VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im coming accross from owning a merc vito that i converted myself for surfing, but now family is getting bigger i needed a bigger van obviously.

after a few dead ends i found this beauty in lancing.

im planning a full better conversion, using some of the knowledge i gained from my vito conversion.

First job, strip it out and clean it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
seen as i had the seats out anyway, time for some angle grinder and drill action on the bulkhead bracket.

first off with B pillar covers, so glad i took these off as there was so much behind them also!!

8mm spot weld drill bit did the trick on the spot welds, now time for the angle grinder

after the angle grinder a good chisel & hammer did the rest...

bulhead bracket removal took about 3 hours all in. a job well worth doing imo.

after a tidy up i was ready to put the seats back in. i decided to slip the conections (like so many) under the mat ready for the day
when i fit a swivel base.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the service done its time to start getting things going...

new ply, foil insulation, insulation tape & silent coat.

took my time applying the silent coat, i have never used this product before. it is very sticky!! i found several pairs of latex gloves
very usefull to save my hands..! 40 sheets is enough to do both sides & tailgate. i only need 3 or so more sheets to finish the opposite wheel arch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive been away with work for a while so progress has been halted. starting back up again now though: Insulation in. wiring and electrics next.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
progress has been slow due to work, family etc etc..

managed to fit a new Bosh battery as starting up on the cold mornings was proving a little touch n go...

screen shot

jobs in the pipe line:

speaker wiring
speaker fitment
reverse cam wiring
fit new stereo
leisure battery / split charge sytem

I NEED TO GET MY FINGER OUT!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so with new toys to fit i found some time to make a start.
OH BTW IF YOU THINKING OF WIRING UP REVERSE CAMERA MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!
new stereo & reverse camera:

first job remover rear tailgate trim panel, there are four nuts to undo on the inside of the tailgate,

2 of which are very difficult to gain access too behind the tailgate door handle, i found a 10mm ring spanner very usefull!!

feed the cable through where the electrics connect up to the number plate lights:

next work out where the center is and position your camera and start feeding cable through the trim.

re-fit the trim and secure the camera in place temp with some tape (once you have checked position after wiring up to stereo i will re fit)

ok the camera i have had this plug on the end, i wanted to remove it to aid feeding it up though the tailgate, and the grommet tubing into the van itself. so i decided to remove it using a stanley knife blade, tease the wires out, BE GENTLE!!

I WOULD ALSO ADVISE TAKING A PICTURE ON YOUR PHONE SO YOU KNOW WHAT ORDER THE CABLES GO BACK IN LATER!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CONTINUED:

ok this part was tricky and took a few attempt and some patients... you need to feed a wire coat hanger down from the small hole located at the top inside of the tail gate (where the grommet tube is) down into the depths of the door area.

SERIOUSLY THIS TOOK A FEW ATTEPTS!!!

attach your camera cable with some tape and pull the coat hanger back up the way you came, take it steady!
once your done it should look similar to this:

Ok so if you thought that bit was hard, this grommet tubing thing is supper hard!! (i actually had a 24hr brake before coming back to the job around this stage)

feed your coat hanger through, be very carefull or you will puncture it!! there is alot of wiring inside here also!!

once through, again attach the cabe to coat hanger, i used extra insulation tape because on my first attempt it came off halfway
through! GUTTED!!
Because it is so rubber and a tight fit i also applied some hand soap to act as a lubricant!!

once your through then pull your wiring through

sit back take a breath, the hardest parts are over!!!

feed the cable through the bodywork and into the van roof area, re-fit your grommet tubing and admire your work!

taking a break again and will probably fit stereo and wire it all up on monday...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so got around to wrapping this up:

now the wiring is inside the van you will need a soldering iron, solder, stanley knife, and insulation tape..

follow the wiring loom along the inside off the roof and cable tie off as needed. When you reach the door pillar (cab area) you need to cut into the loom of wires with a stanley knife, you will need the green wire with black stripe (be carefull as there are wires in there that are black with green stripes!) and the thick brown wire.

working back from the camera power supply you need to splice the red wire to the reverse feed wire (green with black stripe) do this as close to the power pack as possible as you will need the other end to run to the stereo.

ok so now you need to splice into the thick brown wire (earth) wire up the black wire that runs from the power pack and discard the excess.

ok so now you need to run the red wire and the black wire with RCA pin (camera feed) down inside the door frame, i just prized it open with an upholstry tool. Then pop the side of the dash out and run wires to the back of the stereo

once wired up, check it works by selecting reverse...

once your happy its working go back and tidy up your wiring with insulation tape!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so with the reverse camera and stereo now in, time to add in ipod classic hook up & iphone 6 hook up.

Remove the glove box with torx key, dont forget to pop the blanks and get the screws underneath & at the back.
once its out pop out the blank on the back right and use a dremel tool to cut out a hole.

the iphone 6 cable come up underneath the central tray, again used dremmel to nick a gap for the cable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx, one thing I have noticed is my tool collection has doubled in size!

I don't know what Im spending more on! Tools or the bus!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
with new stereo of co has to come new speakers!! :)

[/url]

theres a full thread on here about fitting so i will skim over most of it.

tweeters going in

these conections are absolutely USELESS!! so i went for direct soldering iron option

for the mounts cut out some silent coat to stick behind them against the metal T:

speakers and mounts in

apply more silent coat to the door, i was tempted to remove the pannel and apply it directly to the inside of the door but after talking to lots of people i decided this was just as good. and obviously easier..lol

re apply the door card, and blow your eardrums out :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm yet to do my door cards in silent coat ... I've got some saved :)

Do you speakers sound any better??? Mine as standard are petty good with the new head unit.

I've wired head unit through a relay so it come on from leisure battery via a switch too so got tubes while camping!!!
Give me a pm of you wanna know how it's was pretty easy and just needed a 5 pin relay.

:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts