VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Well, you're suspension is rated for a 800kg load MAX.
You really need 1200kg springs fitted.
IF you lower it, ride will be even worse, and you'll need to get the brake balancing valve set up correctly.

I run 17" summer wheels, but with 45 profile tyres. (245/45-17)
NOT too uncomfortable, but certainly it's a better ride when I fit my 15" winter wheels with 70 profile tyres.
With 40mm lowered springs and shocks, and a rear anti-roll bar, it handles better with the wide 17"s, but I wouldn't like to have more than 3 people in it!

You also need to make sure both the wheels and tyres have the correct rating.....I'd guess at minimum 97LI for the tyres with 8 seats.
If not, the sidewalls will be collapsing over bumps, and meeting the rims!
My 1200 van requires 99LI rated tyres.

The 800 vans were the "lightweight" versions.....NOT designed for 8 seats.

There was a reason VW only fitted 15 or 16" wheels.....comfort and handling.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok thank you very much...

Can I then make the van safe by fitting the correct suspension ...like the 1200 which I think is 1510 on the front and 1490 on the rear ?

The wheels were definitely van rated ...he was pretty clued up...checked the stats for me etc....but I WILL double check obviously....

The tyres were a quick buy from a friend for a single journey ...gatwick...so Im happy to change them anyway....

I guess Im just asking if I CAN make the van safe ?

To be fair we never have all of us in the van at once apart from very rare situations....although I do understand it only takes one journey for something bad to happen ....

Thanks again mate....to many numbers ..its so confusing for my brain :)

·
Somebody stop me!
11,905 Posts
Vogtland springs, genuine rear anti roll bar from VW and stock shocks, job done! Ride is exceptional with a nice ride height and superb handling. I ran this setup with GAZ shocks and the ride was horrible and with the rear anti roll bar fitted there is no need for uprated shocks. I have had several setups on my T4 in the last 13 years of ownership and this one is by far the best.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Vogtland springs, genuine rear anti roll bar from VW and stock shocks, job done! Ride is exceptional with a nice ride height and superb handling. I ran this setup with GAZ shocks and the ride was horrible and with the rear anti roll bar fitted there is no need for uprated shocks. I have had several setups on my T4 in the last 13 years of ownership and this one is by far the best.
Hello ....Is this in reply to MY question or just stating what you have on your van ?
Im not too worried about lowering the van as it looks pretty good as is....
I just need to know its safe for my kids ...
Thank you
Daniel

·
Registered
401 Posts
And where can I actually buy a rear anti roll bar....and what one should I be buying please ?
Thanks again

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thank you ...they are out of stock at the moment though ...I will grab a kit when they come back in stock.
Thanks again

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Mine was fitted by them one time I visited UK.
Together with 40mm lowering kit. (4 new shocks, 2 new springs).
Different drive on the 2000 miles home!

Unfortunately, Simon's "sidekick" seems have taken over the roost, and now they do more online sales than mechanical work. :(

I assume someday he's hoping to change his name from Baxter to Bezos LOL:

ONE thing I was told (by Simon), was that to CORRECTLY fit the rear ARB, the existing holes in the frame should be "countersunk" a little to allow the RivNuts to sit flush with the frame....otherwise, you only have points of contact on the "nuts", not to the actual metalwork. (He could have just bolted it on...but he IS a "perfectionist" T: )

EDIT:
The "Kit" does not show "Out of Stock".....and you need the other parts to fit it anyway.....
Not cheap, but worth the money.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts