VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a T4 a couple of months back. Its a 2002, 2.5 TDI (88 BHP) with 128K on clock and was kind of worried it was a bit of a lemon.

Steering pulling heavily to left going round M25 was not the best start! Yes, I know take a test drive before you part with your readies

Being a buyer for a living and owning some older classics, I had to remind myself I was dealing with a Modern Classic in the making, so was ready to start scouring for parts and of the mind that nothing cant be sorted....

I don't have bottomless money pit either but given I decided I needed to outsource a bit (given my technical knowledge is mainly vintage 2 strokes) I was lucky to find a local van garage where the mechanic owned his own T4 and had gone through many of the usual pains. He has now performed a cam belt change, swapped rad (spotted leak), new rocker cover (with associated leaks), new starter motor (had a poor aftermarket replacement in past), glowplugs, gear linkage bushes, new front shocks (rears w/springs had to be swapped previously) plus various other belts, seals, covers, filters & service items - the pile of junk on the garage floor was sadly impressive. Along with rectification of a number of historical bodges - that were plain to see. Still some bits to go - brake servo (hissing), vacuum pump (tapping) and correct water pump (no rear) but the van is now very useable and starts on the button.

Why Lambro loves - well this the name of my new business with my wife where we are restoring 2 x 1966 Lambro 3 wheelers for coffee/street business - the T4 (name suggestions welcome) is going to play a big part in helping to get them restored and eventually will be treated to a new paint job (and some replacement panels) and some camper treatment but for now she's a working girl and will try to keep the miles up on her to make sure she is used - ridden and not hidden. As we say in he Lambro/Lambretta world.

Looking forward to sharing future joy & pain. Merry Christmas and Happy T4ing for 2019!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Your T4 has already had more problems than my high mileage 2002 TDI 102HP.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
That's the problem with buying a well used but neglected example ................. big risk, and often large bills. Hopefully you bought cheap so it does not hurt too much.

Sadly there are not so many 'perfect' examples to choose from these days. And depending on what you determine as classic status, even fewer will reach that stage. With road tax exemption being a rolling 40 years and 3 months, there will be even less around by then too.

Enjoy your T4 experience, but just remember someone else will always have their hand on your wallet; other than the wife of course LOL:

Merry Christmas *<:)>*<:)>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts