VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
6,662 Posts
Hi Hobbyhorse, actally there is some quantifyable results here, the fact that the mapper is getting 1.9 bar is significant as is the need for .260 injectors. With previous builds PP1 were enough but on this - its different. While there are no bhp figures yet the latter 2 facts are quite significant and suggestive of the final result. Regarding the DMF - I have been running 170 on my van for years with no signs of DMF issues as yet. I run an LUK kit.

As Alan siad, he's post the results once he has them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
? I reckon. It’s the torque I’m interested in.

Do you, or anyone know anything about this 02B gearbox mod that I can import from America? An uprated central shaft I think. Daz mentioned it not long before finishing and I left without following it up.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Do you, or anyone know anything about this 02B gearbox mod
The main weakness with the 02B is its rather unfortunate habit of dropping an internal rivet head (from the diff cover) & the inevitable grenade that follows, usually culminating in a hole smashed through the casing; upping the power increases the risk. The only mod I know of is an upgrade bolt kit that replaces the rivets but if you're taking the box off the most prudent course of action would be to source an 02G & fit that instead.

You can prolong the life of the 02B (and clutch) by 'soft mapping' between 2-3K RPM - kinda defeats the object of power mods if you have to throw some of it away.

HH

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thanks. Is the 02G a straight swap or will it need additional/ tweaked components and would it allow for stronger driveshafts?

I might be remembering wrong but when he worked on my van I seem to recall Tim Cooper, RT Sport saying something about needing to find one with its oil pan or something - which is different from my 02B one?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
? I reckon. It’s the torque I’m interested in.

Do you, or anyone know anything about this 02B gearbox mod that I can import from America? An uprated central shaft I think. Daz mentioned it not long before finishing and I left without following it up.
Increasing the torque ( hopefully) is the reason I've sent my ABL turbo to Ron, the 1.9td is a long way down on the 2.5's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Increasing the torque ( hopefully) is the reason I've sent my ABL turbo to Ron, the 1.9td is a long way down on the 2.5's.
Interesting. You’re in good hands. Any idea what you’re expecting out of it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The main weakness with the 02B is its rather unfortunate habit of dropping an internal rivet head (from the diff cover) & the inevitable grenade that follows, usually culminating in a hole smashed through the casing; upping the power increases the risk. The only mod I know of is an upgrade bolt kit that replaces the rivets but if you're taking the box off the most prudent course of action would be to source an 02G & fit that instead.

You can prolong the life of the 02B (and clutch) by 'soft mapping' between 2-3K RPM - kinda defeats the object of power mods if you have to throw some of it away.

HH
Are you on about these?

What would be the benefit of an 02G over fitting these?

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Festa, Name your favourite race car driver. Who ever it is, maybe Grand Prix driver, do you think he pins the ‘cars’ success on ‘his’ mechanical skills?

Im not a mechanic. I have a rough idea and have enjoyed learning things about my van but because it’s not only my daily driver but also my bread and butter (it’s my work van), I can’t afford to get things wrong/ not have things running well or be spending time off work under the van.

I have, and will continue to use skilled professionals with a strong reputation for quality to supply their proven parts and skilled labour in ensuring that my van isn’t an old bag of bolts.

To those that have the time, circumstances and abilities to maintain more of their van on their own, I take my hat off to you.

My business runs on recommendation. 24 years in my trade. Because I appreciate how valuable referrals are to my efforts at my skills along with customer service I will always do what I can to back up other like minded tradesmen.

I’d like to think that many on here would speak positively about members builds and learn from the results? That’s what I came on here for. Was I wrong?

And as a closing comment, if you look on the Facebook T17 page you’ll notice James Hardacre was in CEAutomotive the day after my van was and mentioned Daz’s comments as he’d worked on it. No ghost writing going on here.
I don't care much for drivers as they are over paid and full of themselves. Maybe they are good at there job but if I spent as much time behind a wheel with unlimited funds to have a full team to put back together what I've crashed or broken then I maybe just as good. Unfortunately I don't have a team monitoring my vehicle or mechanics to tell me what's going to go wrong so it's upto me to know from noises or the feel of the vehicle to know there is a problem. I'm a firm believer that if you know how something works then you'll be able to fix it. And yes I've had many a time on a hard shoulder or side of the road to deal with a mechanical failure.
I've been in my business self employed for over 35 years and know that customer service is key but I still like to work on my own van....out of choice no but if I'm happy with it then I've meet my standard. It's taken me over 10 years from the start to get to the stage at what I am now and I've managed to double the power and torque of my pd motor. It's also not been cheap and each rebuild is in the region of £7k. To give an idea I've done 4 rebuilds in 3 years and managed some good figures but also know what doesn't work. I can't ask many as not many are where I am. I'm currently running with over 2.5 bar boost but with the new rebuild this has dropped but I'm over the power of what I had with less boost. Lower compression also helps reduce head lift of which I'm no stranger too, LPG injection, water/meth's is what I use to increase power but I'm probably running close to 250 bar combustion pressures. Gearboxs, drivehafts,clutches I've had many the same with brakes, but I now run sensible torque delivery, egt's and emp. Yes we become addicted to the fun of a 2 ton vehicle doing what it shouldn't. I'm just waiting for the next thing to break so I can over come the next problem... oh yes here's my dyno graph if it means anything...it's how it drives
that counts

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Let me also add....(since I can edit everyone elses post's except my own)... that I also know my engine is not a 5 pot ve. But the principle of increasing power is the same. It's easier to start with and the £ per bhp is good but as you start to increase the bhp becomes harder to find

·
Registered
864 Posts
That thing must be scary to drive with that much bhp and torque ! Well done mate, you're a stubborn son of a gun, ya !

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
That thing must be scary to drive with that much bhp and torque ! Well done mate, you're a stubborn son of a gun, ya !
You for one know's how much money I have thrown at this and it is due back for tuning again. Bobby only done the vnt map and adjusted the stop screw on the turbo so I have better emp, from now on in it's now down to fuelling with any luck. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is when you get to a certain power point you can't find the same percentage of increase and you have to think outside the box. I'm glad I have a vnt type turbo as the old style wastegated units must be a right pain to map when you have spikes and leakage through the waste gate. I know of a couple of T4's that are now running with a vnt gtb2260 in the standard position and are getting very good results, it's just a matter of finding the other weak links. I understand your not over here anymore due to personal issues ? I may have to look you up when I'm at my brothers over where you are but it's not a small area is it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I don't care much for drivers as they are over paid and full of themselves. Maybe they are good at there job but if I spent as much time behind a wheel with unlimited funds to have a full team to put back together what I've crashed or broken then I maybe just as good. Unfortunately I don't have a team monitoring my vehicle or mechanics to tell me what's going to go wrong so it's upto me to know from noises or the feel of the vehicle to know there is a problem. I'm a firm believer that if you know how something works then you'll be able to fix it. And yes I've had many a time on a hard shoulder or side of the road to deal with a mechanical failure.
I've been in my business self employed for over 35 years and know that customer service is key but I still like to work on my own van....out of choice no but if I'm happy with it then I've meet my standard. It's taken me over 10 years from the start to get to the stage at what I am now and I've managed to double the power and torque of my pd motor. It's also not been cheap and each rebuild is in the region of £7k. To give an idea I've done 4 rebuilds in 3 years and managed some good figures but also know what doesn't work. I can't ask many as not many are where I am. I'm currently running with over 2.5 bar boost but with the new rebuild this has dropped but I'm over the power of what I had with less boost. Lower compression also helps reduce head lift of which I'm no stranger too, LPG injection, water/meth's is what I use to increase power but I'm probably running close to 250 bar combustion pressures. Gearboxs, drivehafts,clutches I've had many the same with brakes, but I now run sensible torque delivery, egt's and emp. Yes we become addicted to the fun of a 2 ton vehicle doing what it shouldn't. I'm just waiting for the next thing to break so I can over come the next problem... oh yes here's my dyno graph if it means anything...it's how it drives View attachment 177335 that counts
I enjoyed reading that ??. As Adams said, that must be a scary drive with that much torque! ? Mine’s pretty daft on traction as it is and I reckon I’ve got to be 150nm off of that! You got traction control on a T5?

·
6,662 Posts
Comparing wastegate and VNT is like comparing diamonds and pearls. There is little doubt that the vnt will outperform wastegate Turbos.

not wanting to go too far off track on what was supposed to be focused on a new slant on a wastegate, we have something in the pipeline in a 2260 flavour hybrid that hasn’t been done before. It’s flow tested to walk past 250 bhp and has potential for 350 on a T4 but it’s very early to be taking about in depth.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I enjoyed reading that ??. As Adams said, that must be a scary drive with that much torque! ? Mine’s pretty daft on traction as it is and I reckon I’ve got to be 150nm off of that! You got traction control on a T5?
Yes I have traction control but I normally turn it off as all it wants to do is put the brakes on..It can't react quick enough. It was the same on my old T4 as the traction control seemed to brake the wheel that was moving so it used the diff to move the power to the wheel that wasn't moving. Crude yes ...LSD would be the way.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Comparing wastegate and VNT is like comparing diamonds and pearls. There is little doubt that the vnt will outperform wastegate Turbos.

not wanting to go too far off track on what was supposed to be focused on a new slant on a wastegate, we have something in the pipeline in a 2260 flavour hybrid that hasn’t been done before. It’s flow tested to walk past 250 bhp and has potential for 350 on a T4 but it’s very early to be taking about in depth.
I agree Ron...That's why I decided to ditch the old gen 1 vnt and move to a gen 3 as there seemed to be a few problems along the way. The next step is to dump the vacuum control and go with an electronic actuator as these react quicker, it's just trying to get it to fit

·
6,662 Posts
Electronic is an ideal move if you can get it to work right Chris, good luck with that and keep us posted.

coming back on topic Alan’s van is with bobby this weekend - fingers and thumbs crossed. We fitted him out with .260 nozzles which in themselves have made a good deal of difference.

kets see what this VE system makes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Collected my van from Bobby last night just before lockdown kicked in. Need it for work.
He commented “I know it’s been expensive but it’s a quick T4.”
So, now the .260’s are mapped in.
From cold, no smoke - driving sensibly.
I let it warm up for a bit and just cruised the motorway in 60 for a bit. Low boost, I can just feel it can take off.
I put my foot down in 5th, the turbo goes ballistic and I watch the rev needle spin out! So, I’ve already discovered that I need to save up for an uprated clutch. No point stressing over it. I’ll just have to wind in my enthusiasm a bit.
So I ease on the throttle. Much better! Don’t get me wrong, this will happily goes north of a ton without the 5th gear conversion!
Will I take it there?.... Probably not very often as it now scares the pants off of me! I’ll get it dyno’d as possible considering the lockdown situation and I’m pretty certain that the printout will be something to talk about.
I’ll get it dyno’d again later in the year as and when I can afford the uprated clutch too.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts