VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new to the T4 Forum and i am looking for a SWB T4 to convert into a Camper/Day van.
One thing i need to know before i go looking at them is what engine is best for the biggest MPG ?
80-90% of my journeys are spent on the motorway and i'm happy to plod along a 65mph.
I am coming from a really economical car (65mpg) and the van is going to be my daily driver and i commute 30 miles per day again on 80% motorway. I usually do about 1500 miles per month.
I would be happy to run a van on veg oil if that would help ?

I have spoke to a couple of owners and they both told me vastly different figures for MPG.

It would be great to find out what engines people have and what MPG you are getting.

Mark

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Hello, If I were you I'd be looking at the 1.9td which I have, plenty will say the 2.5 which may return a couple of mpg more but if running on bio/veg I would say the 1.9td wins hands down and will be more economical, maintenance costs will be cheaper too, and lets be honest with the traffic levels what they are who needs to be driving like a twonk as the 2.5 owners will tell you it's much faster but who gives a ***t T:

·
Registered
60 Posts
... the 2.5 owners will tell you it's much faster but who gives a ***t T:
The 2.5 is much faster...dont bother with this 65mph business, put your foot down and drive like a twonk - i do and i can get anything up to 67 or 68 mph (head down, jiggling forward on my seat, down hill with a tail wind) and still return 37mpg Rasp:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Speed is not really an issue although i would like to be able to do a stead 75ish on the motorway when needed without flogging it !
On that note can you retro-fit cruise control to a T4 ?

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Speed is not really an issue although i would like to be able to do a stead 75ish on the motorway when needed without flogging it !
On that note can you retro-fit cruise control to a T4 ?
Guess you'll need to stick with the fossil fuel then....I:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
75mph all day is not a problem for the 1.9td. The best by far for both worlds is a 1.9 tdi but you would need to convert as VW never made one. There are 30+ 1.9tdi converts on here and growing by the week T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I do a rough mix daily commute on a 50mile round trip - half is open dual carriageway, then its a load of narrow 40mph twisties, then stop start through the town.

Ive never managed to crack 40mpg, equally never less than 36, on a 2000 2.5tdi with intercooler and remap (about 128BHP). I dont drive like a twonk, but I dont drive like miss daisy either - for me the 2.5 extra performance is nothing to do with top speed as I still choose to cruise around 75, but everything to do with overtaking safely and as little time on the wrong side of the road as possible! My mate loves his 1.9, but overtaking is not really a concept he understands.. ;-)

(stands by for flaming from 1.9 owners, but I'll stand by the statement, theres a world of difference in overtaking ability between a remapped 2.5 and a standard 1.9 - and given there's no noticeable difference in economy between the two of us, I know which I'd have! )

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Think what we're saying to the OP is there's no significant difference in MPG whichever engine you have, from standard 1.9 through to tweaked 2.5, though we may have personal preferences.. they're all roughly high thirties up to 40mpg regardless.

Maybe look for as clean/tidy/solid/etc example as you can for your budget, the engine size would appear to be less relevant if mpg is your concern.

(no-one's mentioned the 2.4d, and I dont know anything about that one)

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Think what we're saying to the OP is there's no significant difference in MPG whichever engine you have, from standard 1.9 through to tweaked 2.5, though we may have personal preferences.. they're all roughly high thirties up to 40mpg regardless.

Maybe look for as clean/tidy/solid/etc example as you can for your budget, the engine size would appear to be less relevant if mpg is your concern.

(no-one's mentioned the 2.4d, and I dont know anything about that one)
I concurr mate, just get the best you can get for the money and give extra consideration to the 1.9td if you are handy with spanners too T:T: Cambelt is cheap as chips and takes about 90minutes to do, i wouldn't touch it on a 2.5 or a 2.4.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you want cruise control then the 2.5 is the only one you can fit it to.

You want to cruise at 75 then again the 2.5, as without changing the gearing the 1.9 TD will do it but it's noisy and the mpg suffers

personaly I have the 1.9td and it's fine for me and I wouldn't swap for the 2.5 but I don't use it as a daily driver. I like the cheap and easy running costs of the 1.9 but would probably tire of it if it was my daily runner.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
I do a rough mix daily commute on a 50mile round trip - half is open dual carriageway, then its a load of narrow 40mph twisties, then stop start through the town.

Ive never managed to crack 40mpg, equally never less than 36, on a 2000 2.5tdi with intercooler and remap (about 128BHP). I dont drive like a twonk, but I dont drive like miss daisy either - for me the 2.5 extra performance is nothing to do with top speed as I still choose to cruise around 75, but everything to do with overtaking safely and as little time on the wrong side of the road as possible! My mate loves his 1.9, but overtaking is not really a concept he understands.. ;-)

(stands by for flaming from 1.9 owners, but I'll stand by the statement, theres a world of difference in overtaking ability between a remapped 2.5 and a standard 1.9 - and given there's no noticeable difference in economy between the two of us, I know which I'd have! )
Have you not yet realised what a complete waste of time overtaking is on today's roads? All you need is reliability, efficiency and stress free motoring.. T:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if i want cruise then a 2.5tdi is the only engine this is available for..... ?
40 mpg would be liveable....

Whats the deal with veg oil then ?

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
So if i want cruise then a 2.5tdi is the only engine this is available for..... ?
40 mpg would be liveable....

Whats the deal with veg oil then ?
The deal is you can use in the 1.9td without modification, there are plenty of threads on here relating to this, but if you want to cruise go for the 2.5, alas I really don't know how I ever managed with the likes of Beetles as daily drivers a few years ago I:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Go for a Tdi T: You wont regret it.. But with all these T4 engines your never gonna get more than 40mpg and if you are converting it as you said in post 1 then your going to be getting even less than that :ILU:

I've had - Tdi 102, 2.4d, 2.5petrol. 1.9d and 1.9td Best mpg i got was from my 1.9d (and thats a straight D no turbo) BUT i wouldnt suggest you get one of those LOL:..

Best by far was the Tdi T: Go fot it! :cool:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Everyone. Just to add a little to the other side I have a 2.4d. My van would cruise all day at the legal speed, you just need to work it a bit on the hills. I have not driven a 2.5, so I can not compare mine on cruising noise. My van normaly does about 30-35 mpg, not quite as good as a 2.5. But as I run my on 60-70 % waste veg oil, at about 60p a litre, that helps keep running costs down.

The other thing is my 2.4d is cheap to maintain and cheap to fix and cheaper to buy. I'm sure to 2.5 is a faster and smoother van, but for me the running cost's are more important. I have had my van for nearly 8 years now and covered more than 120,000 miles since I bought it and I love it.

John. :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hello Mr Nitro,

I'm the proud owner of an ex AA 2.5TDI. If I drive it real easy I get 720+ miles from the tank. When I did the math I think it was close to 45mpg on that tankful. Recon on average driving steadily I get around the 40 mark.

Hope this helps. T:

·
Registered
49 Posts
My vans just back from france fully laden n i mean fully lol sittin at a steady 7o mph got 660 miles from tank returning 41.9 mpg its a 2002 1,9

i was advised away from 2.5 due to repair bills n more than glad i chose my 1.9

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
how about this my son has t4 fitted golf 1.9d engine.out of 95 car faster than t4 engine does 43.96 mpg driving 60/65mph.dirt cheap.compaired to my 2.5td1 following him same speed i got 40.01mpg.overtaking not much between us.but i take points raised by others.you pays your hard earned money.??????????.T:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yet to find out how my 1.9td does on a good run but Im getting a constant 32 mpg and thats a lot of urban work so I rekon that will go up towards the high 30s for the run to Spain in a few weeks. It sits just fine at 65mph and even 70 is ok above that I dont really like as she's gettin on a bit and I like being kind to her. I do wonder if decat and stainless will add a touch more to economy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts