VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Only joined a couple of weeks ago, very quickly spent hours and hours reading and gathering information, then started the search for a van. My budget jumped from £8k to £12k to £16k and then a bit more, but I have ended up with the perfect van.

My criteria: Facelift, Tailgate, 140ps+ (for towing), Air Con, Electrics

Ended up with an 11 month old van as per the photos below. The intention is a full camper conversion which I will document in this thread...

Let the mayhem begin :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The van started life with apperance back colour coded etc, but before collecting I had the dealer colour code the handles and piece above the rear number plate. The tailgate needed some dents sorting so I had them de-badge while they were at it.

To Start:

Internally I intend to insulate, ply and carpet the rear of the van and get a decent floor down.

I will then be considering the pop top before moving on to Ikea units and a Cannon forge bed.

I intend to replace the head unit and perhaps add a subtle speaker/sub/amp installation for better sound.

Externally I will be going for 18/19" alloys and 40mm Eibach lowering springs, some sort of front spoiler, side bars, and a tailgate spoiler.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hello All

Only joined a couple of weeks ago, very quickly spent hours and hours reading and gathering information, then started the search for a van. My budget jumped from £8k to £12k to £16k and then a bit more, but I have ended up with the perfect van.

My criteria: Facelift, Tailgate, 140ps+ (for towing), Air Con, Electrics

Ended up with an 11 month old van as per the photos below. The intention is a full camper conversion which I will document in this thread...

Let the mayhem begin :)
I bought the sister van a month ago, got them to put sportline spoilers all around. Exactly the same spec, absolutely mint. Will go for conversion soon to South West Campers. Just got to sell my other T5 now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the sister van a month ago, got them to put sportline spoilers all around. Exactly the same spec, absolutely mint. Will go for conversion soon to South West Campers. Just got to sell my other T5 now.
Cool - must say they had a lot of nice vans in stock (just about to switch out to their brand new September arrivals) so it was nice to just get something bought in the spec I wanted and in very good condition.

I'll be doing some exterior mods later on, for now I am focused on the internals ;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a couple of hours in this evening.

Finished Dynamat all over the panels (and rear tailgate):

Then a layer of foil insulation and then recycled bottle insulation:

Just need to do a final layer of foil and finish up all around the rest of the panels and then I can start carpet lining ready for windows to be cut into the van.

bought a Lino roller from Hobbycraft which helped massively apply the Dynomat very neatly especially around areas like the wheel arch.

Not a very exciting update, but want to document everything... Should get a lot more done over the weekend. Also going to see a man about cutting the roof out for a pop top!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding rear tailgates it seems to avoid water leaks the actual tailgate door should not be carpeted, and just go with the normal ply panel back on carpetted leaving a lot of exposed metal.

Any reason the ply panel could not be shaped a little bit better, see the area in RED on the below picture (with blue showing the usual panel)... ??

Thoughts?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Over the last few days I have been finishing off sound deadening and insulation.

I have booked the van in with Ansett Automotive for an Austop pop top to be added, having gone to visit Jon and the guys there I was very impressed with their setup and the van they had in at various stages of build - fingers crossed mine ends up perfect :)

Next on my list is to plan and run all my wiring, I want all this in place so that when the pop top is done I Can carpet and panel leaving myself with an empty box ready to consider furniture and bed.

I have a rather expensive list of things I am starting to source and order, which includes:

- Infinity Kappa series front speakers, rear speakers, amplifyer.
- Kenwood 521DAB head unit.
- Rear view camera
- Xtremevans Split charge system and leisure battery and mains hook up
- CR50 fridge
- Smev hob+sink
- Various sockets and switches
- Side LEd downlights and furniture kick board mood lights

All the above requires a bit of thought around the wiring and positioning, glad these forums are full of useful ideas and advice!

Going down the usual route of Megavanmats hidden clips on my ply lining. Altro flooring. Cannons Forge bed, and I think I am going to consider the Ikea units, I appreciate they are more weight but they do seem to just give a more custom look to the pre-built "camper" style units you can buy - Something very flush and cool looking about ikea gloss doors!

Also on the look out for captains chairs and swivel bases. I then intend to trim all the seats and RnR with something funky.

Finally exterior wise I am getting Eibach springs, 20" range rover wheels, rear tailgate spoiler, front ABT spoiler, side bars... oh and a tow bar :)

So despite a lack of progress this week working on the van, I am having a lot of fun with the credit card sourcing bits for all the above!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spent the past week tinkering with a few things and generally ordering lots and lots of goodies for the van.

Stuck a rear spoiler on:

Dynamat the front doors and changed out the stock speakers for some Infinity Kappa components:

Mounted tweeters in the dashboard grills, they JUST about fit, nice and stealthy once everything is put back together:

Picked up a decent set of unmarked RR 20" wheels off the fleabay for £575 with nearly new Pirelli tyres:

Currently got all the wheels off painting the calipers red before fitting the new wheels.

Next up I am waiting on a package containing H&R 40mm springs.

This weekend I will be running all the wiring within the van for audio, split charge etc before the van goes off to Ansett Automotive to have an Austop fitted. Once the roof is fitted I should be able to bat on with some of the more important stuff inside :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worth adding I ran new cables through the rubber seal to the door rather than re-use factory as its just easier with a cross over under the dash for the door speaker and tweeter.

I am currently undecided about weather to find space for a sub in the rear, probably will but will decide nearer to furniture time about that.

Also me and the Mrs cannot decide what to do about replacing the twin seat bench. Would much prefer two singles but it seems excessive to have to spend 400 notes on a replacement passenger seat to be honest, and I would rather not go after market on the front seats as I have yet to see a direct replacement that doesn't sit too high or require some hacking about, I don't mind the stock seats (re leathered).

Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you Dynomat the outer door skin?
Put as much as I could through the hole where the speaker goes inside the door, then the entire metal part on the outer, and then also a load on the inside of the plastic door card.

To be honest currently only one side is done, got the other side to do tomorrow, and will start running all the cabling tomorrow for amp and split charger etc.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts