VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

The battery in my T4 is now starting to really struggle starting the van after a weekend of not being used, and the cold weather is making it even worse (got the battery on charge now after it wouldn't start this evening). So, I've decided to splash out on a new battery.

On checking the one fitted, it is a "096" size battery, which google tells me is usually around the 75Ah capcity. This seems a bit low for a van, I always thought that van batteries were a bit bigger and bulkier than normal. Does anyone know what size (as in capacity) battery they have fitted to their vans?

Secondly, as I am buying new, are there any other size, preferably bigger) batteries that I could fit, that are a straight swap (i.e. fit the same mountings)?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
75 is standard fit. It is the CCA figure that is more important for a starting battery. 660 CCA and upwards is good.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,733 Posts
My 2.5TDi is quite happy to start at -20C with a 75Ah battery.....up to 30 secs before the glow-plug light goes out, then it's "whirr, whirr, BRUM"....don't think it's ever had to crank over more than 2 secs before it started.
As the old guy above says....it's more down to the cranking capacity than the Ah rating. (Also the reason why you should NEVER try to start your van from a "leisure" battery! ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts