VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing worse than being on the back of a recovery truck:( joining the m20 m-way this afternoon lost power and then revved it's off All by itself before stopping. looks like the turbo has sucked the oil out and the engine stopped but also puked oil out the front over the front bumper,bonnet and light. Looks like it's going to be an expensive xmas:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
6,506 Posts
Sugar. Thats not good. I've not heard of a T5 diesel running away before. I know BMW 3.0 diesels do it. Have you had any work done on the van recently? I dont suppose you checked the oil level recently? What engine is it and was it chipped or modified in any way?

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sugar. Thats not good. I've not heard of a T5 diesel running away before. I know BMW 3.0 diesels do it. Have you had any work done on the van recently? I dont suppose you checked the oil level recently? What engine is it and was it chipped or modified in any way?
Work done.....no, serviced yes 10k ago remapped 174 to 205 90k ago no tell tail until it went AWOL bottom end now rattles due to no oil but has now but hit the magic rpm for the turbo to work and red lines with loads of white smoke:( got recovery to the garage tomorrow so see what he has to say:(:(:(:(:(. That's loads of money merry Xmas. Should have ordered the new van.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Could be just turbo mate if its revved its head off.id say go for the turbo first. Not sure about the rattly bottom end, but you may get it going well enough to sell it.

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did it run until it stopped on its own or did you manage to cut it off before it ran for too long?
Stopped on it's own I think:( everything happened quickly. But I did manage to start it after it cooled down about 5 hours but don't sound good. Waiting for on would recovery to a garage within 10miles as can't get it to daz unless I pay more money. Lost 7 service call today also so need to get me wheels back:( ba humbug:(

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dont be disheartened dude, fingers crossed its just the turbo. I expect the turbo bearings have gone, thats then done your seals and then p!ssed oil into the inlet and exhaust, hence it feeding itself and running on. You might find the noise is actually there the turbo impellers are chattering.

Even when you throw a new turbo at it expect it to smoke for a while until all the oil is burnt out of the exhaust.

I had a nissan primstar come in doing the same, it actually snapped the shaft. After replacing the turbo I had to remove and clean intercooler, egr, and left exhaust hanging (drip dry) but did have to replace cat too to stop it smoking!

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Van still not fixed and now lowered myself to a vauxhall Renault thing:( still it works at the moment:)

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
sorry to hear that mate, i know how you feel. my driveshaft went friday night and smacked a hole in the sump:( oil slick under the van and no drive.

new bits are on the way, at least i have a saxo to get around inI:

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry to hear that mate, i know how you feel. my driveshaft went friday night and smacked a hole in the sump:( oil slick under the van and no drive.

new bits are on the way, at least i have a saxo to get around inI:
think I would prefer the saxo the vaux is a piece of s!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
could the bottom end just need new shells? they die pretty quick when starved of oil. best bet would be to have a look if the noise persists after looking at the turbo. ive just watched the techs here change the shells on an engine and the blighters where bright blue through oil starvation!

·
Super Moderator
9,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got another thread with some pic's but pulling the sump today to check oil pickup and state of main bearings. More bits to come off but its inside out the snow but just as cold as outside:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.