VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a tour of europe for about a month in the summer. my plan is to cross to Bilbao in Spain and then go into the Pyrenees and then Barcelona and along the mediteranean coast of France and northern Italy and then over the alps into Germany and from there we will come back to the uk from either france, belgium or holland. I will have my family with me and will be sleeping in the van with an awning or maybe a separate tent.

can anyone recommend a guidebook for this and/or a campsite guide for this? we would be wanting small quiet campsites. alternatively are there any poi files for sat navs that would have small campsites.

thanks a lot

Tim

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Did something very similar a few years ago.

If you want small quiet campsites dont spend to long on the Med coast. Busy, hot and expensive is how I found it.
Some stunning places along the Pyrennes, you'll not find it hard.

Italy, we were so ill prepared we didnt enjoy it much. Sorry - not much help I:

Germany, plenty of sites, easy to find, we followed major rivers. Found it a lot more expensive than France.

Holland, We found a chain of campsites (SVR) you get a discount and it saves you a load. Sites are usually farm based and are very well kept usually offering farm produce. They give you a map of other locations which helps but trying to find the assciatede ones in France and Germany proved useless.

We did a bit of research at home but didnt take any guide books or itinerary as we like the adventure and being flexible - but we dont have kids to entertain.

If you have 4 weeks, i'd cruise down thrugh France and save the bomb it costs you on the Bilbao crossing - but i'm a tight esra :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that's really useful info. i've already booked the Bilbao crossing, it is expensive but i'm viewing it as part of the holiday. i'd probably use over a tank of diesel driiving through France and get distracted on the way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts