VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Right I am at the point in my conversion where I am looking at the R&R bed situation, prior to laying the floor I am considering how it is going to be connected to the floor.

Let me start by telling you that it is a T5 LWB.

I want the bed to double up as safe seats with seat belts.

Slightly unconventional fitting position as you can see from this drawing. (not to scale...never was any good at art!)

Today I spoke with Cannon Forge who have stated it wont be able to be mounted in this position. I was looking at using the middle tie down points as the location to secure the bed. Apparently one of the problems is the tank being directly underneath the passenger side tie down point.

How many bolts does a R&R need to be secured with?

The tie down holes appear to be threaded, if they are safe enough to tie down loads, would it not be safe to use these as suitable securing points?

Any advice gratefully received as I am a complete novice, if anyone has got any photos of a bed further forward in their van and how it has been secured I would love to see it. Apparently 2 foot is about the maximum distance the bed can come forward.

TIA

Steve.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The prob you have is the extra part to make a van a LWB is added to the middle of the van so the bed will still be mounted at the rear so you get extra space in front of the bed and not the rear as you would like. Cannons Forge do a rail system so you could slide the bed forward if needed. Call dave and ask him if it would work for you.

To answer one of the above questions is it takes four bolts to secure the bed down. The C/F beds have special brackets to spread to load to the tie downs from the bed frame its self.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

I did speak with Dave today and that's what he said. The rail system would work out at an extra £900!!

So Im having a rethink at the moment on what options i have. Could the bed frame be adapted to reach the two tie down points in the rear by way of legs so to speak going through my rear dog area?

It can't be that difficult surely??

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Just bear in mind that the load lashing points are rated to 500kg each. A 2 belt seat in a 'pull test' at 6000kg will possibly produce in excess of 6000kg upward pressure on the rear mounts and a downward pressure on the front legs. If you extend the mounting point rearward from the frame then the leverage forces will be much different.
It is much better to bolt the frame down directly to the floor / chassis so as to minimise any leverage effects.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right.

Complete change of layout now.... all plans scrapped and re drawn.

Situ now is bed at the back. Dog area scrapped too difficult box!

Cupboards running the length of the van all bar the front 3 foot. This will now be left free for the dogs to have the full width at night.

This does however afford us a lot more storage space.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ok so I'm at a similar stage with my build and before sorting the ply floor the guy I'm buying it from offers the lashing points pre cut now I don't need them as its a camper but r the centre points for instance used to bolt the 3/4 width R&R beds? Sorry if this is a bit of a groundhog question!:*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts