VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we bought our T4 swb August bank holiday. It has been lined out but not in a style we like so it is all getting wripped out. We had our first trip out at busfest, after 2 uncomfortable nights on a airbed it was time for a change. We purchased some goodies at the show, including 2 swivvel seat bases. Last week we collected a pop top roof, convinced that this was the right thing to do we have set about fitting it. What a nightmare! things are progressing extremely slowly due to complication after complication.
Does anyone know what we do about the channels in the original roof. the roof sits outside of the channels along the side, so where it sits across the front the new roof goes across the top of the channels, meaning there is a gap!!!!!! the instructions arent helpful.should these be packed out? any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
This is how my roof sits over the channels if it helps..the canvas is attached inside the channels so they don't interfere, and it would be good to know if you are fitting some sort of strengthening to the roof..

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
Not sure what the manufacturer suggests but I'd fill with Sikaflex. Smooth over with a wet finger before it sets. You could also fill the channels slightly further forward from the fibreglass roof. I'd fit a spoiler too so it breaks the airflow over the pop up. T:

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
My pop top sits slightly further over the channel than yours but not much, it looks ok to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips. Karl, top mechanic, has welded and filled front channels. Hopefully you will see a photo below. The saga is continuing, it doesn't sit well on the back. It has been suggested that we trim the roof to get it to sit lower, not at all keen on doing this. Has anyone done this before.
We have it booked in with tidy transporters on Monday for new windows, thought we should get the professionals to help out.

I have set up an album but I am having trouble inserting the pictures in to my text

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Why would you want to fill in the rain channels:*...they are there to take water away, and I can't see the point as it shouldn't affect the sealing of the roof as the Canvas should sit inside the channels..:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts