VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right, extremely annoyed that i took my van for a car wash ( second time ive used one) as i was in a rush and it neded cleaning. took it to warwick at a petrol station, only for the bloody thing to brake my arieal, and cracked both side wing mirrors! extremely annoyed as a t4 is everyones pride and joy and currently on a budget to convert this. they said if u looked at the car wash poster theres small writing at the bottom. ive been in one before and it was perfectly fine, wasnt expecting this!

so now im in need to get two wing mirrors, and does anyone know the best place to get it sprayed to the colour of my van which is gun metal grey?

thanks vwsurf :ILU:

*<:)>

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
right, extremely annoyed that i took my van for a car wash ( second time ive used one) as i was in a rush and it neded cleaning. took it to warwick at a petrol station, only for the bloody thing to brake my arieal, and cracked both side wing mirrors! extremely annoyed as a t4 is everyones pride and joy and currently on a budget to convert this. they said if u looked at the car wash poster theres small writing at the bottom. ive been in one before and it was perfectly fine, wasnt expecting this!

so now im in need to get two wing mirrors, and does anyone know the best place to get it sprayed to the colour of my van which is gun metal grey?

*<:)>
Huge bummer matey, feel sorry for you, as i know how you feel.
I would never ever use a car wash as not only are they prone to scratching your paint you end up with more damage than you go in with. :( :eek:

i know you said you were in a rush, but speaking from experience, its always best to spend the extra time doing it by hand.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Name and shame the destructive car wash.... We should be on safe ground as I've never known a car wash to mount a legal action :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
they said if u looked at the car wash poster theres small writing at the bottom./QUOTE]Sorry to hear that, but do you know what this writing said?

If the car wash damaged your vehicle and as long as you had followed the instructions then they are liable, disclaimer or no disclaimer. I would write a letter to the manager and take it from there. Keep copies of all paperwork and be prepared to take them to court.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
feel sorry for you mate....but 2 points here..T:

1st never ever use car washs...brushes feel of grit etc...no...:(

2nd never use hand car wash places etc,same bucket and cloth for every car,so that big 4 x 4 thats just been through before you,with all the dirt and grit,splashed around in the bucket then rubbed all over your van...no..:(

if you cant wash your own van,or it aint possible for you..either take to a hand jet wash at garage where you clean your self,take your own bucket and shampoo or let it go rat look...:D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What Si said!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Couldn't agree more, would rather mine be dirty for a few days, than let anyone else wash it, not even my missus!!I:(like she ever would anyway!:D)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Saw an "s class" merc get battered in a conveyer wash once apparentely the previous car had lost its rear wiper which then proceeded to hammer its way accross the bonnet, roof and boot lid of said merc doing both front and rear windscreens in the process:eek::eek:. i am fairly sure the carwash was insured for the damage but seeing the blokes face when he got out wringing wet through was a picture..i am ashamed to say i did let out a little chuckleLOL:LOL:LOL:
As too your situation, as has been said as long as you followed the stated procedure you can claim and they should have cover.T:T:

·
Registered
487 Posts

Google "Wing Mirror Man" in Bury (0161 763 0800)- just had heated/electric one for my T5 colour coded and posted in three days £120 ish.*<:)>

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right been in touch with area manager and hes having none of it, ashame hes just not bothered, defo gonna write a letter up and send it them. surely they have to pay for damages as the £5 wash has cost me over £100 in damage. ive only been to a car wash near me and it was fine ( only it left my side bars dirty.....) never again shall i go thru a car wash.

the cheapest way ive found to get a new wing mirror -
vw garage told me the exact color code for my van and they sell 300ml cans of it for £14 ish. and now just to find a decent priced wing mirror on the net ( ebay..?T:)

not to sure whats the best primer to use, im hoping the range have some decent stuff, any ideas?

vwsurf*<:)>

merry christmas to all of t4 forums

·
Registered
694 Posts
right been in touch with area manager and hes having none of it, ashame hes just not bothered, defo gonna write a letter up and send it them. surely they have to pay for damages as the £5 wash has cost me over £100 in damage.
As long as you weren't negligent for example not following instructions or ignoring a sign saying "not suitable for vans" then it is definitely worth your while.

Get a quote to repair the damage and enclose it with your letter. Keep it brief and to the point and send recorded delivery, keep a copy of your letter and of the proof of delivery. If they refuse to pay for the damage, send a "letter before action" and then file a claim through the small claims track of the County Court. Cost was around £120 last time I did this and it is quite straightforward, you are not liable for any additional costs and can complete the whole process online. They will cave in as soon as they see that you have made it official and are serious about pursuing your claim.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/

Best of luck! *<:)>

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks mate im gonna defo try and get something from it as money doesnt grow on trees ( we can wish)
he basically said theres small writing at the bottom of the poster at owners risk no damages will be paid for, or something along those lines. is it still worth the effort to make a claim? thsnks all for the help aswell

vwsurf :ILU:

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Im guessing its the IMO car wash at warwick Tesco.
Defo take it further bud.

BTW, we have a Karcher power washer at work and it only takes me about 15mins to give the van a quick clean with this.
Well worth getting hold of oneT:

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Im guessing its the IMO car wash at warwick Tesco.
Defo take it further bud.

BTW, we have a Karcher power washer at work and it only takes me about 15mins to give the van a quick clean with this.
Well worth getting hold of oneT:
yup, wash mine with a karcher ever week, and a good wash once a month, only take 10 mins.

id make a claim mate, as far as im aware its for them then to prove that the machine was not faulty, which is fairly hard as even regular inspection records don't prove the machine wasn't faulty.

would it be worth contacting your insurance company? its could be classed as an accident and they may pursue it for you?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its the one on the warwick road? near the castle and greyhound pub
i shall defo do that mate thanks very much, and ill look into how much they are T:
defo worth while and im sure they wont put u in £100 bloody debt

vwsurf:ILU:*<:)>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had a garage carwash smash off the bonnet on my XR2 many many years ago.
They gave me a full tank of fuel and offered to repair the car.

I would persue this and seek legal advice (should be free with your insurance), ignore disclaimers they are just calling your bluff.

On another note, I tried to take mine in the local ARC wash but the guy said my T4 won't fit.
Thought about buying a nice shiny new karcher thingy from Costco, but my £20 woolworths pressure washer will not give up the bloody ghost!, I have given it constant abuse and will not break!.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bloody hell that aint bad is it, hope i get the ame outcome *<:)>

woolworths = quality...lolI:

im gonna purchase one of these, car wash was such a bad idea!

merry christmas

vwsurf:ILU:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Mechanical carwash... wasn't ever going to end well really.
Buy a cheap PW and snow foam lance and have a quick research on how to wash you van properly using 2 buckets and a lambs wool mit. Its the second biggest investment for many peepz yet its astonishing how many don't know how to clean and protect their beloved car/van.. admittedly many dont care either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im in need of help please, where can i get the correct primer to spray the wing mirror so i can spray it the gun metal grey?

thanks vwsurf:ILU:*<:)>
Get some grey "high build" primer, most good motor factors should have it. Give the wing mirrors a good rub with some p400 wet and dry and some water before you prime them, then go over them with some p1200 wet and dry with water before you topcoat them, should come out lovely.

Bad luck with the carwash dude!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts