VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of years now I have had a drain on my battery. I don't know where its coming from, as i can't find a drain anywhere, except for the 300milli amps of the stereo/clock which is OK.

Yesterday and today, not even the door pin would rise, unyet I've had no trouble for about three weeks! Then only 2-3 min of charging and its enough to crank the motor over wtihout any problems.

There is no rhyme or reason -I'm looking for inspiration.

I have to carry a genny and battery charger! (cool factor = nil!)

Any words of wisdom out there?

cheers

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
difficult one really you need to check them circuits again. Try disconnecting the + bat lead and connection the meter between the cable and the battery. Ignition off :ILU: Get that reading then go through the fuses. What is the resting V of your bat ? Charged then left for an hour or so before reading. What is the V at the bat when charging ?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Are you sure that the battery is flat?? I had something like this and it turned out to be the earth lead, it was broken at the battery tray, so occasionally touch enough to let light electric work, but as soon as you turn the key it would die. After replacing the cable I have not had any trouble since.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have a good look at all of my connections tomorrow, and I'll try the Battery drain thing.

THe alternator gives 14.6v across the battery terminals when unloaded, and 14.2v when loaded with stereo and the like.

The car can sit for a week and start,but not turn over after 10 hours?

Each time its been at the garage, they've failed to find anything wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had exactly the same problem and when I measured my stereo drain I also had about 300 milliamps. I actually thought this was rather a lot. I had my stereo wired to a permanent supply so I could listen in bed without the keys in the ignition. When I hooked my stereo up like one is supposed to the draw dropped to about 25ma and the problem went away. I have wired the stereo through a relay now so I can remove the keys with it on and it stays that way until I turn it off and it goes into its sleep mode. It is a very cheap and nasty stereo which I regret buying but I too thought 300ma was ok but if I didn't drive it every day I would end up with a dead battery. 300ma is nearly 1 amp every 3 hours isn't it? Could it be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts