VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spotted a van which I liked on Ebay,last summer,in London,so after a few conversations,etc,a deal was struck and off I went,back to the smoke....
Here she is when I picked her up.

The van was fiited with a big roof rack which I removed and sold to another local T4 "addict";) for carrying his kayak.

I got to work removing the old panels and fiberglass,lovely job:(

Started the insulating,with celotex and foil bubblewrap.Seems a never ending job,but soooo worth doing.The van is so much quieter,heats up in 5 minutes in the morning and holds the warmth really well.I'm hoping it'll be nice and cool in the summer too

Also flashbanded the arches.

Foiled the roof,another job that makes such a difference too

Then while playing a game of beach cricket with my two lads I managed to rupture two calf muscles :eek:.This slowed things down a little, with a hospital stay,3 different leg plasters,crutches,physio and 14 weeks off work :(

A while later,having had plenty of time to think of how to "invest" more money into the van,work continued...Some lovely megavan superstretchy carpet started going in

I then brought some thick lining paper and took my time making templates for the new panels.When I was reasonably happy with them I made some templates out of hardboard that I got free from work.When I was happy with these I cut new panels out of 4mm waterproof ply.Long winded,I know,but good ply is not cheap.

I got my bed from Cannon's,superb quality.Fitted some flotex carpet.Got the side windows and rear's fitted.I got a pair of Golf/Eos seats off ebay and fitted the drivers in,which was a pain in the ass,but it's in now.They match the r/r fabric really well,which is lucky.Passenger seat install to follow...when I can be bothered:)

Next job was roof rails,Pug 406,which I got from the scrappers for £15 and bars to fit them off ebay for £12.Bargain.I cut some flat plate and sikoflexed them up and with some m8 washers too,job's a good 'un,ready now for a roofbox when we go touring.
This was followed by lights,trusty old Ikea dioders.Well pleased with them.
I used the original roof templates to cut some nice, new ply ones and brought some funky flowered up material and got to work,with a little help from my youngest.

Not long after starting,I realised what a nightmare job this was turning into, as the pattern has to run true side to side, as well as from front to back:eek::confused: I started on Friday evening and finished on Sunday evening,well after dark...The neighbours think I'm a nutter.LOL:
I got there in the end though and I'm well pleased with it.The pattern looks a bit "out" on the "fitted" photo,but it is the lens,honestly! When the dividers go back in the pattern looks right. I will refit the strip dividers when I've sprayed them black.
The worst bit was scraping the old foam off the cab lining :mad: nasty job.Tedious.

Got myself some retro dubflectors this week,which I'm well chuffed with.

Anyway,that's where I am with it so far,lots left to do.Got myself a nice set of alloys which will go on when I re insure,along with T4'rus springs.Fitting the kitchen pod is the next mission,along with the curtains,painting the plastics,fitting the split charge.....You know the story I::D
See you around:ILU:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
VERY nice!! I like it a lot! I especially like the ceiling covering. I'd like to do something like that on mine. I bought my van already converted, but the chap who did it didn't bother to do anything with the ceiling and its still got grooves and gouges in it from its previous life as a works van.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VERY nice!! I like it a lot! I especially like the ceiling covering. I'd like to do something like that on mine. I bought my van already converted, but the chap who did it didn't bother to do anything with the ceiling and its still got grooves and gouges in it from its previous life as a works van.
Cheers Impis. Just pick your fabric and off you go T: All the best

·
Registered
306 Posts
nice as chips T:

I do like your windows ....A+

and you keep showing off, theres nothing wrong with being 41 ahumm Rasp:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Cheers Impis. Just pick your fabric and off you go T: All the best
How do you do it then?

I'm guessing you take the roof lining off, cover it with spray glue, and stick on some fabric of your choice. You smooth it all over, then fix it back on to the ceiling.

Sounds simple, but I have no idea how its fixed to the roof - are there screws to undo or what?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you do it then?

I'm guessing you take the roof lining off, cover it with spray glue, and stick on some fabric of your choice. You smooth it all over, then fix it back on to the ceiling.

Sounds simple, but I have no idea how its fixed to the roof - are there screws to undo or what?
I took down the old roof lining boards and re-cut new ones out of 4mm waterproof ply,as I wanted to put in my own lighting and also lose the diagonal cut outs at the rear above the doors.I cut the new one's about 3mm shy all the way around to allow for the thickness of the material.My material is quite thick.You could probably use the original boards I suppose.
Then I rough cut the material,folded it back over itself,to work on half the board at a time,then sprayed the board and material and as you said,smoothed it off with a clean bit of rag to remove any small creases and then did the other half.By working from halfway across the board to the outside each time and it went on easy,no creases or bubbles at all.
The hardest bit is getting the pattern to run true,but by working from back to front and doing one panel at a time,it's not too hard.
I have used the plastic one piece screw and cap covers to do all of my new boards,some people don't like seeing them,but they don't bother me.I have took my time setting them the same distance apart though.
I stuck pieces of silver tape along the length of the van at high level on the sides and marked on it the centres of the original fixing points to avoid the old holes when I was refixing and used black 20mm drywall,self drilling screws to fix the new roof panels inbetween the old fixing holes.It's straight forward enough buddy,go on,go for it and show us your results T: Good luck with it :ILU: ;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Done a bit more to the van.:tu
I brought a set of Baimex curtains direct from Germany.They do the job really well and were easy enough to fit.
Got myself a kitchen pod made up by a local company to my own measurements,top job,really pleased with it.I will happily pass on their details by pm if anyone would like them.They make a variety of units,but I wanted to be able to wake up and sit on the end of the bed and get a brew going without having to sit cross legged on the bed,so the unit is not quite so wide and leaves a bit of legroom....Old age and all that :rolleyes:
Also got myself a roofbox/naughty bed for the kids :D, to slap all the camping gear/kids in when we go away,good job really,as the awning alone will take up most of it !
Took a load of photos of the van and sent them off to the DVLA for reclassifying too,fingers crossed,should find out the result in a week or two.
Next up, wheels and springs T:
Cheers ;)

·
Formerly known as marcus250
871 Posts
Great thread! T:

Just a question though, what are the roof bars off and what roof rack do you have attached to them? We kayak a lot using an inflatable kayak and once its been used and deflated, we wanna keep it out the van and in a top box so the van doesn't get wet inside. any info would be great and how to fit etc!:)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rails were off a Peugeot 406 estate from my local scrappers.I made up some 6" square 4mm thick plates and sikoflexed them to roof underneath each of the three fixing points on the rails and bolted up through the plates to spread the weight.I saw this on the forum and it works well,with no flex.
The bars came with the box.I would suggest getting the rails,then finding some bars that will fit and THEN fitting,when you know the exact distance to set the rails apart.The bars can be well expensive,especially if you want wider ones and if you fit the rails to the roof first,you won't have so much choice on the bar width!
Hope this helps T: Cheers

1 - 20 of 91 Posts