VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Need some advice/links etc on Headlight Bulbs for my 1998 T4 2.4D, as the dark nights are drawing in I drove home on a quite Rural unlit bendy road in the rain and my lights were awfull, I could hardly see on dip and there not much better on Main Beam.
They are probably the original bulbs as my Dad had the van for 11 years before me and he has never changed them. I see all the new type bulbs on ebay etc and i'm not sure what to choose, they need to be ok for M.O.T, ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT
T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've just fitted an upgrade loom from T4RUS with some Nightbreaker bulbs. Massive difference, but as I added in a previous thread, watch out for the increase in heat given out, especially with non-standard light units (plastic) T:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Don't buy the cheap unbranded eBay bulbs they're rubbish, get one of the wiring upgrade kits I've got the extreme van kit with the night breaker bulbs and it's a massive improvement but the bulbs don't tend to last that long, mine went after about 18 months. They are completely legal as well unlike the hid kits which will fall foul ot the mot regs.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Get upgraded loom from Upspex or T4Rus or t4-transporter-spares.co.uk or someone on here. Quality kit and a great mod.
Osram or Phillips bulbs. Your choice.

I think with HID bulbs fitted at MoT test time motorised levelling units are mandatory.

As far as I'm aware headlight washers are obligatory as well in N. Ireland, (or else it's the other way round).

Anyway don't faff about with HID, get an upgrade loom and bulbs to suit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the options with just bulbs, the wiring upgrade seems to be a bit extreme for me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The main reason why the lights are so poor in the first place is down to volt drop caused by the original wiring so if you just fitted uprated bulbs then you wouldn't get the full benefit as they will still only be getting a round 10 volts.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are these legal? Know a few people pulled over 4 HIDs

Stu
Technically no as you should have headlamp washers and auto levelling. Really you should only use them if you have projector to focus the beam and clear lenses. You would be the most selfish person on the road if you installed HIDS into the old glass lights as the beam will be scattered all over the place (A few chavs around here have them installed into their lights and I'm blinded when the are behind or coming towards you)

Btw if you fancy an easy challenge its not rocket science to make an uprated loom as all your need is some old electrical cable (something that ran a 13amp fuse) a few connectors, a pair of £6 relays and a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Plus's that are £13 on Amazon T:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just thought that as electrical gadgetry has come on in leaps and bounds there would have been a low wattage/voltage bulb that was brighter than the thirteen year old bulbs I have now without changing wiring looms.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just thought that as electrical gadgetry has come on in leaps and bounds there would have been a low wattage/voltage bulb that was brighter than the thirteen year old bulbs I have now without changing wiring looms.
Personally I have never come across this issue on any other vehicle so it would be a limited market (and hence not worth the R&D for just T4/5 Vans)

I read somewhere that the T5 suffered the same problems but it shouldn't because the canbus system usually regulates the voltage :*

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Evening mate. I can tell you're shying away from messing with the loom but honestly, its a tried and tested plug and play modification. The only reason i haven't done it myself is cos i like how the dull yellow lights look on my van and i have two huge spots on the bull bar for dark lanes. Any of the suppliers will be happy to talk you through it if you still aren't sure after reading the instruction. The price is about £30 - £60 quid depending on your choice of bulbs and everyone i know that has fitted the loom is impressed.

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are these legal? Know a few people pulled over 4 HIDs

Stu

Had them in since 2006 many MOT's later not a problem.

Cost me 70quid from EBAY and still the same same bulbs never problem.

You only need to get the pure white ones; anything with a hint of blue and you will fail your MOT.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Technically no as you should have headlamp washers and auto levelling. Really you should only use them if you have projector to focus the beam and clear lenses. You would be the most selfish person on the road if you installed HIDS into the old glass lights as the beam will be scattered all over the place (A few chavs around here have them installed into their lights and I'm blinded when the are behind or coming towards you)

Btw if you fancy an easy challenge its not rocket science to make an uprated loom as all your need is some old electrical cable (something that ran a 13amp fuse) a few connectors, a pair of £6 relays and a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Plus's that are £13 on Amazon T:
Any guides on how to make them yourself? not 1 to shy away to save myself some pennies.

thanks Stu

1 - 20 of 26 Posts