VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started life as a builders van.

First cleaned the interior.....

9mm ply stuck to the floor using solvent "no-nails" and spare insulation between.

Then Insulated both sides with Celtex then thermowrap. (2 x 25mm sheets + 2 x thermowrap -enough for floor walls and roof)

I then fitted the fabric to the sides (in one piece from front to back) and trimed the panels to create a 2 - tone.
Lining was from Megavan mats - excellent service - talked me through the job

...and then added the curtains

I've also lowered the van with H&R spring form ebay.de initial drop was 35mm rear and 20mm front. I'm expecting it to drop to 40mm front and rearH: (this is the after)

Electrics were next - battery under the drivers seat using a 175mm high battery from Alpha.

showing the clearance - there's plenty!

It's taken me 6 working days so far

Left to do:

Roof lining
Awning rail
Cabinets - Being fitted by AJC
Bed - Being made by JDS Metaltech

I'll update as and when. If anyone needs any details let me know.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Nice work!

You might want to consider a sterling 4 stage battery to battery charger. I have one and it works a real treat. They're not cheap but like most things you get what you pay for. They are fairly simple to install - time consuming part is working out where to put it and running the leads from starter battery to unit and then on to leisure battery.

Good luck with the rest of the project.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I got a 3 stage one from UPSPEX. I'll mount mine at the rear and feed back to the leisure battery. That way, with an isolator I can power everything in the van without charging the battery (when at home).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Looks great so far!

Your tailgate curtain has enough stretch in it for the bottom rail to go below the cutout for the rear wiper. Ive just installed mine.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did think that but thought it looked better. After my first night I may end up changing or adding an extra but to the board.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey did u use adhesive to stick the carpet to the wall and what did u screw it to ?
great job going to do the same with my van with the insulation to stop the condensation problem

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The curtains are from VAN-X and the adhesive was a spray included in the kit from Megavan Mats.

You need heat resistant adhesive and the panels were screwed directly to the metalwork. Pre-drilled and used plasterboard screws as recommended by Mark at Megavanmats IIRC

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Heres a couple of pics after steve's van has been for mine for a few days.

Another job finished 1 day in advance :)

Some custom units, Built to steves spec and needs

Heres a pics a sent steve to make sure he was happy with the design of the doors....

Then the units cames together....With a few changes to suit :)

Hope your happy with the units steve T:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks really neat. Do you happen to know what sheeting was used for the kitchen worktop and what cooker unit it is?

JW

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ply was voringer and the cooker was a SMEV - dont remember the model number.

Submitted all the photos to the DVLA at Bristol with the covering letter below..just got to wait now. From start to finish in just over 2 months.

A big thanks to Dan at JDSmetaltech and Andy at AJC Conversions - they both had their work cut out with all my little tweeks and changes and a cracking finish!.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Received a reply from DVLA Bristol after 3/4 days stating that the documents had been forwarded to DVLA Swansea for the changes to be made to the V5C. The original V5C has been returned , stamped and handwritten on it "Motorcaravan 6 seater"
They said it would take up to 6 weeks for the return of the amended V5.

Coolio!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nice one mate your vans looking tidy. Have you had any good insurance quotes since youve changed its class, also do you know if your road tax goes down. Im only asking because Im about to change my V5, and I heard that road tax would be cheaper. :ILU:

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice one mate your vans looking tidy. Have you had any good insurance quotes since youve changed its class, also do you know if your road tax goes down. Im only asking because Im about to change my V5, and I heard that road tax would be cheaper. :ILU:
Insurance is part if a van/camper conversion deal. I had 90 days to complete so was jus £300. Tax remains the same at £210 as you can't change it which is why I bought a commercial vehicle as it's not done on emissions and it's 2.5 tdi

·
Registered
30 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received a reply from DVLA Bristol after 3/4 days stating that the documents had been forwarded to DVLA Swansea for the changes to be made to the V5C. The original V5C has been returned , stamped and handwritten on it "Motorcaravan 6 seater"
Really like your conversion - and am very interested in the 6th seat. I assume the layout is two seats on bed, three up front and then the buddy seat behind the passenger?

The buddy seat is cut off in the pics a bit - do you have any more pictures of it, and is it rated for use as a seat when in use - I see a seat belt, but then the back vanishes in your shot with the bed down!?

Any info gratefully received,

All the best,

Jim

Newbie T5 T30 SWB owner

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Buddy seat has a removable back rest to allow it to slide towards the front of the van on unwin rails. This is so when the bed is out it's not in the way (the seat can also be taken out of the van). The side of the seat also slides out forming a bench seat around the table using the backrest as a bottom rest!!!

Have to say it was partly the wifes idea but built by Jds. I'll post some more pictures at the weekend.
Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts