VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has come up a few times with a little detail of how to do it but I was hoping to get some definitive answers on exactly how to do it.

I've got a 2009 T5 and a new Beetle steering wheel which I attempted to fit. I got the correct wiring lead for the air bag and started grinding out the hole in the wheel to allow the T5 connector to fit through but it seemed that it wouldn't leave much material in the corners of the holes so I gave up.

The problem is that the connector on the T5 slip ring doesn't fit through the hole in the Beetle wheel. I'm now wondering if it's possible to fit the Beetle slip ring or a hybrid of the Beetle one with the T5 one. It would be nice to do it with factory parts and not cut away at the structure of the steering wheel.

Has anyone done it this way?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at some pictures of the slip rings and they look very different. I guess enlarging the hole on the wheel is the only option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just thought I'd update this thread with my findings on fitting a new beetle steering wheel in a T5.

To anyone thinking of doing this my advice would be don't!

I had already bought a cheap beetle steering wheel and I'd read all threads I could find about it so I thought I'd give it a go. The problems with getting it to fit are that the beetle airbag has a different plug but you can combine the wiring looms of the two without soldering. The biggest problem is that the connector on the T5 slip ring is much bigger than the one on the golf so doesn't fit through the hole in the wheel. I had read that you need to file out the hole and that after there was plenty of metal left, but that is not true. I started enlarging the hole and got to the point where there was only about 2mm of metal left on the outer ring of the hub (under the rubber coating) and filed it down to the edge of the inner hub and it was still a way off being big enough. In my opinion that's not safe.

Maybe anyone who has fitted one has a different slip ring to the one on my van. For reference mine is a pre-facelift 2009 T30.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I did this on my previous van, I don't have a dremel so did all the filing by hand which took some time :oops: there wasn't much metal left as you say but never had any issues and had the van ten years.
re the airbag I gritted my teeth and soldered the T5 plug onto the beetle airbag and stood as far back as I could when I first switched on the ignition :LOL: all worked fine though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts