VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, My TDi 2.5 2002 AJT with 02B gearbox needs a new clutch as its nearly done 150K miles which I guess is pretty good. I am going to have a go at doing the clutch re-install myself and after a bit of deliberation I think I will go with the dual mass even though the single clutch is a lot cheaper. I was wondering where you guys recommend I purchase from and whether the AYY clutch is the same as the AJT? And also can I get a kit that includes the slave cylinder and bearings?

·
Registered
221 Posts
LuK are OEM suppliers of clutch kits for T4s. Their part number for the AJT is 600 0012 00 and includes the release bearing & flywheel. They have a kit for the AYY which is a different part number - 600 0002 00 so not sure if it'll fit the AJT. The slave cylinder on the 02B is external so there's no need to replace it at the same time if you don't want to, but the part number is 512 0026 10.

Not sure if the LuK kit comes with a guide tube but you'll definitely want one of those as it's also the input shaft seal, and peace of mind to replace the clutch fork and spring too.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
On a DIY basis it's do-able but it is a proper challenge without a 4 post lift. I'd get a few quotes. But if self torture is your thing, buy an LUK or Sachs clutch as a 4 part kit (flywheel, plate, cover, release bearing), shop around for best price. The 02B slave cylinder is external (as posted above) so you don't need to worry about this (unless it's shot); if you do decide to replace it beware: Chinese shonk copies are everywhere, including JK.

Ps. if your van is mapped above 130 bhp (or you're planning to do so) talk to Rake about his SM solution.

HH

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Having done one on my T4 with an ACV engine it was easier to take the front of the van off, to access everything easily. It is about an hour or twos work to take the front end off. I did it outside on the drive. I have access to engine hoist that helped support the engine when swapping the clutch I remember having to undo one of the engine mounts.

I used the LUK kit from GSF at he time including the Dual Mass Flywheel. When I took it out it was down to the rivets so good job I got the kit. Did it over a weekend easily, without rushing, then did the cambelt as access was so good.

May not have been the quickest job but all went well. Note there are two bleed nipples on the clutch pipe, one by the slave cylinder and one on the bulkhead. I assume your would be the same.

Good luck!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd check for play in the flywheel before you buy a new one. I know its a "do right, do once" sort of job, but if there is little or no play in it why spend a fortune on what isn't broken?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for your input Guys, i really appreciate it. I think it best to change the flywheel as well as the clutch after 150K I guess it must be pretty tired by now there is no rattle as yet but I am very gentle with the clutch plus the drive shaft oil seals are leaking so i have to keep a eye on the gearbox level, if I drop the clutch then it isn't happy. I guess it is a choice of going for a standard dual mass clutch kit or the 'improved' SM clutch I shall get in touch with Rake for some prices. I know it is going to be a pain to fit it on the drive that is why I have been putting it off but I like to fix stuff myself rather then get someone else, a sense of achievement and all that. No doubt though half way through I will be screaming and wondering why the hell I didn't pay someone else to do it

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
There is a great sense of reward doing it yourself. As I said I took the opportunity to do the cambelt which was due at the same time as the access was so good. Also changed a few other items that were past their best. Just be methodical and don't rush. If you have questions we are here to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a great sense of reward doing it yourself. As I said I took the opportunity to do the cambelt which was due at the same time as the access was so good. Also changed a few other items that were past their best. Just be methodical and don't rush. If you have questions we are here to help.
helper man ı very like this forum :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts