VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much success with my previous t5 conversion, I was very determined to get a T5.1 and start
the journey again :D

So after many months of searching a beautiful very low millage VW approved t5.1 turned up at the VW forecourt
1 owner, Lwb perfect,

After my previous build which was a swb day van with rock and roll bed, http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=309368

I found that with the bed down it was a bit of a tight squeeze between the bed and front seats so this time I wanted the extra space of the LWB :)

Anyway onto the build.

First job was the reverse sensors, after measuring and measuring and finally measuring again I was happy to drill out and fit the
new reverse sensors T:

Next job was to remove all the ply and see what was behind, as suspected fresh new bodywork

All happy with all the ply removed the next step was a call to http://www.classicacoustics.co.uk/
Sound proofing was a must for me and after many searches and recommendations classic acoustic came out on top,
I used there sound barrier on every panel, I was told I didn't need to cover it all but I wanted it to be perfect,

the rear arches also inside and out, The floor is yet to be done but ive also done the whole roof section.

Moving on now to the cab area, The doors will be done when I remove the door panels to be trimmed, as you can see the sound barrier goes down first with a bit of heat to help in the corners, paying attention to the bulkhead and wheel arches,

on top of this we now fit the closed cell foam

closed cell foam also fitted on the rest of the body panels and roof sections.

once all the panels were fitted with the closed cell foam it was onto the insulation,
many many threads on here about insulation, I chose the recycled plastic insulation as it wouldn't absorb any water or condensation,
so all the panels were lined with the furry stuff

Next up was the foil insulation to finish off

I will be updating more and more as I go along loads more to do a very exciting journey :D:DA:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Looks like you are doing a good thorough job. Just one word of caution though. You might want to cut/leave some breathing vents in the insulation. I had to remove a big chunk of mine and add vent holes in the interior lining to allow air to exit through the vents (in bottom of panel behind wheel arches) when shutting the tailgate and slider. Without these vents the doors had to be slammed annoyingly hard.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice start check out big bear van conversions he has just finished his storm trooper he made and sprayed the bumper never again he reckons.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you are doing a good thorough job. Just one word of caution though. You might want to cut/leave some breathing vents in the insulation. I had to remove a big chunk of mine and add vent holes in the interior lining to allow air to exit through the vents (in bottom of panel behind wheel arches) when shutting the tailgate and slider. Without these vents the doors had to be slammed annoyingly hard.
A very good point I never realised Why it was difficult to close my tailgate on my previous t5 till now
Thanks for that, lucky this time I have barn doors so easier to close

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing whether your insulation on the roof stays up. I've fitted the Classic Acoustics stuff in mine and it has made a huge difference but the bits on the roof were a nightmare!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be interested in knowing whether your insulation on the roof stays up. I've fitted the Classic Acoustics stuff in mine and it has made a huge difference but the bits on the roof were a nightmare!
I had the same trouble matey, I spray glued the insulation and it tacked quite well, then covered in aluminium foil and taped it on using the alu tape T:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The seats are out of a Mazda RX8,
Drivers side is electric movement and heated, passenger side is heated also

I will be showing how I fitted and wired them in soon to help others who fancies them T:
Hi , thinking of replacing my seats. Are you happy with the Rx8 seats ?
And any more information on the fitting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi your doing a great job with the insulating , Im just about to start mine could to tell me what layers you allpied in what order please , I now the dynamat goes on first then which layer etc , the photos are a bit cofusing might just be me though . keep up the good work . thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry about the pictures I should really do a new thread and organise what im doing :)

ok its the dynamat stuff first then its the closed cell foam, that's the noise insulation bit covered

then were onto the warm insulation, my step was to buy recycled plastic insulation ( this was because it will not absorb water, don't go for rockwool ) then its the aluminium insulating bubble foil taped up with aluminium tape T:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also these vents assist in the airflow for the heater. If they are blocked off you will find that the heater "ram effect" ie without the fan running, will be vastly reduced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts