VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
My pop top roofs (1x LWB, 1x SWB) have been on the classified lifestyle section for 5 days now and not even had a single hit between them so I am going to list them on FB marketplace for another 5 days and if there is no interest I will list them on the bay. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Having had no response to selling my poptops on this forum I decided to give FB a try. Result - lwb top sold (and now fitted) and someone is coming to view the swb top this week. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Back to my build!!! Iwas so inspired by the speed with which the buyer of my lwb poptop just got on and fitted it that I decided that I would start my hi top fitting this week. Today I removed our camping equipment from the van then took out the nearside furniture, sheeted in the windows, seats and galley units, removed the headlining and pillar coverings, drilled a hole in each corner of the aperture I wanted, marked the lines linking the holes and armed with a 125mm long jigsaw blade just went for it (actually I let my friend loose with the JS). It did not take long to cut the panel out and smooth the cut edges and prime them. Prior to cutting the hole we did place the roof in position and applied blue masking tape to the van marking the position bottom edge of the roof all round. The roof is an SCA roof and is quite heavy and very strong. It took 4 men to lift the top which then had to be removed to make the cutout. A very generous (double) large bead of PU adhesive was applied to the cleaned van roof immediately above the blue tape and the roof was once again lifted in position and carefully lowered down onto the mastic. It was a lovely warm day and the mastic was quite soft and the roof squashed down onto it beautifully. I had intended (and had straps on hand) to place and tension staps over the roof and around the vans girth, but the way the the heavy roof settled itself onto the mastic bed decided that this was not necessary. Sorry if this rite up is a bit long winded, but I thought that it may give a little assurance to anyone who thought thought it was beyond them. Whilst I am sure that the roof is very well secured, tomorrow I intend to bond the roof to the van body, effectively making a strong fibreglass angle between the side of the hitop and the van roof. The edge of this angle will then be mechanically fixed to the remaining part of the van roof. In the interest of structural stability and storage space I decided to only cut out 3 roof spars to enable me to have top lockers to the front and rear of the van. Geoff. Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Mode of transport Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
FG angles now made and bolted to van roof. I have also drilled out the spot welds on the roof level brackets that the hand holds were fixed to and removed them. I did read somewhere that these brackets were often cut down, but I thought it better to remove them completely. I have moved the kitchen "pod" back about 55mm to give a bit more space to get past the midrow dual seat. Tomorrow I shall start to look at working out the top locker layout and as there is so much height inside now I think that I will include provision for a high level bed support arrangement. Has anyone used a slatted type bed base that would just slide into a groove under the top lockers, or maybe something like a roller shutter door arrangement that would just roll up? Any thoughts anyone? Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Top lockers now made and trial fitted. I am waiting to get corner profiles to finish them off. I may post a couple of pics of the trial fit later if they come out. Geoff.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Fantastic progress on this! Really interesting to see something different to the usual pop-top set up and credit to you for DIY-ing a high-top. Definitely not something I've seen done before.
Might not be to everyone's taste but the internal space and storage looks fantastic!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Fantastic progress on this! Really interesting to see something different to the usual pop-top set up and credit to you for DIY-ing a high-top. Definitely not something I've seen done before.
Might not be to everyone's taste but the internal space and storage looks fantastic!
Thanks for your comments. I know that the poptop is far more popular than the hightop, as I said I bought and then sold a really nice poptop, but then decided that for us a hightop was more practical even tough a poptop is asthetically more pleasing. I had hoped to source a medium high top, but was unable to find one. Having bought and now fitted the top I am 100% sure that it was the correct decision for ourselves (it's an age thing!). The top lockers are now painted and fully assembled. Tracks for the TL doors are now all made and fitted and the tambour slats and handles are now in the kitchen side lockers, the other side TL slats and handles should be fitted tomorrow. The top lockers are fairly shallow as I have made provision for a high level bed (36" wide) to slide underneath them. I now think that my quick cheap conversion is beginning to turn into the transporter that thinks it is a motorhome!!!. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Both side top lockers now fitted and the led lights wiring laid in the under locker roof cut out side trims. On the passenger side I have refitted the three courtesy lights that were originally in the roof. I have spent most of today under the van removing the plastic covers (terrible job due to rusty screws that are 17 years old). Those covers will not be going back on, but will be omitted to facilitate the 12ltr gas store gas tank that I bought to save having an internal gas bottle taking up cupboard space. I have also decided to omit the spare wheel as the space with the cover and wheel leaves space for me to make a decent size FW tank. Geoff. Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Light Shade Lighting Mode of transport Automotive exterior

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Underslung tank gas now fitted, but not yet connected up. This kit comes with a purpose made SS frame and sits between the 2 frame rails immediately in front of the spare wheel position. i will probably start making the FW tank tomorrow. Led for interior arrived today. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Can you fill the underslung gas tank from any lpg fuel pump? It's coming along nicely btw.
Yes - and the gas is (or was) less than half the price of bottled gas. I have had an underslung gas tank on most of my campers, not just because of the price, but also because SWMBO always complains about lack of storage space. I am therefore also fitting an underfloor (replacing spare wheel) 70 ltr.water tank. On my previous vehicles (Fiat Ducato's) I have also fitted an underslung waste tank, but for this van I am just going to drop the waste down into an external loose can
which will travel in the loo. Geoff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I have now fitted the high pressure fill point to a position under the rear bumper and protected by the towbar. The tank was a bit awkward to fit due to the fact the the vehicle was jacked up and supported by axle stands. It would have been easier if I had use of a pit or vehicle lift. With the plastic covers removed the underside looks quite tidy for a high mileage van of this age (2005). All original paint, some surface rust at the seems, but no holes or anything that needs welding. I am thinking about getting the area where the panels were wax oiled or something similar prior to fitting the water tank. The tank mould was made yesterday and laid up this morning. Geoff.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Rolling

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Water tank now made and trial installed using the spare wheel space and support carrier. After the pic was taken I fitted the 2nd SW carrier bolt and tightened both bolts up fully. the tank fits perfectly and is very solidly fixed the the van. Tomorrow I hope to start to install the connectors (fill, overflow, outlet and drain). Geoff. Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Forgot to say that for the time being I do not have time to sort out any surface rust treatment or underseal as we are going to Cornwall for a couple of weeks in the van mid August. that treatment will have to wait until later. Geoff.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts