VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just needing some input regarding my 94 lwb syncro it is currently getting a restore and has been in the garage for around nine months my bloke that's doing the job has been hinting since I gave him it that my 2.4d should be replaced it's done around 145000 so I felt it should still have had some life in it, but he has told me it has problems and I should replace it, what I need to know is the best option to consider as I dont have a clue, would I be better staying with diesel(and which would be the best option)or because of government war on diesel engines in towns and citys should I consider a petrol, any advice would be greatly appreciated. would like it to have a bit more power if possible. thanks Leon

·
Registered
230 Posts
in my view , that mileage on a 2.4 is considered "low" , is the mechanic stating any real problems or just a concern over mileage? only change i would of done if there were real problems is possibly a change to 1.9 td motor from a golf (was considering this on a friends van so got the bits ready) my 2.4 , when timed up correctly gave more than enough power for what i needed at the time

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply mike, I thought it was low mileage on my engine as well, he says there's a lack of compression other issues, thinks it's not been serviced properly over the years, ive been surprised by the lack of replys to my post to give me some advice on my dilemma , I've posted two posts, this one and one in the syncro garage page and only had one reply to each, looks like ill need to bite the bullet and fork out, just wanted to know which is the best option of engine to get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To measure the compression in the cylinders, the nozzles or glow plugs would have to be removed to make measuremens. I highly doubt it that has been done, it's more work than with a petrol engine where you can just take out the spark plugs. If you didn't have any issues beforehand, i'd say finisch the restore & drive it. An engine swap can always be done later on.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i agree with pewee, to take all glow plugs out to do the compression test would take a lot of time and faffing about , ask the mechanic for the compression readings , there can be a fair range of differences between cylinders which do not always mean the engine needs replaced

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Also, if it's not been used for 9 months..chances are the rings are stuck and it's need a good run before doing any tests!
300,000k is about the time to "think" about doing any work on that engine!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
145,000 miles, if its been service correctly its just getting going, my Tdi ACV which is basically the same will be 200,000 soon (320,000km) I have no intension of doing anything to it apart from servicing and belts etc, maybe I will drop the sump at 400,000 maybe... so far not using oil none! no smoke, original injectors, only pain in the ass is the clutch life i.e. short life

1 - 7 of 7 Posts