VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i spent a productive day today in the garage trimming the 2 roof panels plus the 2 fitting strips. I did this on my old van and loved the results so I thought as part of the new project we would do it again. So the Alcantara cloth came off the ebay, and spray glue I bought locally.

So you have to be aware too much glue bleeds through the cloth, the cloth does not stretch and you are covering curved panels, so basically i pin all four corners of the cloth down using mini clamps then fold the cloth say 1/3 form a corner and spary only the panel not the cloth as well, then carefully smooth the cloth down over the glued section, and repeat sounds easy the trick is pulling the cloth taut and not getting air bubbles under. I used an old soldering iron to form the holes where the factory clips go. The air vents in the roof panels are because my van has the heater box thingy in the back.
Automotive design Purple Table Textile Rectangle
Couch Textile Wood Living room Flooring
Bag Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Luggage and bags

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,754 Posts
Just to add to Iain' thread if I may, thought it may help others attempting this .................

When I did this a few years back I knew the 'seep through' would be a problem, glue finding it's way onto the front of the fabric. So I sprayed loads of Hair Spray onto the surfaces before applying the glue, it creates a protective film as such and a very good bonding layer. I must also add at this stage, it's probably wise to use heat resistant adhesive as the roof panels get very hot during the summer months, if you don't, chances are the adhesive will begin to come unstuck.

Here's my 'HowTo' if anyone's interested >
Lulu DIY build thread .......... The unconventional way !

That Alacantra is great looking Iain, expensive stuff too! So I used 'Faux Suede', looks pretty decent as well.
Nice job mate :)(y)

TURK

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not real Alcantara more like faux suede, the last time i used trimfix and that held up really well this time i have used a glue for trimming car interiors, the hairspray trick is one to remember so thanks for that

·
Registered
13,437 Posts
Looks good 👍 .
We used suede liner from harrisons with very similar looking results but sounds easier to work with then the stuff you used.
Have you fitted it yet ?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yeah the suedeliner from Harrisons has a slight one-way stretch to it but it's also available in a stretchy version too which makes it easier for trimming contours like the cab headliner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts