VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my early T5 Kombi. I bought it nearly 5 years ago near to where I live, my wife wasn't convinced when I said I wanted a van, until she came for a test drive. The guy I bought it off was with us and he was a handsome sod with a tan and long blonde hair, during the whole test drive my wife didn't make a sound she just sat smiling, when we finish I asked her what she thought and she just said "lush". To this day Im certain she was on about the old owner and not my van. Anyway the day I bought it I drove straight to the wheel shop for the 20's. A couple of month later I got my velle front and back lights, front and back bumpers, grill and rear parking sensors fitted then I got my H&R springs fitted. A year or 2 later I converted the inside into a full on camper boasting a 22" widescreen. Just 2 month ago I replaced my springs with VMAXX coilys then the van went on holiday to the body shop to get a face lift in the form of a bad boy bonnet and de-badge grill, new style wing mirrors and front fog lights fitted, and mud guards removed so I could go lower. Once home I tinted my tail lights all red using film and I painted my B-pillars using Halfords primer then matt satin black spray paint. That brings me up to today when I have just finished tweaking my suspension. Hope you like! :ILU:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speed bumps werent a problem today when I did my test drive however it did have to go back under the knife as I had to chop away a bit of my front inner arche liners due to the tyres rubbing even while sitting still. Ive got VMAXX coilys on so Ive also set the front to the hardest setting, Im pleased to report that after test driving it again on country roads it doesnt rub at all. :ILU:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VMAXX coilys dropped through the mounts and wound down as far as they go, as for the tail lights, I think they must be legal because some manufacturers supply their vehicles with all red tail lights, ie porcas. I got the sticky film from Halfords, its used as a temperary repair for damaged lights. They still indicate orange all be it stightly darker than normally, and reverse is stightly pinkish. I used 2 layers of red to match the rest of the tail light and 1 layer of clear to give a glossy finish. Hope this helps. :ILU:

·
Registered
212 Posts
mmmmm!!:confused::confused: "dropped through the mounts" could you explain a little gallan!!!! photos would be niceI:I: how does it ride that low?? looks mint!!!! only one way to go ................low n slow:ILU::ILU:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just use a dremmel or small grinding stone to remove small bit of weld at the bottom of the hub ,
then your strut will slide through hub ,
then tighten the 2 nuts up werever or however low you want the front ,
its realy realy easy !
And if you are stupidly %1000000 safety minded , just put a piece of tube inbetween hub and were drop links attach ,
i havnt and mine was the 1st to do this , been through 2 mots and 20k miles without a problem .
If you want it doing call vw centre in st helens and ill do it .T:
I did what this guy did, Ill try and get some photos up soon. The ride is nice, its not at all firm, I used to have H&R -40mm springs on with standard shocks and the ride then was spirited but now compared to this set up I think that lowering springs alone are shocking. I did have to cut away a section from the tops of the plastic inner arches to prevent any rubbing, however I have just drove to Newcastle today and to my horror I found that the bottom edge of my coilys have rubbed straight through my outer cv boots. I left about 1mm gap between the bottom of my coilys and the cv boots, now I know that while this is fine standing still its not while moving due to rotational force being exerted on to the cv boots. (they get bigger while spinning). I havent got access to any tools or trolleys while up in the toon so its booked into VW tomorrow. Thing is I dont want to raise the van as I love its splitty low appearence, so Im trying to come up with a workable solution, ie smaller cv boot maybe from a polo or golf etc, or maybe even filing the edge off the bottom off my shocks to create a more rounded edge to present to the boot, and finally if I can only get T5 boots fitted again maybe even trying to compress them while their fitted to stop them expanding again.

Failing all of the above, Ill choose your option "LOW AND SLOW" :ILU:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
nice van mate, keep the pics comingT:

why's the side door on the wrong side?????

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well done for noticing. Ive had the van for almost 5 years now and the original owner asked for the slider to behind the drivers door to aid him getting out his photography kit quickly. My van started its life as one of the first T5's. It was ordered at Benfield Van Centre in Newcastle. When I first bought it I wasn't to sure about it, but I wouldn't change it now. It's funny when I have my mock German plates on because I get so much abuse off other drivers, I think they think Im one of zee Germanz.
Just pasted the quote here, its from the team silver section. :ILU:

·
Super Moderator
9,134 Posts
niceT: but no sliding door on the passenger side but on the drivers side? is that an option:*

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did what this guy did, Ill try and get some photos up soon. The ride is nice, its not at all firm, I used to have H&R -40mm springs on with standard shocks and the ride then was spirited but now compared to this set up I think that lowering springs alone are shocking. I did have to cut away a section from the tops of the plastic inner arches to prevent any rubbing, however I have just drove to Newcastle today and to my horror I found that the bottom edge of my coilys have rubbed straight through my outer cv boots. I left about 1mm gap between the bottom of my coilys and the cv boots, now I know that while this is fine standing still its not while moving due to rotational force being exerted on to the cv boots. (they get bigger while spinning). I havent got access to any tools or trolleys while up in the toon so its booked into VW tomorrow. Thing is I dont want to raise the van as I love its splitty low appearence, so Im trying to come up with a workable solution, ie smaller cv boot maybe from a polo or golf etc, or maybe even filing the edge off the bottom off my shocks to create a more rounded edge to present to the boot, and finally if I can only get T5 boots fitted again maybe even trying to compress them while their fitted to stop them expanding again.

Failing all of the above, Ill choose your option "LOW AND SLOW" :ILU:
Massive thank you to Benfield van centre. The guys there changed my cv boots and while my van was with them they diagnosed an oil leak which was caused by a failed crank shaft seal. Upon inspection they also found that my 1 year old flywheel had to much play in it. I do go on abit so to cut the story short the lads there replaced the crank shaft seal, the flywheel and the cv boots. To prevent the cv boots wearing through again, the lads removed my front coilys and I cut some new collars using 5mm tubular steel. The bottom collars are 35mm tall. I also removed the lower blue screw collars and fully wound down the other blue collars, to ensure these collars are not going to fail I have fitted 80mm collars below them. The result is that my van is still as low but doesnt rub on the cv boots. Cushty! :ILU:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's my early T5 Kombi. I bought it nearly 5 years ago near to where I live, my wife wasn't convinced when I said I wanted a van, until she came for a test drive. The guy I bought it off was with us and he was a handsome sod with a tan and long blonde hair, during the whole test drive my wife didn't make a sound she just sat smiling, when we finish I asked her what she thought and she just said "lush". To this day Im certain she was on about the old owner and not my van. Anyway the day I bought it I drove straight to the wheel shop for the 20's. A couple of month later I got my velle front and back lights, front and back bumpers, grill and rear parking sensors fitted then I got my H&R springs fitted. A year or 2 later I converted the inside into a full on camper boasting a 22" widescreen. Just 2 month ago I replaced my springs with VMAXX coilys then the van went on holiday to the body shop to get a face lift in the form of a bad boy bonnet and de-badge grill, new style wing mirrors and front fog lights fitted, and mud guards removed so I could go lower. Once home I tinted my tail lights all red using film and I painted my B-pillars using Halfords primer then matt satin black spray paint. That brings me up to today when I have just finished tweaking my suspension. Hope you like! :ILU:
Cool van:cool:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts