VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is basically just to continue my previous thread "An unusual question ETC." which gives details of my plans and progress to date. I think the new title better describes my intentions.
I am planning to abandon my plans to fit the used pop top that I bought for my conversion and intend to go down the High top route. I really would like to find a mid top roof to buy, or a high to cut down and convert to something like the mid roof height. I would like to hear from anyone that has fitted a high top themselves and would welcome any advice - other than DON'T do it. I would be particularly interested in finding out a little more about the gutter arrangements. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, some time has passed since I started looking for a mid height Hi top for my van and I have had no luck. I have also looked at the option of buying a roof and carrying out a cut and shut job on that. That does seem to be an awful lot of work and would be easier to make a new pattern and take a mould off of that, However as I am not getting any younger and we do want to use our bus this year it is probable that I shall end up buying a hard top and fitting it myself. I still think that a top that was in between the standard mid roof and high roof would be far more asthetically pleasing, but as my bus is quite old and high mileage the costs and time do need to be considered. What gutter arrangements are common, or do we just live with water running past (or into) the door openings.? Before starting any hi top fitting I will post a couple of pics of what I have already done (basically exactly as drawn in my seat question post) as I will have to remove
everything Prior to cutting out the roof. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do seem to be the only person commenting on this thread, but I would appreciate any comments about an underfloor fresh water tank. I do not intend to fit a grey water tank, but will use the time honoured drop pipe into an external ground mounted recepticle (tank/ bucket WHY) for that. I am aware that the usual place would be in front of the spare wheel, but I have a Propex gas tank which is designed to go there - are there any other fairly standard (rather than 1 off) solutions. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have just braved the wind (not as bad as expected here) and taken a few pics of my van prior to removing everything to fit the hightop.I have used lightweight poplar plywood for the furniture and tambour doors for the slatted kitchen unit doors. I used kitchen cabinet paint from B&Q roller applied to all the furniture. I will now try to add the pics. I will start with the plan that I showed in my other thread. Geoff. Circuit component Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel
Automotive design Gas Machine Automotive exterior Aluminium
Automotive design Gas Plumbing Composite material Machine
Window Plant Automotive exterior Vehicle door Tints and shades
Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Personal luxury car
Hood Grey Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle door
Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design
Comfort Sleeve Collar Blazer Sportswear

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our bed consists of the rear seat folded flat with a hinged flap at either end which folds out to give a 6' long "cuddly width" small double. The mattress is folded in half and strapped to the centre section so travels on the seat back with lightweight bedding in the folded mattress. I had intended to collect the high top today, but delayed collection untill next week when hopefully the weather will be a bit better.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeah I've got neck ache Geoff funny as. (y) :D................ I thought it might be cool for you to have a reply buddy ,damn they make ya work hard here for that, I guess it's like our self based society Geoff, everyone want's their own Q's answered but can't really be assed to encourage another...............I think I average a reply for every 500 views well 14K divided by 486 is somewhere around that it's a shame bro there is so much knowledge here but folks don't really want to pay into that with their time

harsh world buddy:( Head up mate !!

Have ya got ya high top yet Geoff?

take care mucker

stu

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Soundz, thanks for bothering to reply and for your words of encouragement. You are dead right about the difficulty in getting a decent thread going. I had thought that as I started off by just doing a quick and inexpensive conversion it may have generated some interest. My conversion will still be done on a very tight budget (spent all my money back in my youth when I could really enjoy my expensive hobbies) so now have to spend less, but still like comfort. I have over the years converted several vans (mainly Ducato), but thought that a t5 would double as an everyday vehicle, a camper and a tow tug for the boat that I have just built, but not yet had afloat. Actually I notice that the boat is visible at the end of my drive through the open tailgate in one of the pics I posted a few days ago. I have sorted the high top and intended to collect it last week, but the storm warnings put me off as I am going to collect it by stapping it on top of the van where it is going to end up! This week has been busy and still not perfect weather so I will collect the roof next week. I did really want a roof height between the mid and high for asthetic reasons, but on looking into making a pattern, mould and moulding it is just too much work, and butchering an existing moulding would be nearly as bad so I will have to try to improve the looks with some clever graphics - any ideas? Anyway I now intend to search your posts and replies (or lack of) so I hope that I have an interesting evening. Best regards. Geoff.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I hope you enjoy my madness Geoff. possibly not in ways you expected :D ..... search team blue bud most of my insanity is lurking there

.tis a shame buddy, your previous knowledge and experience should really count to the next guy in your lower budget out look for your build things are tight for many.... ( me too )...........but so many read but CBA to reply one never really knows if anything one shares is of use to another.....I strongly suspect your nouce your aquired knowledge will help folks bro it's just you'll never know.............way of the world I guess mate...that's said with a degree of sadness buddy

I paint stuff Geoff but you need H @ 64 split, to help with clever graphics ;)

when you get that roof on make me aware ( I'm not very bright on fora Geoff I need prodding a bit ) if he doesn't find you first that is, and I'll moan at him until he gives in(y) He's talented, just don't let him know I said that mate I'll never hear the last of it:ROFLMAO:

all the luck buddy

stu

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Cheers Stu! 😂
There's a good few threads on this forum that seem to fly under the radar!

It's interesting to see a different layout for conversion in the back of a T5 rather than the usual kitchen down the drivers side that everyone seems to opt for.
The high roof conversion sounds interesting - and quite unusual and I suspect is perhaps why you've not had replies.
I expect most people will go down the easier route of fitting a pop top rather than a permanent high-top and as you've mentioned already, the high-top isn't the most aesthetically pleasing option and the mid-height that VW offer looks far better.
I think the other consideration is simple things like height barriers for car parks etc. - as a T5 is more often used as a daily driver, height restrictions are more of a consideration than a 'proper' motorhome.

I wasn't aware you could get an high top to fit separately so I'd be interested to see what your roof looks like when you collect it and how you go about attaching it securely to your van!
I'm guessing if you have the skills to build a boat you have the skills to graft a high top on to a T5!

Either way - I'd be happy to help create some graphics once you've got the roof and I'll keep an eye on this thread for your progress 👍

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi 64 SPLIT, thanks for your comments. When I have collected the high top I will post a couple of pics. I am not worried about fitting the top, they are basically just bonded on with a high quality PU adhesive. Being a belt and braces type I shall probably also run a couple of layers of FG mat all around the inside to form a flange linking the top to the vehicle body and may bond on brackets to bolt down to the captive fixings in the gutters. The reason that I chose a LWB bus and a less common layout was to enable to get better toilet facilities and to keep the original dual seat in the second row which will give an eating area and the ability to carry 2 rear passengers within a "social" distance whilst traveling. I think this sort of layout is becoming more common now that the RIB Neptune seating system is becoming more popular. I am afraid that Neptune seats are way above my budget, and my bus is far too old to spend that sort of money on even if we had it!!! I have spent a fair bit of time searching for a mid height roof or even a lowish high top, but have only been able to find a fairly high one - hence my need to find some imaginative graphics to try to improve things. When I do start to fit the top it is my intention to only make the cut from the back of the cab roof and to leave the rearmost spar in position which will give us a couple of decent overhead areas for the stowage of screen blinds, camping equipment and various bits of paraphernalia that SWMBO insists that we cannot do without. With regards to the graphics design, thanks for your offer to help. I have been scouring the web for ideas and have seen a van with a similar roof that I think looks quite good, but it is a white van with a white roof whereas my van is dark grey metalic, but the high top is and will remain white. If I can find the pic I will post it on here. Do you actually make your own decals as a business? If you do I am desperate to get some graphics sorted to make my boat look stunning. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will try to post the picture that I referred to earlier. As my van now has tinted windows, I had thought about possibly adding some stylish gloss black mock windows in the high top if it improves the looks. Geoff. Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Land vehicle

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another idea that I am considering due to limited kitchen cupboard space is to go for an underslung fresh water storage tank. I do not think that the spare wheel surround tank will be any good as I have a propex (as yet unfitted) gas tank that I think fits in the space in front of the spare wheel. My current thoughts are to get or make a tank that will fit where the spare is and perhaps try to find some other place that a space saver spare would fit, or else just get one of the aerosol systems available on some new vehicles. Has anyone done something similar? or any other ideas please. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi B&T, I have already checked out CAK Tanks and they seem to only do fairly small tanks and removal of the spare would enable a a bigger tank. I intend to just drop the grey water waste out through the floor and into a suitable portable container.I totally agree about the spray gunk comments, but if I get a puncture I call the AA. The AA have informed me that is the vehicle has no spare wheel they will not attend to the problem, but if it has the spray kit and a jack they wil lattend even if it is a blowout and not a puncture. I was hoping there may be a space underneath somewhere for a space saver, but I suspect not. No decisions made about this yet, but the reason that I would like an underslung tank is that I would also like to fit a 6 litre warm water system somewhere - just showing my Ducato roots
I suppose. I will probably end up keeping my spare wheel and the 25ltr cold only tank under the kitchen worktop! Geoff.

·
Registered
15,824 Posts
Nothing springs to mind that would house the spare wheel in a different position other than a rear door mount.
Do you need a big tank ? Plan to be off grid for long ? As opposed to a smaller tank and more frequent refilling.
Also have to consider the extra weight .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing springs to mind that would house the spare wheel in a different position other than a rear door mount.
Do you need a big tank ? Plan to be off grid for long ? As opposed to a smaller tank and more frequent refilling.
Also have to consider the extra weight .
Thanks for your comments B&T. We only use CC sites when we are away, but we do often have days out and picnics, so we do not really need a lot of water, but it is far easier to fill a tank through an inlet point rather than having to take a portable tank out of our small undersink cupboard to fill. Sad about the spare as I definitely do not want a TG mounted spare so will almost certainly keep my 25ltr undersink cold only system. I am away at the crack of dawn tomorrow to collect my high roof - now there is some extra weight for you! Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How far away is the top ? And how are shipping it back ? Assuming you're fitting it yourself ?
The eagle has landed! I collected the high top today (nearly 300 mile round trip). I had intended to collect it on the roof of my t5, the same way that I collected the pop top roof (which can now be sold), but my wife felt that it would be better to use her Smart cat trailer. The top is unused and has never been fitted, (new other). I may try to post a pic of it on the trailer tomorrow. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
High top on trailer - it is an SCA top for a LWB t5. I did look on the SCA web page, but could only find a HT for the SWB, so I do not know if the LWB version is now dicontinued. Geoff.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

1 - 20 of 68 Posts