VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right here goes, please bear with me as this is my first build thread. After being inspired (read jealous) of the likes of General Lee, Maude and ant821, I have, for a long time, longed for a tear drop trailer.

I would love to buy one of Keith's creations to support his new venture, or buy Lee's baby blue one, but finances dictate otherwise!

So when a flatbed trailer, 6'6" X 4', in need of attention, became available at a very reasonable price of £10, I just could not resist. :jiggy

So I set about planning my build, but christ almighty, it has taken over my head. All I think about is teardrops!!:eek:

Any ways, after a lot of grinding, welding, and black hammerite, and a set of new suspension units and a jockey wheel, the chassis is ready to roll!A:

After taking it for a test run, it was back under cover for more hammerite!

Then it was a trip to the timber merchants to buy some sheets of exterior ply.

This is as far as I got, but will update as I go along!!!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Had quite a productive day today, got quite a lot done, so thought I'd post up some more pictures. Takes a while to remember to take photos during everything, normally just get head down and crack on, but have to keep stopping to take some snaps!

After much debating whether or not I have the right shape, Missus wants this, I want that, decide to go with what will be best all round. (boring) Then comes the nerve racking bit of cutting it out:eek:

Then onto the base, trying to get it square, level, strong enough.....etc.:confused:
Dont think it will fall apart in a hurry, I have used so much glue and so many screws, it is unreal:eek:

Then, I had an idea!!!:D :D :D :D :D As the trailer started off life as a flatbed, I still have the alloy checker plate, it would be very useful if I could still use it as a flatbed........ soooooooo, I have designed and built the teardrop, so that it can be removed (pod like) and the alloy bed put back on, so it is a multi use trailer!:jiggy :jiggy :jiggy I thought this was brilliant.:D The plan is to get another sheet of ply, laminate the alloy checker plate to it, then it will be bolted onto the bed when teardrop is taken off. Will sort this out when pod is done!!!!

Then came the part to start putting it all together

Unfortunately, the bin lids are now off school, so work will probably be put on hold...Dohhhhsy: :bhd

Will update if I manage to sneak out and gain any progress!:db

·
Registered
190 Posts
In a day you've got that far ????? It would take me longer to find my tools !! Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Keep it going Dave me boy T:

can you keep a tally of roughly how long if takes for reference, reckon you will surprise yourself :D

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice one Dave! T:

Look forward to seeing it at Lobb unless you fancy a test run down to Kernow first!!:D

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Good luck with your build, interesting keep the photos goingT:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looking good dave, have you got jane knocking up some curtains for it ??
Wont need curtains!!! There will be no windows, just throw ronnie & reggie in there and lock the door!I:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally decided to go down the colour coded route, so the hunt was on to get some paint to match. Just simply cannot afford to get it sprayed professionally, so another method is needed. After a lot of driving round and collecting a rainforest worth of green colour match cards, could not get it close enough for my liking!:(

Went into B&Q, and they have a great machine that uses laser, to match up colour as near as is possible, so after unscrewing my wing mirror in the car park, took it in and 2 minutes later I have a tester pot of exterior gloss, which is more or less a spot on match.T: Happy days:D

Excuse the bit of cardboard, does not really do it justiceI:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been busy again today!!! Started off by marking out and cutting the hole for the door.

Then started boarding the inside of the roof, (not an easy job on your own)

Then sealed all the joints and routed a few cables for the front marker lights.

Then did the cabling underneath the chassis for the road lights. This socket is at the rear, in preparation for when the pod is demounted. This way, I can plug a light board on when used as a flat bed trailer.

Then sorted out the plug holder and the hitch

Excuse the photos, they are taken on an iphone!!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Done a bit more today, firstly started on the wiring for the lighting at the back, ie brakes, indicators etc.

Then started on the electrics inside, for the 240v hook up side of things. Put a hook up point underneath the chassis to hide it.
(That red spot is blood from my knuckle rash....)

Then started routing wires for the plug sockets and lights, through a fuse board to make it extra safe.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts