VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an oil leak that i'm struggling to locate .
Its a fine spray thats hitting the fan and distributing it thinly across the engine bay .
T5.1 and can anyone tell me if i'm missing a bolt here at the top please or is it just an alignment peg ?
Thanks in advance.
Gas Personal protective equipment Tints and shades Auto part Metal

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep just a pin, odd to be spraying at the fans almost like a pressure side leak that should be obvious all the time.
Clean and degrease and check again

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
My intercooler had a crack and was spraying into the engine bay.
Which side of the fan has oil spray?

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the info ....the search continues it would seem .
Yes James exactly my next plan of action 👍
Doesnt leak from cold but will take it for a blast and get it up to temp and look again .

Strange you mention this Gregned as i found a random metal strap on top of the engine under tray which i thought may well be from the cooler ..:unsure:.
Oil is definitely engine side though and seems to be mainly around ( and on top of)
the oil filter housing.

I would expect the van to run differently if i have a hole in the cooler ? Maybe not if its only a tiny one ? .

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was a pin hole on my intercooler where the tubes were joined onto the end tank, drivers side, only could smell it when hot too and was spraying oil mist into the engine bay onto oil filter housing!
Mine is a 2.5 tho.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah that looks very much like the strap that holds the intercooler together, that would make sense as the oil in the intake system would spray onto the fans and all over the engine.
Take a peek through the bumper, normally the bottom of the intercooler splits open

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Now you've found one of the intercooler straps, it's almost 100% an intercooler failure. You can see it by crouching down and looking through the radiator grille, it should be dead straight and parallel, but when the straps fail, they go banana shaped, crack and leak.
A small leak will just be a little air and oil mist, but as the leak gets worse, you'll get black smoke from the exhaust, and an under boost fault code.

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bluezie , thats abit more like the symptoms i was expecting to see .
I'll check if the cooler has a 'smile' .
Then to decide how much money to blow on a replacement. :geek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now you've found one of the intercooler straps, it's almost 100% an intercooler failure. You can see it by crouching down and looking through the radiator grille, it should be dead straight and parallel, but when the straps fail, they go banana shaped, crack and leak.
A small leak will just be a little air and oil mist, but as the leak gets worse, you'll get black smoke from the exhaust, and an under boost fault code.
That was mine without any codes. Probably wasn't long before they would show but was also getting a fine coat. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Mark0 , its not quite that bad but i reckon this might well be my problem.
Now i did the peek through the bumper technique as suggested and it looks a little misshapen. ..not easy to see on this pic but where the strap has gone from the middle on the other side of the cooler it looks abit blown .
Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Hood

This bulge just happens to coincide with the oily wet patch on the other side of the rad .
Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive lighting Tread

I'm starting to think now that just maybe the motorway run i did when this all started may have pushed the oil all the way through the condenser and rad before hitting the fan and painting the engine bay ? ...is that possible?
Looking at the front of the rad it does look possibly oily now but didnt see it before.
Grille Rectangle Automotive exterior Water Font

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well Mark0 , its not quite that bad but i reckon this might well be my problem.
Now i did the peek through the bumper technique as suggested and it looks a little misshapen. ..not easy to see on this pic but where the strap has gone from the middle on the other side of the cooler it looks abit blown .
View attachment 197450

This bulge just happens to coincide with the oily wet patch on the other side of the rad .
View attachment 197451

I'm starting to think now that just maybe the motorway run i did when this all started may have pushed the oil all the way through the condenser and rad before hitting the fan and painting the engine bay ? ...is that possible?
Looking at the front of the rad it does look possibly oily now but didnt see it before.
View attachment 197453
Possibly I guess all the air that is forced through would likely push oil through the fins aswell and the oily patch does seem to coincide with your findings.

I can highly recommend darkside if you fancied the trip. Or potentially replace yourself if purchased via the net. ( not sure of cost variation between forge)

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes will be fitting it myself.
Forge £500- £550
Darkside £330 + delivery
Do you have a ds cooler then ?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You have to chop bumper out to fit a darrkside as i understand it
And it does look like a cheap intercooler adapted to fit if you get what i mean
Forge unit on my van for 5years + now its a quality bit of kit fit and forget with no modifications 👍

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes will be fitting it myself.
Forge £500- £550
Darkside £330 + delivery
Do you have a ds cooler then ?
Yes had it fitted with some extras a week or so ago. If I'm honest I didn't really see anything before it went on. They have talked through bits on some of their YT vids of pros and cons vs forge but wouldnt anyone say theirs is better.

Looks good behind the grill though and the van drives alot better but that will be a combination of everything I had done so couldn't give you a direct comparison sorry.

But with the following they have ( transporter hqs pick up was still being worked on when I was there) they must be doing something right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have to chop bumper out to fit a darrkside as i understand it
And it does look like a cheap intercooler adapted to fit if you get what i mean
Forge unit on my van for 5years + now its a quality bit of kit fit and forget with no modifications 👍
Can't comment on the adaptations as they fitted it. So not 100% on that one. Not sure they would do cheap stuff though as it wouldn't do them any favours in the long run with customers. Any bolts and servicing kit they used came from TPS ( I saw the van) so it doesn't feel like they cut corners etc.

I've had forge break on me before ( different car different time) guess any brand could come unstuck with some manufacturing defects. ( makes me wonder how my vag intercooler gained a joker grin but my old 94 gt3000 tt was running on stock intercoolers at over 24yrs old and higher boost)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I think on the OEM, it's the salt that's used in the winter that rots the intercooler bracing straps.
I imagine this is a very British problem, as I doubt this happens in hot countries, or colder countries where salt isn't used.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts