VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Does the mapper have a rolling road or was this a generic map ?

For the amount of mods you've had done you really need a 'live' map to get he best out of your investment.
I can say it's not a generic map and yes it was a live map...also the tuner tried to get it on a rolling road but they were shut because of the virus...I assume they are not classed as a key worker.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Eh? Can you live map without a rolling road ??? How do you measure the power curve & modify the fuelling / boost ratio without live feedback from a dyno ?

Yeah...sort of...ask adamss24.
You can read a LOAD of data back from the ECU to help "tune" the map without a dyno.
Obviously NOT as good, but Pendle Perforator made his (old) reputation for tuning without one.
Now he actually has one (in a lockup, that doesn't even have a toilet!!!) his reputation has now gone south of the antarctic circle!!!

I call him "Perforator", as he managed to push my vacuum pipe into the cooling fans....and 100 miles into my trip to Glasgow and back, I had no servo brakes!!!
He also left me with a smoky van, no paperwork, and of course...no receipt for payment.. :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Eh? Can you live map without a rolling road ??? How do you measure the power curve & modify the fuelling / boost ratio without live feedback from a dyno ?

Yeah...sort of...ask adamss24.
You can read a LOAD of data back from the ECU to help "tune" the map without a dyno.
Obviously NOT as good, but Pendle Perforator made his (old) reputation for tuning without one.
Now he actually has one (in a lockup, that doesn't even have a toilet!!!) his reputation has now gone south of the antarctic circle!!!

I call him "Perforator", as he managed to push my vacuum pipe into the cooling fans....and 100 miles into my trip to Glasgow and back, I had no servo brakes!!!
He also left me with a smoky van, no paperwork, and of course...no receipt for payment.. :whistle:
It's not only the data from the ecu that you read. I know the mapper that Alan used and he will also use a afr gauge, emp and egt measuring so set the turbo and set fuelling. The best tunes are road tunes as it's real time real world driving with wind and road loading on the vehicle. A dyno is just to prove figures for pub talk....the real proof is in the driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
How much did Bobby charged you for the map ? You better go for the ACV gearbox, its a lot stronger...
How much did Bobby charged you for the map ? You better go for the ACV gearbox, its a lot stronger...
Hello Adam?
First map £450 then £200 to map in the bigger injectors and allow for more mid range boost if I’m not mistaken.
I’d really appreciate a definitive answer on the ACV box front. Can it be fitted routinely by a good mechanic and if so, exactly what parts would I need to complete the job?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It's not only the data from the ecu that you read. I know the mapper that Alan used and he will also use a afr gauge, emp and egt measuring so set the turbo and set fuelling. The best tunes are road tunes as it's real time real world driving with wind and road loading on the vehicle. A dyno is just to prove figures for pub talk....the real proof is in the driving.
What He said.
Bobby has skills ... and strong nerves. He told me I definitely need to uprate from stock brakes and what I thought was good suspension? - Bilstein B6/ Eibachs as he struggled to rein in the power on its test drive.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello Adam?
First map £450 then £200 to map in the bigger injectors and allow for more mid range boost if I’m not mistaken.
I’d really appreciate a definitive answer on the ACV box front. Can it be fitted routinely by a good mechanic and if so, exactly what parts would I need to complete the job?
I know Bobby well, he doesn't do things by halves ! Bobby has really good understanding of EDC15, he was the 1st in uk to break 300 Bhp in a golf mk4 pd150 ALR engine. I also had quite a few maps done by him- mainly DPF delete's on edc17 cars with T-prot Infineon tricore chips/Ecu's...so he does know his job. ACV gearbox will fit relatively easy, you need shifter mechanism, gearbox with mount/support and driveshafts...its doable in a day but hard to do without a crane...Also all clutch components are different so you need to make sure slave cylinder is there along with the clutch feed pipe. ACV clutch will get your power on the road no problem, just get organic clutch disc from Sachs SRE and uprated pressure plate. Always fit a new slave cylinder as its internal and a really pain to get at ! I you get to that trouble then really 150 Bhp multivan gearbox is even better as it as 240mm clutch and its 6 speed as well, just not as common as the 102 Bhp gearbox...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I know Bobby well, he doesn't do things by halves ! Bobby has really good understanding of EDC15, he was the 1st in uk to break 300 Bhp in a golf mk4 pd150 ALR engine. I also had quite a few maps done by him- mainly DPF delete's on edc17 cars with T-prot Infineon tricore chips/Ecu's...so he does know his job. ACV gearbox will fit relatively easy, you need shifter mechanism, gearbox with mount/support and driveshafts...its doable in a day but hard to do without a crane...Also all clutch components are different so you need to make sure slave cylinder is there along with the clutch feed pipe. ACV clutch will get your power on the road no problem, just get organic clutch disc from Sachs SRE and uprated pressure plate. Always fit a new slave cylinder as its internal and a really pain to get at ! I you get to that trouble then really 150 Bhp multivan gearbox is even better as it as 240mm clutch and its 6 speed as well, just not as common as the 102 Bhp gearbox...
Thanks. Some homework for me. Probably for a future budget now.
Thinking of running this in my 02B for now, waiting for their comments: DriveTorque Stage 2.5 Dual Friction Clutch Kit for VW - larkspeed.com

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would not fit a ceramic clutch, they are very grabby and its difficult to take off smoothly. Best to get a clutch with organic friction linings or carbon/kevlar linings. The organic clutch is the closest thing to a stock clutch in terms o driving comfort...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Also gearbox is the ticking bomb although i know of a t4 with a 2.5 tdi syncro 150 Bhp multivan which have a swapped 1.9 tdi syncro 5 speed box with longer final drive and aftermarket clutch and its still in one piece despite being really abused by multiple drivers and owner... Not running stock power either...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So it seems it’s impossible to find a clutch claimed capable of the suspected torque of this van 🤦🏼‍♂️.
Help me to understand something please; the clutch plate for the 102 ACV engine (Gearbox code AFK I think) is 219mm. Isn’t that exactly the same size as the one in my 88 AJT at the moment? (DUJ gearbox) - 219mm)
If I looked to change over to the AFK gearbox won’t the clutch slip just as much as it does right now?
Sorry if I’m missing something - please educate me.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Welcome to the world of modification :) The problem your going to have is chasing the weak points. If you do the clutch first the weak point is going to move to the next, you don't really wantt to have the gearbox suddenly stop when the engine is doing 3000 rpm as it won't do that any favours either.. It's not always down to how much surface area you have in contact with the flywheel or cover plate as a smaller friction disk can hold torque depending on the weight of the cover. Just think of the high heal of a girls shoe compared to a training shoe... the girl's shoe has a higher pressure contact point which digs in. If you go to the trouble of changing a clutch out on a gearbox that's like cheese then it's going to be a waste of time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks Festa,
So although the clutch plate is the same size in both boxes, the AFK box from the 102bhp ACV van has a much stronger pressure plate? So the disc is less likely to slip under the same torque load?

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I had a few t4's but didn't really get to involed with them like I do with my T5. It's like a 130 5 cylinder to a 174 5 cylinder, they share a lot of the same components but then the clutch and dmf are different along with the turbo and the later engines the injectors are different. It's going to be a matter of selecting what is going to be suitable for your power goals..no different to brakes and suspension setup.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts