VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New to the forum and I have a couple of questions that have been probably been asked and answered a million times.

Basically I am soon to buy a VW Transporter SWB van (hopefully no older than 8 year old) and wanting to convert it.

Having spent a lot of time in U-Shaped campers we are looking at buying one of the kits from VanProject77 (£1,200) which would provide us with the seating, cushions, upholstery and a cabinet.

First on the list though would be the electrics and getting windows fitted. The cheapest method of fitting the windows would be to do it myself, but... how much would this cost me (roughly) to have them professionally fitted as I am wary about cutting a huge hole in the side of the van.

Secondly...electrics - this is something I do not want touch myself as I wouldn't know where to start. What price should I expect to pay to have the usual leisure battery, charger system, lights and a couple of plugs fitted?

And thirdly, insulation and lining. From watching videos and trawling this forum it looks like a pretty straight forward process so I don't mind completing it myself. How much would the materials cost through?

As we're wanting to keep it on a budget we're going to skip the pop top, skink, ruining water, gas cooker etc.

Anything I've missed?

Thanks in advance for any help or advise you can offer T:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm relativly new to it all but have researched non nstop and recently got my van. Just selling my car now before the fun starts! I like yourself, will be on a tight budget (no pop top etc) but that wont stop me from having a brilliant vehicle. I intend to do everything i can.

To answer some of your questions,

Windows - Plenty of people have done it themselves. Just plan carefully, watch as many you tube videos as you can take and decide the best method. It really doesnt look that hard the window will cover up the cut so just dont go too big!

Electrics - There are decent kits available with step by step instructions to follow and again, its easily do able as a DIY. I'm copying a kit by buying all the components individually from cheaper sources which will save me £60 at least. Best thing to do is layout a schematic exactly what is hooking up to what so you have a clear plan before you start.

Insualtion - Depends on the level your going to. Can be done as cheaply as £100 but upwards of that with more expensive options.

As for cooking etc I'm going to be building a pull out kitchen to come out the rear tailgate. This solves the headroom issue when cooking and I;ll get a tailgate type tent. I'm looking at mains powerd hobs (from maplin for example) and a sink basing plumb in spearatly. Most my time I'll be on hook up I think so I'm debating the need for a leisure battery at this point.

Best of luck to you, biggest thing I think is planning. Get a budget down and put costs into it to see where you can potentially save. Loads of info on these forums!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RichRoberts44, sounds like you've got it all planned. I have a plan, in my head, which I should really get down on paper. Hoping to be able to do it under the 2k mark...wishful thinking.

With the windows, one the cut has been made, from my understanding a seal/ cover goes over the cut/ bare metal edge and the windows glue straight on using an adhesive, is this correct? Another option (although I'd have to be lucky) would be to find a panel van with the windows already in.

Do you think an absolute novice to electrics (I've only ever changed the light fitting or plug socket) would be able to fit the electrics?

Good idea for the cooker, I'll look into this option. As we have been touring using a large tent for the last 2 years I keep reminding myself of what we had then and do we really need it in the van asap as this could just be added later.

I like the tailgate option but they seem few and far between when I have looked for them.

Thanks again and good luck with your build, will you be documenting your progress on here?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'am a stickler for planning and have everything on spreadsheets and keeping going over and over figuring out ways to take cost out. I'm on a budget, my plan is to get something workable, insulated, electrics windows, bed and cabinet then add everything else to it over time. Not sure about the windows as I havent done it yet byt there are quite a few how to videos.

Yes I think an absolute novice could its just understanding what does what and I'm sure people on here would help.

I will be creating a build thread just selling my car first so I have the funds. Should move it along quite quickly then hopefully! Good luck! T:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts