VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here you go buzby3xx my roof in Alcantara. This stuff is lovely to work with, and gives a nice smooth look (i think) leather looked a bit heavy on the roof, vinyl looked a bit cheap, painted and smooth panels looked a bit chav and carpet is well carpet! Finally settled on alancatara, really pleased with it, really looking forward to doing some more stuff with it!

Also dropped in some 350z seats, not exactly bright orange but near enough, really cant stand the colour of them, will have to get them done soon, when i am not so skint:eek:

Its a bit bright hey:ILU:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:ILU: took a full on week to re do it, when i say a full week i mean 9am till 1.30am the hours just fly byI:

think its a bit to bright now:confused:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you dont mind me asking...whats the price and where do i get some Alc...Alcant....erm stuff?:D
Are you sitting down happydays? if not you should be:eek:

its £85 per sq metre + vat + post:eek:

My van has had many changes over the years (3) i have used all sorts of materials on the panels and roof, even painted panels before, But i really like the alcantara it gives a good look, But the price really brings it down:(

Have seen some good fake or faux alcantara it feels a bit crispy to the real stuff and has less nap so looks a bit more uniform, which is no bad thing and obviously its a lot cheaperA: but its really hard to find a supplier for it:(

·
Registered
228 Posts
top work and many thanks for posting,my wife now finds it funny that i have sudden interest in visiting all the local material shops!H:.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That is looking stunning Will. Well worth the time, effort and cost. Even if....

Are you sitting down happydays? if not you should be:eek:

its £85 per sq metre + vat + post:eek: :(

That means you've probably chucked away £100 worth where the sunroof cut-outs went! I: :eek:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've been shopping around for Alcantara too. You can get the faux stuff cheaper but in limited colours. What is it like to work with Will? Is there any stretch in it to work round corners etc, could you do the door panels for instance, and have you used spray glue to hold it? T:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome stuff to work with, it will stretch to do door cards and stuff, stuck on with contact adhesive spray glue.

I've been shopping around for Alcantara too. You can get the faux stuff cheaper but in limited colours. What is it like to work with Will? Is there any stretch in it to work round corners etc, could you do the door panels for instance, and have you used spray glue to hold it? T:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Any idea if the faux stuff has the same stretch qualitys as proper Alcantara? Where did your get yours from?
I had started doing my door cards in vinyl but after a week or so they just looked cheap so I am holding off till I try something else. They are an expensive trial and error job these damn buses aren't they? :eek:

Awesome stuff to work with, it will stretch to do door cards and stuff, stuck on with contact adhesive spray glue.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice, I went for the boring grey. Its lovely material and worth every penny. If you are going to trim something with alot of shape to it the i advise you to use the "unsupported" version (without a backing on) but if you are using it for seats or the bed the get the type with the backing on, it stops the material going baggy over time and use. the Uk importer of geniune alcantara is boyrivern or boydrivern or something like thatI:
The best type of faux alcantara with lots of choice in colours is called dynamica theres a few places that sell it on the net. Over the years i've used both for various things and the genuine item is the best but for nearly 3 times as much per meter you'd expect so.
Happy trimming
Brendan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts