VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of re-doing the floor in my van, involving taking out some of the dodgy home-made interior by the previous owner...

there is the original rubber load liner which has several tears in it and seems to be holding quite a lot of water within the spongy underside of it, presumably got in there through the torn sections.

Is it worth trying to replace this load liner, or ripping it out and starting again with another floor build up?

Any suggestions of floor build-up/finish?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm thinking of re-doing the floor in my van, involving taking out some of the dodgy home-made interior by the previous owner...

there is the original rubber load liner which has several tears in it and seems to be holding quite a lot of water within the spongy underside of it, presumably got in there through the torn sections.

Is it worth trying to replace this load liner, or ripping it out and starting again with another floor build up?

Any suggestions of floor build-up/finish?
,,,if it was me mate i"d just pull it all apart and start all over then you know yourself whats gone in/on the floor,,,stuff like that would always niggle at the back of my weeee head,,but also you say its wet,,one it probs will start smelling then rust,,hope this helps T:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Commercial vans are lined with 5mm sidewalls and 12mm floors, my van has a 12 mm floor and its tough as old boots. I use Transit vans at work that have a very hard life constantly having heavy objects loaded and bashed around and the 12mm ply floors on them have survived 4 years abuse so far although they are looking quite tatty now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I was considering going with 5.5mm ply instead of 9mm. Partly due to cost (I'm skint) and the amount it would raise the floor by. Currently got units in there that would need to be modified a bit before going back in, since can't afford to change them at the mo.

Any thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts