VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

my 1.9 TDI has just hit 220.000km (that's 136.702 miles) and I want to lower my van by about 40 to 60mm. Now there are certain factors that need to be taken care of.

1) I can't have a harsh ride, due to my little daughter will be in the van with me and the roads up north are generally already pretty bad. So a smooth/soft ride feeling would be good.

2) 1 to 2 times a year I tow some stuff around, nothing major just wanted to mention it.

3) The Van in generally only loaded with the back bench and max some camping gear which weights less then 100 kilos, but sometimes friends borrow my van to move houses etc (You know it 'The guy with the van') :D

So I thought of some soft-medium springs and some good dampers (bilstein?) in combination with a Rear Air Lift suspension for when I tow or load the van up. Does that sound alright?

Currently I am still using OEM steelies and tires, but will change those over fairly soon for 17" or 18".

So what I am wondering is:

What kind of springs should I use?
Is a rear lift suspension enough for for the occasional towing and loading?

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
imo Eibachs will do everything you need, take out the rubber plates for an additional drop. With rubber plates it's around 45mm and without around 55mm.

1) I can't have a harsh ride, due to my little daughter will be in the van with me and the roads up north are generally already pretty bad. So a smooth/soft ride feeling would be good.
Eibachs are progressive meaning they have a thin part of the spring for when your unloaded so you get a comfortable ride

2) 1 to 2 times a year I tow some stuff around, nothing major just wanted to mention it.
I carry around 750kg in the rear with no problems, theres a seller on here (Bluebird?) who tows his chopped T4 trailer with Eibachs fitted

3) The Van in generally only loaded with the back bench and max some camping gear which weights less then 100 kilos, but sometimes friends borrow my van to move houses etc (You know it 'The guy with the van')
As per number 1, I have tried the cheaper (supposed to be) HD springs and wasted money. Get the Eibachs!

I wouldn't bother with air bags unless you seriously load your van way to the brim with very heavy gear. I use my LWB van to transport PA and lighting equipment in big heavy flightcases. Look at my link in my sig below.

I run 18s with a profile of 45 tyres.
If you want to avoid big bumps in the road I would advise 16" or 17" with a nice sidewall

18s is quite harsh but bearable but I don't carry my kids around in it! If I did I would go for a smaller wheel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate! That's exactly what I was looking for! T:

I have been in contact with a couple of people in Germany/France who also have a 50/60mm drop and quite a few of them had problems with their Bilstein B6 dampers after about 20.000km. Is there an alternative to it? Red Konis?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would also recommend eibach's, running them on my van with 18's very nice ride and will take a lot of weight.
When i load up for camping trips with 2 adults, 2 kids and camping gear from floor to ceiling to look at you can hardly see any differemce in ride height.
Would not recommend fitting them without the rubber plates though as the 2 metal surfaces rubbing would only encourage rust after a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your input. I have ordered some springs together with 10mm lowering plates from t4srus. I might have to have a look into these rubber plates as I haven't heard of these yet (first time a lower a car I:))

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks guys for your input. I have ordered some springs together with 10mm lowering plates from t4srus. I might have to have a look into these rubber plates as I haven't heard of these yet (first time a lower a car I:))
If you order eibach's the rubber plates will come with them. T:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I guess you never stop learning! Maybe they pack some of these rubber discs with their springs...I:

Otherwise..are they a universal fit or do I have to get special ones too match my springs?

That's seriously annoying me now as I won't see the springs for a good while till they make it over to Australia :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey guys looking at the good advice given here i thought i'd ask for a little advice too, mines a 1993 2.4d trident high top, i'm running 18's with a 45 profile. I want it dropped a fair bit but not so much that when i go round a corner there is no lean then all of a sudden it tips over ;)
I'm after springs & shocks but due to it being fully loaded all the time i presume they'll have to be heavy duty? can i get adjustable shocks to play with the height?
Any links that you could provide would be great, thanks guys. :ILU:
Heres my bus, Willo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys. I completely forgot about this thread!

If you order eibach's the rubber plates will come with them. T:
Any chance how these rubber plates are called? I think I might need some :D

Do they actually deliver to Australia, they won't deliver to Cyprus!!:confused:
I used a company called forward2me.co.uk. They forward everything to nearly anywhere in the world for a bit of extra $$$. They respond seriously quick to emails and seem to know what they are doing. Only downside is a 2GBP sign up fee :(

i can ship to diferent countries..
Do you do those rubbers Cruz was talking about to go under the springs?

I'm after springs & shocks but due to it being fully loaded all the time i presume they'll have to be heavy duty?
Looks like it mate. I wouldn't go anything else then heavy duty with your setup.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hey guys looking at the good advice given here i thought i'd ask for a little advice too, mines a 1993 2.4d trident high top, i'm running 18's with a 45 profile. I want it dropped a fair bit but not so much that when i go round a corner there is no lean then all of a sudden it tips over ;)
I'm after springs & shocks but due to it being fully loaded all the time i presume they'll have to be heavy duty? can i get adjustable shocks to play with the height?
Any links that you could provide would be great, thanks guys. :ILU:
Heres my bus, Willo

Shocks don't play a part in the adjustment of the height , they dampen the spring effect and roll, heavy duty springs like

Eibachs and GAZ adjustable shock are the way forward for this application

·
Registered
441 Posts
were coming to cyprus flying out tomorrow . any recomendations on what to do over there ? were going to limisol .
sorry to hijack post
Lots to do, still warm out here in the daytime today 22C, but cools down at night to about 12C, so bring a jumper.

From Limasol being in the middle of the coast on the Island, you can go all ways, you definately need a hire car, there are some superb beaches near Limassol, the best one for me is Curium Beach, which is west of Limassol, or if you don't like beaches go inland up the Troodos Mountain for the day, stop at Platres for lunch on the way up or down, as at top its too touresty.

I also recommend going East towards Agia Napa, there are also some good beaches at that end of the Island, of course the best place to visit is Paphos, only as I live there.A:

Have a good time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello all.

I just wanted to add to this thread with a question or two....

I have standard suspension on my 97 T4 800 special....

I wanted to upgrade the suspension for a better ride....

we have converted the van to an 8 seat family van ...transit seats in the second and third row...will probably have standard bench and drivers seat recovered at some point ...

We just did a drive to Gatwick fully loaded with me ..the missus...my boys ..a 19 year old...16 ...14 ..12 ..5 ...and our little girl who's 1 ....and five suit cases...
the ride was HARD and the bumps were vicious....I was avoiding every little bloody thing in the road...

I want to upgrade for general rides out but also for the occasional times we go as a family....

We have new 17's on the van ...and I think 40's ....

Could you please advise me on which suspension set up would be the best for us....I know nothing about it other than Id like it low ish...as low as possible anyway..

comfortable and to improve the handling....not asking too much is it ? :)

Thank you

Daniel

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,901 Posts
Lowered and ride comfort go opposite.
15" wheels with 70 profile tyres will make it far better for comfort.

8 seats in an 800 van?!!??!
That's sort of the max for a Caravelle.....which uses similar to the 1200 suspension!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thank you for the reply...Im sorry but I dont get what you mean by 1200 suspension ?
but Im defo not fitting 15 inch wheels on my van though lol...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts