VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, Ive just had new disks and pads fitted to my 1999 2.5tdi auto by a local garage and now i have a problem.

All was fine until the new stuff went on and now when you go for a drive all the brakes seem to stick and you need a big jab on the brake pedal which seems to free them sometimes. Now the thing is that sometimes they dont stick and sometimes they do. Its been back to the garage several times and they said they cant find a problem and everything is as free as it should be.

So what could be the problem?? :*

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
could be that they never took the lid off the fluid reservoir, before pushing the calipers back,this sometimes causes fluid to turn the seal in the master cylinder out side in,meaning fluid can pass to lock the brakes,but not return to free them :*

·
Registered
125 Posts
did they check the actual condition of the pistons on the calipers and if the dust seals were intact.both pistons on my calipers were not returning properly.ALL is perfect now after some attention.the pistons can build up with dirt and cause them to stick and not move in and out smoothly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they have checked the pistons and said they are ok but i supose you dont know for sure until you check yourself :(

How do I check the master cylinder, the seal looks to be ok??

·
Registered
21 Posts
When they are sticking pull back the brake pedal towards you and see if it stops. Servos giving plenty of trouble lately. Could be the rubber diaphragm ageing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have just replaced rear discs and pads and now am having the same problem. I have found when the engine is not running the wheels have a very slight bit of drag as you would expect even after pumping the brake pedal a few times but when I start the engine and press the pedal the wheels are almost solid ???

I have noticed when driving, if I lift the brake pedal it get slightly better . Could this be a servo problem then ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts