VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new around here and have only had my 1.9TD T4 for 4 months. I had the timing belt, water pump, all fluids and filters changed when I bought it and I have now done 5K miles- including a road trip to Biarritz. I changed the oil and filter today and found a piece of the timing belt had come away and had fallen into the engine cover below. Its a whole strip of one of the ridges that run around the inside of the belt. You can see on the belt itself that one side is more frayed than the other and it doesn't cover the whole width of the rollers, unlike the secondary belt, which does. I assuming this is a pretty bad thing to happen after only 5K but I don't know how to approach the guy who did the work. Is this a common thing to happen and is it as serious as I think? Should I take it back to the same guy or should I write it off anf get another place to change it and make sure they fit a genuine VW part?

Very grateful for any advice or insight anyone could share with me.

Ninja Chris

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i would seriously consider not driving it untill its sorted, could turn out to be very costly :eek:

id deffo go with simon (coleset4) and take it back or better still get it towed there surely after only 5000 miles you should have some sort of garantee. ?

andy

·
Registered
46 Posts
sound like your talking about the alternator belt or the power steering belt as a timing belt has teeth and not ribs and its behind a cover so probably wouldnt have fallen out on to the undertray with out damaging the timing belt cover. I would take it back to the same guy who did the work.
Doesnt matter about using a non genuine vw one as they dont make them anyway they just have their stamp put on them. Put some picks up so someone can tell which belt it is for sure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sound like your talking about the alternator belt or the power steering belt as a timing belt has teeth and not ribs and its behind a cover so probably wouldnt have fallen out on to the undertray with out damaging the timing belt cover. I would take it back to the same guy who did the work.
Doesnt matter about using a non genuine vw one as they dont make them anyway they just have their stamp put on them. Put some picks up so someone can tell which belt it is for sure.
This is bang-on, thank you Trig! I thought that the belt that went round the alternator was the timing belt but apparently not. So that is really great news! I will get a pic this avo and post it up. Thank you all for your advice. I will certainly be taking this back. Does anyone know if the alternator belt gets changed with the timing belt? If not then I suppose its a straight swap for a new one and my baby will be all good. T:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
sound like your talking about the alternator belt or the power steering belt as a timing belt has teeth and not ribs
ooops I: i should have took more notice of what you wrote soz ;)

anyway yea id also say alternator or power steering, as for doing them both together as one job mate i wouldnt imagine it would have been changed unless you asked them to do it at same time ? so wouldnt bother taking it back just stick a new belt on there mate and your baby will be all good T:

andy

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
alternator belt not done at same time as cam belt.

get it changed and ask him to check the state of the pulley thing (cant remember what its called) it has a habit of wearing and making a horrible noise. I had belt and pulley done i think parts were about 70 quid.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had the same problem , had the whole top half of my engine re done all new valves gasgets etc etc new belt 2 months and 3k later it shredded another belt , took it back and they said the side walls on my pully tensioner had descintergrated and this was causing it to shred the belt.

If you can check that your pullys are |_| shaped and not missing and small peices , if it is it would'nt of happend recently and as i said to the garage that did mine , they should of noticed it when changing the belt.

All the best with that one buddy .. hope this helpsT:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello again everyone, massive thanks for all the information and advice. I have just taken a few pics of the belt and pulleys if anyone is terribly interested in seeing them.

On Munch & Rhinochaser's advice I will get it swapped this w'end.

I reckon that's my £10 joining fee straight back to me in wisdom before I've even paid!
:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts