VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I purchased my T5 Transporter 2.5tdi back in May 2008. The vehicle was purchased from a Volkswagen dealer outright by cheque and part exch.

I have had the vehicle for 3 years and 7 mths. The vehicle was serviced at 18,000 by VW and MOT'd in May this year by VW. The van has now developed a problem after 29,000 miles, which VW have advised will require a NEW engine costing £6-£7k. This is down to a failed cyclinder/piston (to be confirmed).

VW has offered to pay 20% to the cost, which is in my opinion derisory. As far as I am concerned there is no way a cylinder/piston should fail after only 29,000 miles and at 3yrs and 7mths, especially a vehicle which has been serviced and MOT'd.

I was therefore wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem with their T5, and perhaps where I go from here to get VW to pay for the new engine I can't believe that this should happen after only 29,000 miles. Someone has mentioned to me legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act, but I have no experience of this.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
120 Posts
Someone has mentioned to me legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act, but I have no experience of this.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Peter
IIRC under the sale of goods act an item must be fit for purpose.

knackered engine at 29000? doesn't sound very fit for purpose to me!

There should be a whole heap on information on trading standards website.

Good luck with it T:

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
You don't say if its a 2008 model or older?

I would imagine that major component failure like this of a vehicle that is only just 3 years old would warrant more than 20%

Are the dealers offering any discount?

(sale of goods won't apply I'm afraid)

More info, describe fault in more detail please

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've spoken to Trading Standards who consider there to be a case against VW, and that the SOGA does apply.

The problem has been confirmed as piston ring failure after only 29,000 miles. The mechanics agree this is appalling and doesnt reflect well on VW. Im waiting VW's response and will be seeking much more than 20% believe me!

The van is a 2008 model.

I will let you know how I get on.

Peter

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
So youve owned the van from new and only had the oil changed once in three and a half years!!!!:eek: longlife servicing is lining the pockets of VW only....,

·
13,223 Posts
Sorry I didn't explain myself right

Why and how did u find out

Description of fault or request to investigate/repair

What were the symptoms?

·
Super Moderator
9,190 Posts
I still think that even if it is long life oil it should be changed at 20000 miles or 2 years as per the schedule. But dropping a ring within a short period is poor show. Does it mean that a vehicle that reaches 3 years old will fail because of age:*

·
13,223 Posts
It's unusual that's why I'm interested in more detail of the failure

Regime is two years or up to 18k miles. In my experience the ave is 12500 miles to 14500 miles so I would say the oil should have been changed twice

But......why do they think its damaged a piston? And how do they 100% know without stripping it, it's not s common issue like say a druveshaft or a water pump

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It's unusual that's why I'm interested in more detail of the failure

Regime is two years or up to 18k miles. In my experience the ave is 12500 miles to 14500 miles so I would say the oil should have been changed twice

But......why do they think its damaged a piston? And how do they 100% know without stripping it, it's not s common issue like say a druveshaft or a water pump
Because there were no fault codes and it's the only thing they could think of as they read it in a text book once upon a time???

·
13,223 Posts
There are certain noises and "symptoms" u can guess at on t5, mainly things you see on a regular basis over the 8 years of t5 product

Water in oil-water pump
Oil in water-oil cooler
Loss of drive, noise like gearbox blown up- os driveshaft and stub
Missfire 1500 to 2500 revs-possible fuel conyamination injector seals

Etc etc

I feel there is more to this than what we are being told

I'll fire up the mystery machine

Btw if the vehicle has lasted 3 years then the fit for purpose won't stand as vehicle has gone through warranty period, it's not manufacturers fault the vehicle has done such low mileage

I've seen so many cases similar, your best bet is to get it 109% confirmed and push vw

·
13,223 Posts
I must add

There are NO common problems with any vw product and contrary to popular belief they a decent vans, there are a lot of people out there that cannot afford to run these vehicles (or am I confused with Audi owners.....)

·
Registered
371 Posts
There is no denying that they are bloody expensive when they do go wrong, but they do generally last.

I need a new engine after 260k.

Incidentally, is it an old wives tale that these 2.5 engines were warranted for 200k or 5 years?

·
13,223 Posts
There is no denying that they are bloody expensive when they do go wrong, but they do generally last.

I need a new engine after 260k.

Incidentally, is it an old wives tale that these 2.5 engines were warranted for 200k or 5 years?
No harm in asking pmsl

I've got a top ten of engines at my place, all original all done over 280k miles

·
Registered
542 Posts
Maybe you just got unlucky & got the one bad one out of many great ones. if it's within service intervals push Vw.
My friend had a new mini (I know they're RUBBISH ) it was past warranty but had full history when the gearbox (a rover unit on her type I believe :D) failed.
Bmw said we'll do nothing for you. She went back, bmw said we'll pay for parts. she went back after a month & said okay, bmw said this offer has expired you need to re-apply.
She Re-applied Bmw said we'll pay for everything except gearbox oil, she bit there hand off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts