VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Ok so i thought it might be about time i started my build thread. Its been ages since i got the van, but work commitments offshore haven't allowed me to do very much so far. More effort required on my part i guess. So, she's a white T5.1 started life as a panel van. The 88bhp flavour one.

When i bought her the back was lined for me by the trader and the side windows fitted. Along with the bumpers, spoiler roof bars and head unit. I basically had what you see built to my preferred spec.

Loved driving it straight away. Just like a car... but slow. Queue John at Bluejuice conversions who is an agent of pendle performance. Few hundred pounds later and we are 155bhp... worth every penny in my opinion.

The end goal for this thread is a camper conversion. But i'll just get it all done when i can manage with my work commitments. Today we treated ourselves to some Dubflactas, a gas bonnet strut and some new shoes. Which... are a TIGHT fit. But i wanted the big A/T tyres for practicality. I intent to use her for surfing snowboarding and festivals.. couldn't help but think they would be better as the low profiles fitted by the trader.

Hope you like her. (i know i know, she's white. But i like white and always have)

More photos to follow tomorrow as she's being treated to a little more work before i go away again.

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All that effort and it's the key which gains recognition.... Oh man. :* ha ha.

I got it off fleabay ages ago. Saw it and it matches the colour
Scheme I'm going to go for. Job done.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha ha, nah it's ok. Only jesting. I would like to, but the wheels and tyres combo that's on right now doesn't leave much wiggle room... Really super tight. But mainly at the front and back of the arch, so I might actually be able to lower it slightly. The new tyres are only 2 days old, so once it's all settled I'll be able to see better.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: My white T5.1 long termer... Billabong stickers

Ok,

So while stickers might not be for everyone. They are for me. I had a set made up by "Durbzalot" and they look great in my opinion. Had them fitted by some professional graphic guys (i for sure would have put them on squint) and then lacquered over the top of to give them shiny finished look, by my local spray shop and VW experts Touch Ups.

All comments welcome positive or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mate. T:T: Thats the colour of voice for the whole build. Mainly white and black with touches of monster/lime green throughout. Considering speaking to my local powder coaters to see if they could do something a bit funky with the side bars. Maybe a green underside and black top. Not sure if thats possible.

Next up front seats. I have 2 Alfa seats ready to be reupholstered. Just have to pro quire myself a passenger base and swivel and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Re: My white T5.1 long termer... Billabong stickers

Loved driving it straight away. Just like a car... but slow. Queue John at Bluejuice conversions who is an agent of pendle performance. Few hundred pounds later and we are 155bhp...

Hope you like her. (i know i know, she's white. But i like white and always have)
155bhp - must be like driving a monster :eek:

p.s. white is very 'de riguer' ;) I:

So while stickers might not be for everyone. They are for me.

All comments welcome positive or otherwise.
At this moment in time I prefer the van 'pre-sticker' [but I am old :(]. I look forward to seeing the 'theme' completed :)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ola amigos..

Had this for 4 years now. So it really IS "project go slow". But update the thread and maybe it will encourage me to do it a bit faster when the nice weather comes around.

Done some stuff over time. But have been terrible at updating. So a summary maybe...

She now has an interior, a R&R bed, split charge and leisure battery, smev double hob and sink, new front seats with passenger swivel. And a waeco CRX50 which is still to be fitted.

IMG_3719.JPG.5d4821914d7c03439311e7c97da4bd23 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_8849.JPG.f552a1a0a03a76356a490fc5fe816317 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_8862.JPG.c7be648ad88fbd93952540fb5517548e by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_8888.JPG.5b22b29ba996bf29aae846ce39b11664 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_8895.JPG.3da40a6f3097844615f3ac9ac93994cb by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_9773.JPG.54874456a946e8c842cf68ac5f2321a3 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

More effort on updates going forward. Promise!

now, feel free to tear the cabinet design and colour scheme to bits... its not for everyone but it makes us laugh. LOL:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty much yes... i hired a graffiti artist and told him all the things that were in my brain, then gave him carte blanche to do what he wanted. That was the end result. LOL:LOL:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can confirm it has been a safe haven at many a festival. Safer that a mothers womb. :D

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today was dry and not cold. (Not warm... but not cold), so i thought it about time to have a crack at fitting the fridge. From a bit of online research i found that to fit my CRX50 the panel at the back of the cabinet would need cut out.

Original door off.

IMG_3760 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Some huffing, puffing, measuring and cutting later.

IMG_3771 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

That was significantly easier than expected. Plans now are to get the graffiti artist back to spray the skull from the door over the top of the fridge.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks really good!
Thank you. Its not quite as clear cut and polished as most of the other vans on here. But its indicative of our own personalities which is what i was going for. Still a long way to go with it but as I'm sure you well know its so financially draining.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another small project is the door hinges... something that i regret a little is going for the MDF cabinets. They are ok, and do the job. But MDF being what it is isn't the strongest. So the hinges, the designs placement of them made for a weak point that i don't think will last. Came up with a way to beef up the hinge points so will see how that goes.

Bought some 170 degree hinges for kitchen cabinets and devised a way to fit them..

IMG_3792 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_3793 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_3800 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_3801 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_3813 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

IMG_3814 by jamie simpson, on Flickr

Now just have to follow the same plan for the two remaining cabinet doors. I might only part cover the back of those doors with ply in order to same weight though. Lessons learnt and all that.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts