VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 12 plate T32 Kombi new. I like outdoors stuff and have kids so it's great for flinging bikes boards etc in the back.
However kids.. (8yrs and 6yrs boys ) are messy. They pee and smudge sweets on seats... any advice on back seat covers?
Their friends mum can't reverse too well and bashed in the slide door ( now replaced)
The wee one can't open the slide door as it's too force for his STRONG for a 6 yr old hand... So yesterday he opened the passenger front door with the van pointing downwind (it was windy ... we live in the hebrides... it's windy)
The upshot was the door flung open and broke the check stop on the hinge and went on to bend the forward panel.

Arrrrgh!!!:*

They seem to be loving the van to bits.

Why don't manufacturers know the anthropometric / ergonomic data allowing a child to open the slide door?
The only warning in the manual is "Always keep a good grip on the handle when opening and closing doors."
there's something like "never let a child open the doors unobserved"
but that doesn't cover the situation....

It wasn't super windy... I went windsurfing on a 4.2m sail so it was kinda blowing but come on surely a door should be designed to take that. The piece that snapped off looked like a brittle casting.
More arrrghhh!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I banned my kids from opening the side doors, unless the ground is level / they have permission - otherwise they are capable (porridge for breakfast.. ;) ) - am wary of them losing fingers if it slams shut....

Turtle covers are a common recommendation, not sure how slippy they are when going down the lanes....

Door damage sounds poor - sorry to hear it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, youngest caught his nail between the same passenger door and the filler cover.... ooouch.
never heard him make that wail before.
took two days to convince him that using a tiny drill or hot needle is the best way to relieve the pressure under a bruised nail.
It grew back fine. Wee lizard

Thanks for the covers recommendation ... I'll look em up

·
Registered
170 Posts
try Jackyards.com or .co.uk, not sure for seat covers. The quality is excellent and she owns two pimped transporters so a fellow vw nut

1 - 6 of 6 Posts