VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always enjoy watching Edd China whenever he turns up. This time he is having a go with a new youtube show and it's a T5 (surprise surprise!) It's his own van that's giving trouble- oil cooler leaking coolant into the oil (another surprise!) I see it has a Gates coupling so it's a 2.5. I wonder if he has found the water pump yet? That would be a good job to cover.

Looking forward to the weekly episodes. (y)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Enjoyed this one. Glad to see project Binky getting a refernce - hoping he gets to see Soup automotive as well

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think Ant is much better at explaining what he's doing and has a personality. Edd is a bit of an old woman with his rubber gloves and endless h&s statements and silly t-shirts. I remember him explaining what brakes did once:rolleyes:
Mike is a bit of a big'ed but coming from London I'm used to it.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Gets on my wick every time Mike brewer slams a car door like hes trying to break it off!
And why is he always sitting on car wings ???
Get a chair ffs !!!

·
Special Rapporteur
9,908 Posts
I don't think you can really compare the old show with the current one - the two are so different. If you look at the current one with Ant, it is actually very carefully "choreographed". You'll see that almost everything pulls free easily and neatly, and when he has finished, everything clicks back into place. That's no accident, and I don't think it's because Ant is any more skilled as a mechanic than Edd. It's just that it has all been practiced and edited together so that it looks nice.

I have no idea what the budget per show was then and is now, but I would guess the current series is a fair bit more expensive to produce than the older ones - which they can do because it has US content and so can be sold to many more US networks.

I still find Mike Brewer as irritating as ever and would have liked to have seen a new series where Edd stayed and Mike got replaced, but no luck there...

·
Registered
436 Posts
With the above comments... think Ant is a country mile better mechanic and the cars he has built are just top notch and gone for record amounts at auction!

·
Special Rapporteur
9,908 Posts
Ant is a country mile better mechanic and the cars he has built are just top notch and gone for record amounts at auction!
Fair enough - I don't actually know anything about him other than the show. The point I was making is that the production of that series was a lot more "slick" than the earlier ones. Sorry to hear that he has been replaced again as I thought he was a good substitute for Edd, if a bit different in style (more polished, less "back street garage").

·
Registered
436 Posts
Fair enough - I don't actually know anything about him other than the show. The point I was making is that the production of that series was a lot more "slick" than the earlier ones. Sorry to hear that he has been replaced again as I thought he was a good substitute for Edd, if a bit different in style (more polished, less "back street garage").
Think the only reason he left the show as they are moving back to the UK and Ant now leaving in the USA...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts