VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just wonder if anyone can give me some advice regarding my rear springs and tyre set up, I'm hoping to make the ride a bit more comfortable as it's not great at the mo, can anyone tell me what springs are currently fitted by looking at the pic and advise what would be a better alternative. In an ideal world I would change the low profile tyres as i guess they don't help matters but is it a case of just changing the tyres with a new suspension set up or would I need to change the rims as well, sorry for the basic questions, the van is relatively new to us and my knowledge of wheels is rubbish!

For some reason the spring pic is upside down :*, hopefully you get the idea!

·
Registered
528 Posts
What nicklouse said. If you've not got to much weight in the rear I'd personally go vogtland, they only lower 40mm but are the lowest of the bunch. Be aware what ever ones you chose will raise your rear suspension from its current level.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I had those wheels on my bus when I got it. The loads rating is inefficient at only 680kg. So its good that your getting shot of them!

They also had tyres with a profile of 40 and one wheel cracked.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had those wheels on my bus when I got it. The loads rating is inefficient at only 680kg. So its good that your getting shot of them!

They also had tyres with a profile of 40 and one wheel cracked.
Oh dear, now I'm worried!

I have 225/40ZR18 tyres on there as well, what should I be looking at when I replace then?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I dont want to make you worried about it bud just try dodging pot holes as much as possible for the time being.

I ended up ditching them entirely for a set of 16 inch merc wheels.

New tyres ive got on now are 102 xl load rated with a profile of 60.

Ive got 3 spare if yours start cracking too! Lol

I did really like the wheel was a shame I had to get rid. Like the look of big rims and skinny tyres. But with a lwb there heavier than the swb with a bigger rear axle I believe some lwb are heavier than others too!

Now im running these and pot holes and poor ride quality are a thing of the past..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont want to make you worried about it bud just try dodging pot holes as much as possible for the time being.

I ended up ditching them entirely for a set of 16 inch merc wheels.

New tyres ive got on now are 102 xl load rated with a profile of 60.

Ive got 3 spare if yours start cracking too! Lol

I did really like the wheel was a shame I had to get rid. Like the look of big rims and skinny tyres. But with a lwb there heavier than the swb with a bigger rear axle I believe some lwb are heavier than others too!

Now im running these and pot holes and poor ride quality are a thing of the past..

Looks good mate T:
Seems like it's a bit if a minefield, just looked on the classified section to see if there was anything on there and there's wheels on there with a load rating of 650kg
Like you I like the look of the skinnier tyres, problem is we travel to Combe Martin a couple of times a month and the roads around that area are full of pot holes, plus the other half uses the van to travel to her work, might have to change I guess

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks mate.

You may find there in the classified section because more are getting wise to under rated wheels perhaps? And are getting shot of them.

Im not sure on the lightest of swb t4s might be ok on 650kgs im not sure at all but I know that mine (lwb 1200) needs 900 odd. Some clever chap on the forum knows how to figure what you need out.. have a read through this.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=364734

Im sure someone said somewhere in there..

The tyre man I use said I would probly have been ok on 45 profile tyres and would still be running the audi wheels now. But I like you knew naff all about wheels and tyres when I begun with didnt even know what all the numbers ment. But when I realised they were totally wrong I had to get rid.

Low profile + 18's + heavy vehicle + hole in road = trashy ride, damaging stuff and colurful language aimed at the council.

I really dont know how people go above 18s.. I envy the look massively yeah.. but..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like some night time reading there Matt, lol
I don't want to run the risk of problems so I'll keep an eye out for some wheels, expensive pastime considering I want to change the rear springs as well I:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was wondering where I got the 900kgs from.. but I think I should have said standard wheels are nearly 900kg rated. I got it from somewhere anyway! Haha

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had the same problem with our T4.
Rubbish springs on the back which meant when we put our R'n'R in, the back sank right down (even cutting the rear tyre on the arch)

I wasnt sure about which set to put on, so I ended up putting on a set of T4's r us 50mm Medium/heavy lowering springs.
I run 245x40x18 on the back. Before the ride was terrible but now its like a new van.

I don't know what its like with bigger profiles etc...but for me they really work. And they're only £99 T:

Sorted the van out untill I can decide on what I really want

Only my opinion though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the same problem with our T4.
Rubbish springs on the back which meant when we put our R'n'R in, the back sank right down (even cutting the rear tyre on the arch)

I wasnt sure about which set to put on, so I ended up putting on a set of T4's r us 50mm Medium/heavy lowering springs.
I run 245x40x18 on the back. Before the ride was terrible but now its like a new van.

I don't know what its like with bigger profiles etc...but for me they really work. And they're only £99 T:

Sorted the van out untill I can decide on what I really want

Only my opinion though.
Thanks for that mate, I'm not sure which springs are in the back, we have a rock n roll bed and units in there but it seems to still sit ok, the rides fine on level roads but if you wander down B roads in North Devon it's like you've got 2 concrete blocks as rear springs, perhaps I'm just getting old, lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts