getting another window (and the channels etc) at their expense. But: I'm very worried this might happen again. I mean, there must be some reason this happened and without knowing that, it could happen again?

I spoke to a very helpful guy at Vansport who do a fixed side window which could be a better solution?

Has anyone had any experience of exploding windows? Or got any advice please?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion. I assume you mean the fixed channels (in the frame) because the surrounds were replaced with the window. So it's worth reminding them to do a belt+braces job on cleaning/checking the channels before replacement #2 is fitted.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Mine did it in Nairn in the Highlands 2 years ago, autoglass were very good and replaced the whole window. It's very difficult to open now though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...more often than not somthing was left in the channel
Very much appreciate your comment, thanks. So, if something's left in the channel, then, without any movement of the window, or the van even, the glass can just shatter spontaneously?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...autoglass were very good and replaced the whole window
Likewise I found Autoglass were excellent on the advice but they couldn't replace the VW window, only offered to make temporary repair. Maybe you had different window to mine? Hah! I was in Durness (very North West) and nearest Autoglass guy was Inverness so my repair was good as they could've done and they couldn't make it for 12-15 hrs.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah, Inverness guys couldn't fix it but did put some perspex over the gap. The local (Kendal) branch had to order it in from VW and fit it. (I don't think they fancied trying to get the sliding glass fitted so replaced the whole window)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
i went to durness for my stag do, its like craggy islandLOL:LOL: we had lunch in a little cafe and the owners beat us to the pub to drink their profitsLOL:LOL:LOL: beautifull beach tho, went skinny dipping at 2oclock in the morn in late october, a bit chilly:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went to durness for my stag do, its like craggy islandLOL:LOL
Hah! I went to Craggy Island for my stag do; it was a bit like Durness!

Seriously, I can't think of a nicer place to get 'stuck' without a window... the beaches are world-class! And wild-camping is the done-thing.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yep, the glass cover part of my policy covered it with an excess of £60.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts