VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

Registered
Looking good mate nice and neat .
Are you planning to torch the wood with it all installed in the van ?
Love the idea of the ply finish tops 馃憤 our table has a painted top but is sanded smooth ply edges just coated with yacht varnish ..

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks.

Nah it鈥檚 all just built in the van for shape at the mo. Can all lift out (reasonably easily) if I decide to go that route. Was also considering messing about with coffee then varnish over it. Yacht varnish also. That鈥檚 my go to varnish.

Yeah I was originally wondering about a nice live edge wood slab for the worktops. But you just can鈥檛 get them wide enough to suit. Then wondered how some really thick ply would look. 18mm marine ply, doubled up. Cut to size, router the edges and then sand the life out of it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
And that鈥檚 that. All I can manage to get done before she goes to have the roof cut off tomorrow.

Still to complete on her return -

鈥 False bottoms in the cabinets to hide the cable runs.
鈥 Worktops
鈥 fit hob/sink
鈥 table arrangement
鈥 Shelve out cupboard
鈥 upholstery of some kind, still deciding on a direction for that
鈥 45 degree corner trims for the cabinets
鈥 treat/finish the cabinets
鈥 gas box plus drop out
鈥 waste water drop out to under van
鈥 fit supply water drum

Registered
Looks really good. I've approached my interior with the tongue and groove wood. Easy to work with and looks spot on.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Looks really good. I've approached my interior with the tongue and groove wood. Easy to work with and looks spot on.
Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Yeah it鈥檚 super easy to work with and the main win for me was that it鈥檚 so lightweight. Can cover a lot of area and add minimal weight to the van.

I nipped over for a look at your thread. Looks really good. What did you use to finish your wood? I鈥檓 torn on the direction I want to go.

Premium Member
At least I'm not the only one that has redesigned and rebuilt their interior 馃榿
Am liking the new build, looks much lighter in the back with the wood finish, the layered effect you get when working with ply is very cool, interested to see what way you go with the finishing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
At least I'm not the only one that has redesigned and rebuilt their interior
Am liking the new build, looks much lighter in the back with the wood finish, the layered effect you get when working with ply is very cool, interested to see what way you go with the finishing.
Ha ha. Yeah... it had to be done. I liked how it was. But I always felt I could do better. Make better use of the space and tailor it to our needs. And try something different to the standard r&r bed plus side cabinets.

I鈥檒l definitely keep the wood finish. And I鈥檝e got some laminated ply samples to play around with for the worktops. See what works. Just glued three together to make a nice thick one. See how that goes.

Premium Member
Ha ha. Yeah... it had to be done. I liked how it was. But I always felt I could do better. Make better use of the space and tailor it to our needs. And try something different to the standard r&r bed plus side cabinets.

I鈥檒l definitely keep the wood finish. And I鈥檝e got some laminated ply samples to play around with for the worktops. See what works. Just glued three together to make a nice thick one. See how that goes.
This was exactly my mind set, first built the "standard" set up, cupboards down the side with pull out bed, just didn't work for me so redesigned and built it...twice. Contemplating some reworks now after my first proper camping trip.

Laminated ply is great, gives a lovely edge detail without actually having to do anything.

Reactions: jamieprang

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Spent the day burning in the grain of the wood cladding and add the first coat of varnish. Nice hot day so good drying to be had.

Then I made up the plywood tops for the benches. Will have to organise some foam as we are going to have a crack at our own upholstery 鈥 brave or stupid?

Also made the first of the false bottoms for the storage spaces. I wanted to put these in to hide the wire runs and to protect the wires from stuff sitting on them when we鈥檙e all loaded up.

Premium Member
That new interior looks amazing!
Loved the first interior you had in the van!
Very creative with how you've got the finish on the wood, I dont think I would have braved to do it as I probably would have set it on fire!馃槀

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thanks chaps, appreciate the praise from others with pretty cool layouts themselves. I鈥檓 Pretty happy with how it鈥檚 come out so far.

I鈥檝e been burning wood finishes for a while now in other projects, so it came together quite fast. Blow torch out and rattled through it in about an hour. Once I get a couple of coats of varnish on it should look good, and hopefully be dog proof. Still have the edge trims to add, and a couple of cupboard doors. But it鈥檚 all time consuming as you well know. So fitting that in around work is the issue.

Should have had the roof done by now but the guy who is doing is is having supply issues for some stuff. So that鈥檚 delayed things a bit. Hopefully get that in and done soon.

Premium Member
That wood looks stunning, certainly makes the interior look warmer (potentially feels warmer too 馃敟) (y)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So I got the 2nd coat of varnish on and the van in her new capacity had her first small day out test this past weekend. We were away for the day to raise money for charity, The Beatson, which is pretty close to home for the family. A pile of them walked up and down Ben Lomand and I ran it.

Have to say I was really happy with the layout. Much better than the traditional layout before. All that鈥檚 missing is the pop top so I can stand up. And of course to finish the interior. But overall I was very happy with it.

Legs just about recovered now. Better think of getting some more done to the van. Which is provisionally booked for the roof on the 12th July.

Premium Member
All looking very smart mate, good to see the dogs are checking over your work (y)
Nice idea having the fridge on the end of the unit by the slider, means you can access it much easier.
Top work with the charity run too (y)

Reactions: jamieprang
41 - 60 of 78 Posts