VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So thought I'd post up my build and progress so far.

On a relatively tight budget so doing everything I can myself, buying what I can used where possible.

Picked up a well looked after T5 with 140,000 miles for good money.

When I bought her....

and what I came from, quite the change but not missed the Audi yet!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She had a few dents and a little rough around the edges, did my best to address them. Cleaned out the rear, surprising how much dirt was under the ply but happy to see how well it cleans up still! Also happy to see factory sound deadening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked into it for a while and decided to facelift the T5. I'm sure I could have better spent the money but love the look. Managed to get some bargains to do it cheap, headlights £30! Front bumper and bonnet £100 each, grill £20, lower splitter £50 and did everything myself following the info on this forum. Bumoer is still in primer at this point. Also fitted 20" Land Rover wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So always wanted something slightly different so decided to 2 tone the T5 with Plastidip. A quick photoshop;

In reality....

Thats how she sits at the moment. An orange pinstripe is on the way the seperate the silver and black, also got some door handle covers that need colour coding. Im deliberating whether to paint the wheels black or not, opinions? :*

·
Total Van Newbie
199 Posts
What a transformation!

Plastidip looks great, what a good idea, is it a bit tougher than standard paint?

Wheels wise I think I'd stick to silver to break up the black, although maybe black with orange lip or rim protector would go well with the pinstripe?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Looked into plasti dip alot. Its definatly not stronger than paint, but its a hell of a lot easier to touch up. It's durable enough to pressure wash etc, its been on y rear bumper for 5 months and still looks great. Had to fill in some damage on the lower half with filler and didnt want to fork out for a respray. I've got the sprayer so in a few years i'll touch it up, may even change colours.

Going to concentrate on th inside now, windows in a few weeks, putting wires in to prepare for the leisure battery then fully carpet. Going to build my own U shape lounge with a few cupboards outside. Cooking area will be a custom designed pull out kitchen under the tailgate as I cant afford a pop top. Hoping to have it mostly done this year! I:

·
Total Van Newbie
199 Posts
Just spent so long looking at plastidip... I've got an ABT grill that's the wrong colour I've been wanting to paint but not wanting to it up, just ordered some gunmetal grey plastidip, reckon that'll look good on a silver van with gunmetal grey wheels. Watch this space! Thanks for the heads up!

Other plans sound ace - I cook outside the van 100% - don't want it stinking as it's my daily.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Hey Rich, looks good and plans sound spot on, looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Never really seen plasti-dip up close, but that looks the dogs and original, well done mate A:

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks awesome - great job - where?swhich splitter did you get? Thinking of split 'dipping' my white van and found your pics - very tempting seeing how well yours tunred out - what does it look like at the back with the two-tone? or did you leave the rear doors?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts