VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’ll try to be as brief as possible:
I bought my MH (1995 2.4 diesel automatic VW T4 Holdsworth Valentine) in March this year from a dealer (not local to me – approx 150 miles away) and I have had a few problems with it since purchase. It was supposed to have had a full habitation check and service prior to purchase – which included a 12 month insurance backed ‘warranty’. I had about £2,500 worth of extras fitted prior to buying it (solar panel, alarm and immobiliser, reversing camera). I paid for everything on my credit card. Problems as follows:
• Water ingress into main habitation area – turned out to be blocked waste outlet and consequent build up of water. Had full habitation check by a local dealer, problem identified and fixed, reimbursed by vendor.
• Significant loss of engine power uphill – had vehicle serviced by local dealer who said filters etc. needed changing which suggested that the vendor hadn’t serviced it prior to me buying it. Problem improved although to some extent the lack of power is apparently due to the van not being a turbo diesel.
• Main battery not charging – called out RAC and needed a new battery.
• Wind out awning fitted incorrectly i.e. tension brackets in wrong place (at extreme right and left of ‘rail’) which means that the extending ‘support arms’ don’t do their job properly and I can’t attach the supports for the zip-on safari room. Last week was the first time I wanted to use the safari room so I have only just discovered this problem. I haven’t had it looked at yet but I assume the ‘tension brackets’ will have to be moved which will leave holes in the body with potential water ingress problems.
• Finally, I don’t think my ‘warranty’ is valid. Reading the small print, the dealer should have guaranteed the vehicle was sound prior to sale and should have stamped the service log. I looked at the log but there is no stamp by the dealer.
I am very worried that if anything else should go wrong the warranty won’t be worth the paper it’s written on and I still have to resolve the problem with the awning.
I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer. Are the above problems serious enough to justify me going back to the dealer and asking for a full refund and then going elsewhere for a MH? Thanks for reading this and for any help you can give.
Thanks,
GrandmaLiz

·
Registered
50 Posts
my advice would be - be aware that they will most probably be very defensive now they've got your money and won't want to lose any profit they've made by rectifying any errors, so maybe get to know your legal position 1st before giving them a chance to get out of their responsibilities. It may be that the onus is on them for not stamping your warranty yet charging you for it?
my 2nd advice is - if all else fails, find the positives to your new MH, it may not climb cos no turbo and is an automatic, but remind yourself you can take your time up hills cos there's no rush and when stuck in traffic you dont have to kill yr clutch foot going in and out of gear every 2 secs!!
Also, if you end up with holes if you have to correct the awning you could put something else in them? hooks for hanging backets when camping?
good luck

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is pretty straightforward from a consumer perspective.

Firstly, any credit card transactions are protected. You can either have the dealer refund you or if they wont play ball contact the card company and have the money refunded. Legally they have to as they also underwrtie your transaction. It is effectively a credit transaction which has not been completed.

Secondly, put your concerns in writing and take a copy to the dealer. Keep a spare copy for trading standards and if the dealer wont play ball tell them there and then that you are going to give it to them. They will then do the rest - they are pretty hot on motor traders.

Thirdly with regard the warranty, if it isn't worth the paper it is written on it is "unfit for purpose" and therefore you are due an immediate and full refund.

I am assuming you paid a lot for this. Spend 150 and get a full independant AA or RAC inspection together with recommendations. If it is bad, and as you suspect, take it to the dealer along with the van and request a full and immediate refund. If you paid for it on credit then the credit company will refund you in full.

Stick to the facts and you will be fine. A reasonable "first stab" would be get the inspection, write to the dealer enclosing a copy and give them 7 days to rectify all faults to your satisfaction. State failure to do this will result in you rejecting the goods as unfit for purpose and requiring a full refund. Dealers know people who do this tend to know the law and be a total pain in the **** so will generally do the right thing sooner rather than later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts