VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first T4 owned it since may. I found this advertised on pistonheads and managed to seal the deal for £1800. Its a bit rough around the edges but with time it should start to look better! What do you think?

I picked the van up from just outside great yarmouth and i was surprised how will it drove all the way back to yorkshire considering it has done 252K! Its had the belts and clutch done which is a bonus. First jobs were to fix a nasty oil leak, new speedo drive, remove racking, service and give it good clean.

This is how it looks now. Still lots to do. I:

·
Registered
175 Posts
EVENIN ALL
lookin good mate,a blank canvas to make yours how you want it,keep up the good workT:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, good money for the year too T:
EVENIN ALL
lookin good mate,a blank canvas to make yours how you want it,keep up the good workT:
Cheers mate, cant wait to get it how i want it. All work will be done a bit at a time depending on the funds!

I managed to get a nasty oil leak sorted out when i serviced the van. The oil was pooling above the drivers side driveshaft bracket but it was leaking from the gasket on the oil filter mounting bracket (part# 074115441c), it wasnt the easiest fix but well worth it. I changed the gasket, oil cooler o ring and the large washer that holds the bracket to the block. All parts came in at less then a tenner from vw but a good few hours work laid on your back I: I got the belly pan steam cleaned before it got refitted. When it was serviced i will have to replace the front brake caliper flexi hoses, rear discs pads & dust shields (just ordered from just kampers). The next most important job after the mechanics have been sorted is to get it lowered! It sits far to high on those merc c class alloys.

Got all the racking ripped out of the back so its no longer a builders van. I managed to pick up a pair of captains seats cheap. The drivers seat base wanted a small repair done at the local trimmers. I moved the double bench seat to rear for the time being. I had to swop the dash because it full of holes and in poor condition but i managed to pick up a replacement off ebay. While all the cab was stripped out it was vacced and clean. While the das was out i ran a cable to connect the stereo up to a 6 disc changer that is mounted underneath the driver seat. I got a genuine mounting plate off ebay for £12.

The good news is when i had the ply lining out the floor was in excellent condition. No rust issues! Ive replaced the rear tailgate and ive got some repairs to do on th sliding door & drivers side outer sill.
Should have all the brakes sorted out in the next week or two. Then save some money up to sort out the suspension. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice job so far buddy. Looking good. So much so that You've inspired me to stop lurking and do my first post! realy like the bonnet bra. Been deciding on one for a white 1991 t4 LWB cathargo camper. Where did you get it from?

Cheers
Wayne

·
Registered
108 Posts
I picked the van up from just outside great yarmouth and i was surprised how will it drove all the way back to yorkshire considering it has done 252K!
Gotta laugh mate, you're from Yorkshire, went all the way to Great Yarmouth to buy your T4, I live just down the road from Yarmouth, and I went all the way to Manchester to buy my T4.

Thought I was the only one crazy enough to do such a thing :D

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice job so far buddy. Looking good. So much so that You've inspired me to stop lurking and do my first post! realy like the bonnet bra. Been deciding on one for a white 1991 t4 LWB cathargo camper. Where did you get it from?

Cheers
Wayne
Cheers mate, i got my bonnet bra from vanx. http://www.van-x.co.uk/vx-store-4/index.php?route=product/category&path=35_40

Gotta laugh mate, you're from Yorkshire, went all the way to Great Yarmouth to buy your T4, I live just down the road from Yarmouth, and I went all the way to Manchester to buy my T4.

Thought I was the only one crazy enough to do such a thing :D
The things we do!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its been a while but needed to get the van ready for the mot! Ive been working on a bmw 633csi for the past 8 months getting restored having been laid up since 1992 just needs painting now. Just a few photos.

Anyway back to the van, check my brakes out!

Dust shield seen better days

All stripped down

Dust shields compared. I got a new pair from just kampers but they come in silver so i got them powder coated to look original.

Discs removed. Seen better days!

Started rebulid.

Calipers painted & wheels back on.

Then the fronts. Not to bad but i wanted to get them all done. Front brake hoses changed due to them cracking.

All painted up and finished.

Van sailed through the mot with no problems. I:

Well ive been concentrating on the interior, front seat changed to a pair of captains seats

Stripped all the cab including the dash & headlining. I cleaned every where and scrubbed the headlining. I needed to swap the dash because it was in terrible condition. Got it all back together and im very pleased with it all. Just need to fit my new velle chrome door handles and grab handles.

The next job on my list was to put right this ugly repair on the clutch pedal.

It was a nightmare to remove because it had been welded to the van body. I got a replacement from windwelder on here.
Quick delivery and a quality job, no more clutch pedal problems now.

Ive removed all the ply lining from the floors & walls and given the paint work a good clean. Years of dust and grime, i cannot believe how well it came up.

Ive had the velle seats fitted for a while now. Front seats on mushroom bolts and quick release. Just need to sort the rear seat belts out. Just need to re-enforce the seatbelt mounting points but i can do this when i fit all the windows in the rear. I picked up a genuine velle sliding door complete with the glass, central locking and all the interior trim for the bargain price of £180, but its green so that will have to stripped for painting. Still plenty to do! T:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a nasty creaking noise coming from the passenger side and i thought it could be the upper ball joint, so i had a dig round and found the rubber boot split. I thought if im to change the upper ball joints i mat as well go the whole hog! I put my order into brickwerks, wannapart & euro carparts

Full set of ball joints, anti roll bar bushes, Wishbone bushes, Rear trailing arm bushes, Sach super touring shocks & eibachs.
Let the fun begin!:)

First job was to get the front sorted. With the van on axle stands everything got a squirt of plusgas to help things along. So i started with the bottom ball joint, large nut that go's through the arm, quick crack with the hammer and move the arm down then remove the two bolts that fix it to the hub and then remove. I then removed the lower arm but make a note of the rear bolt position so that the geometry is as near as you can get it prior to having a full geometry check at your local garage.

So with the front & rear bolts out the arm was free. I have access to a large floor press but with the size & shape of the i found it
difficult to get them in the right position prior to pressing out the bushes so i had a think. I put the arm in the vice and used a hack saw to cut the old bushes out. Make a note of the bush position in relation to the arm

A couple of cuts and the bush knocked out.

I cleaned up the inner surface with so emery before i refitted the new bush and pulled it in with a piece of threaded bar and large
sockets.

Both arms done and put a side ready for refitting later.

So on with the upper ball joints. Lower shocker bolt removed, drop link removed the upper shock mounting plate undone so that the shocker could be removed from the van.

Shocker in the vice ready for removal from mounting plate.

With the shocker removed it was time to fit the shiney new parts.

Note which way the bushes & washer fits.

With the shocks put a side i moved on i replaced the bush in the droplink. The lower bush was fine so i opted to just to replace the upper bush that fits on the roll bar. A good tug and droplink comes off the arb. Droplink in the vice and bush pressed in.

Note the wear between the new & old bush.

Next up was to change the arb mounts.

Pretty straight with on sercuring bolt and the clamp lifts up. Bush out & well worn out!

Bush replaced and a thin coat of powerflex grease.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the final job was to attack the upper ball joints. First i made a note of the ball joint position. Cleaned all dirt & rust from the top of the ball joint and used some more plusgas.

Removed the lock bolt. Then undo the ball joint nut. It took a while to undo with it only moving a 1/4 of a turn. when undone i jacked the upper arm up and wedged it up so i could prepare the remove the ball joint. First i removed the reating clip.

Next was to remove the joint. I priced up the sealey tool but could not justify the purchase price then have it sat in the garage having used it once or i could of hired one from a forum member. I decided to make my own, i already had couple of bottle jacks so all i needed was some very thick steel and threaded bar! I made this I:

Ball joint never stood a chance with 10 ton at my disposal Rasp:

Drivers side was easier than the passenger side. The passenger side went with a right bang! LOL:
So with the joint removed i just had to recover the large adjustment ready to fit the new joint.

I cleaned up the ball joint recess in the upper arm.

Light lubrication before refitting.

I refitted the large adjustment nut and then proceeded to jack the hub up to push the joint fully home in the upper arm with the
odd tap from the copper hammer.

I refitted the retaining clip then proceeded to put everything back together. New lower ball joint.

A small amount of thread lock on the bolts that hold it into the hub. Hardest part was getting the droplink back on the arb.

But with some larger water pump pliers it went back on. Feeling pleased with myself knowing im good for a few more thousand miles!

Next, getting it lower! H:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now it was time for the job ive wanted to do since i got the van. Its far to high standard.

So back under the van and try to get the threads cleaned up in the torsion bars. And mark the threads up 20mm lower with some tape.

Got my 27mm spanner out and wound them down.

I was lucky that the threads cleaned up well and the nuts were not ceased up. :)

Now the back. Eibach springs, sach super touring shocks & new shocker bushes, trailing arm lower rubber spring seat and nuts from brickwerks.

I jack the van up and undid the lower shocker nut and removed the spring.

I then undid the upper shocker bolt inside the wheel arch. Again threads cleaned and lubed with plusgas and it came undone fine
but this is a known problem area.

So new shocker fitted along with new spring & bushes.

I took the van for a spin so the suspension could settle and im very happy with the results.

A:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts