VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello , help would be much appreciated , just been told my gearbox for my 2000 T4 2.5tdi is buggered ! SAD FACE ,been enquiring the usual T4 breakers and sights ,but no luck. There's a few on eBay but look really expensive ,If there's anyone who could advise or had similar problem sorted ,it would be much appreciated cheers guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Steve , its 88hp I think with the blue i , also there's a few gearboxes around cheapest one I've seen is about £699 i wouldn't really know how much but seems steep ? thanks for your reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok........do you know the 3 letter code stamped on the casing........DUJ or EWB for example?
Sorry to butt in, I also need a gearbox I have been told the code for mine is 'STV' its on a 88hptipper truck but I think the box is a 102 because reverse position is right & back!

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
OP your box is an EWB ~ they are the most difficult part to find for a T4 ~ it can be rebuilt, even if it's got a hole in the casing (common) ; budget for around £500 + fitting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hello sorry for taking time get ck guys (been away) I think the code is ADB on the casing if that makes sense ??
The problem is I was driving in 5th gear as you do , then big clunk and a lot of rattling , pulled over , there was lots of metal churning around box noise , if that makes sense ? could and can still drive it in 1st ,2nd ,3rd, 4th, and reverse with no problem , took it to a gearbox garage recommended to me and they said the casing had a small hole in it, lost its oil and it was totally knackered ,And needs a new one ! I don't know much about gearboxes but how can it still drive ok without 5th gear and not be able to be fixed ? im sure you guys know a lot more than me , cheers for you input guys, its much appreciated .

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If it has a hole in it then there will be quite a bit of oil around it.
If it hasn't then you may well be able to replace Fifth gear. You don't have to remove the box to do it.
Have a search for Fifth gear mod. Plenty of info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the heads up , apparently it has been damaged when it went pop , but I've read holes can be repaired ? do you know of any local garages who could do this repair ? no chance of me attempting that lol , i'm not very mechanical ,cheers for your help T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts