VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,
If you'd have asked yesterday I could have done a video of the procedure.... I done my belts today.
You have to time them separatley. When doing both belts you start with aligning all your timing marks, on the flywheel, the pump and you may have one on the bottom of the crank pulley to, the two front camshaft lobes should be pointing equally outwards and upwards. loosen the crank bolt, remove the rear cam sprocket that drives the pump and remove the pump belt. Time the engine up, then time the pump. The wind it backwards you're talking about is on the pump not the engine (clockwise looking through the service hatch), it's just to make sure it's at tdc (when the dial gauges bottoms out) then you zero the gauge, loosen the locking bolt, remove the keeper plate, then wind it forwards (anti clockwise) to it's .55mm, then tighten the bolt to 30nm to lock the pump while it's at .55mm. then fit the pump belt, tensioner and pulleys, then release the locking bolt, reinsert the keeper plate and tighten the bolt to 10nm and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd personally redo the timing. To me it would be like a hand grenade with a loose pin....
If you do the timing again give the crank a few good turns and then check the tensioner again before proceeding.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts