VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv had my van since june and finally feel like im getting somewhere.

This is what iv done so far.

full re spray to tropical green
lowered
18" alloys
new discs and pads all round
full exhaust
ecu remap
dashboard covererd in leather with sunken 7" lcd screen
all 12v and 240 cables run in the channels.

in the progress of insulating and boarding the back ready for carpeting this weekend.

3/4 r n r bed ordered from streamline campers and birch ply units ordered from daves-t4s

this is my first build and im not a technical person, iv been realying on here and google for advice and knowledge of what to do in which order.

is there anything i have overlooked or tha you think i should do to my buss?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nice to hear your progress.

How did you get on doing the 12v and 240 cables everywhere, are they attached to a leisure battery or anything yet, or have you just done the cabling?

Any further advice on this would be great, I was hoping to do the same before I insulate/ply/carpet... but, I might insulate/ply/carpet and THEN do the cabling at a later date, just not sure how easy it would be to do that way round?!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Nice to hear your progress.

How did you get on doing the 12v and 240 cables everywhere, are they attached to a leisure battery or anything yet, or have you just done the cabling?

Any further advice on this would be great, I was hoping to do the same before I insulate/ply/carpet... but, I might insulate/ply/carpet and THEN do the cabling at a later date, just not sure how easy it would be to do that way round?!
As an electrician my self I was planning to run cabling first as. Running the cable after may cause you to not bother with something if the route is difficult when it's all, in especially units n stuff. Also don't run speakers or signal and power together, (if your having any) not sure of the effect with a small project like a van, but this is a big no no in the industry.

·
Registered
969 Posts
As an electrician my self I was planning to run cabling first as. Running the cable after may cause you to not bother with something if the route is difficult when it's all, in especially units n stuff. Also don't run speakers or signal and power together, (if your having any) not sure of the effect with a small project like a van, but this is a big no no in the industry.
Thanks for the advice. Would I run these cabling between the panel and the insulation, or on top of the insulation between that and the ply? I was hoping to carpet the ply and then attach to the van (rather than carpet once the ply is already installed).

What sort of cabling would I need for what type of stuff? (if I buy a load of it, I've got it then).
Or is it not as simple as that?

Sorry to have hijacked the thread :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
please don't worrie about filling the thread I'm interested in what others are doing/done.
I have only run the cables through the metal channels and popped out where I want the sockets to go. It was tricky getting the mains 240 from the passengers side blank fog lamp where I want the outside socket. I went under the van along the back of the bumper zip tiring to a existing cable.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Only advise I'd give on running cables.. Strap them down well they can vibrate inside panels or against what ever there touching. Especially if you have a sub on the go..

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have only run the cables through the metal channels and popped out where I want the sockets to go. It was tricky getting the mains 240 from the passengers side blank fog lamp where I want the outside socket. I went under the van along the back of the bumper zip tiring to a existing cable.
Okay thanks, I always through the 240v hook up would end up running into the leisure battery somehow (to charge maybe?) so everything could have come from that? I don't know.

So have you got in your mind what you want the 240v to power, and you've run that cable from the fog lamp to the several places in your van that you want it to go? Is that correct? Or have you run the 240v cable to a place that the battery will go. And from that batter all the other cables come from it?

Regarding lighting cables etc, I was under the understanding I would fit a leisure battery (which connects to the main vehicle battery). The leisure battery then connects to what is essentially a fuse board (like in houses) and from that fuse board I would then run all the other cables for lights/sockets etc. So all I would need to do is run the wiring to where I want the fuse box/leisure battery to be (wherever that is)?

Any links to the cabling/wires you used? T:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay thanks, I always through the 240v hook up would end up running into the leisure battery somehow (to charge maybe?) so everything could have come from that? I don't know.

So have you got in your mind what you want the 240v to power, and you've run that cable from the fog lamp to the several places in your van that you want it to go? Is that correct? Or have you run the 240v cable to a place that the battery will go. And from that batter all the other cables come from it?

Regarding lighting cables etc, I was under the understanding I would fit a leisure battery (which connects to the main vehicle battery). The leisure battery then connects to what is essentially a fuse board (like in houses) and from that fuse board I would then run all the other cables for lights/sockets etc. So all I would need to do is run the wiring to where I want the fuse box/leisure battery to be (wherever that is)?

Any links to the cabling/wires you used? T:
Yea sorry I didn't explain that pretty well. The 240 goes from the hook up point (fog light) to a mains trip switch and socket. ( I used a camping pre wired trip switch with 3 sockets) I'm not sure if I want to put a mains charger in there yet or jst the split charge relay from the main battery. Does This make more sence? All my wires return to the same space/area where the leisure battery will be.

·
Registered
969 Posts
With regards to wiring, I found this page VERY useful: General Camper Wiring

Mine looks nothing like it, but it's a good guide!
Thanks! Once I get a fuse box thing, it will probably make more sense so I can visualise. I'll bookmark that link though.

Yea sorry I didn't explain that pretty well. The 240 goes from the hook up point (fog light) to a mains trip switch and socket. ( I used a camping pre wired trip switch with 3 sockets) I'm not sure if I want to put a mains charger in there yet or jst the split charge relay from the main battery. Does This make more sence? All my wires return to the same space/area where the leisure battery will be.
It is just my incompetence, not the way you are explaining it haha.
Thanks though, that has made things more clear. T:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts