VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Startline T5 Kombi
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the van has this really basic head unit with a radio and CD player and that's it. It says it has bluetooth, but I can't get it to work and because I'd like some USB charging points in the front for the sat nav, speaker and phone, I'm thinking of swapping it out. There is a 12v charger in the cup holder, but it looks like it's dead; it doesn't charge anyway.

I'm not interested in an all singing and dancing set up, just a radio, bluetooth and at least two charging points. So my questions are:
1, How easy is it to swap these out? Do I need to be mindful of speaker cables or anything on the steering wheel?
2, Can anyone recommend a basic, but reliable unit that won't break the bank?

Thank you lovely people!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi. I dont have the answers your looking for but I do know youll need to mention which variant of T5 you have. and the year.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
So the van has this really basic head unit with a radio and CD player and that's it. It says it has bluetooth, but I can't get it to work and because I'd like some USB charging points in the front for the sat nav, speaker and phone, I'm thinking of swapping it out. There is a 12v charger in the cup holder, but it looks like it's dead; it doesn't charge anyway.

I'm not interested in an all singing and dancing set up, just a radio, bluetooth and at least two charging points. So my questions are:
1, How easy is it to swap these out? Do I need to be mindful of speaker cables or anything on the steering wheel?
2, Can anyone recommend a basic, but reliable unit that won't break the bank?

Thank you lovely people!
I got a Kenwood unit for £200 in a sale just needed trim piece to fit around it and Ariel adapter kit, fairly straight forward install depends on your budget.
Also fitted double usb plug into glove box to power dashcam and charge phone, £10 of bay of E. Piggybacked fuse 19 for power, again easy job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a Kenwood unit for £200 in a sale just needed trim piece to fit around it and Ariel adapter kit, fairly straight forward install depends on your budget.
Also fitted double usb plug into glove box to power dashcam and charge phone, £10 of bay of E. Piggybacked fuse 19 for power, again easy job.
Sorry ti hijack the thread.....could you tell me how you did the glove box USB thing please? PM me if you prefer...:)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Sorry ti hijack the thread.....could you tell me how you did the glove box USB thing please? PM me if you prefer...:)
I used one of these

fitted it just inside the glove box where the aux socket sits as I don't need that, short run to fuse 19 where I used a piggy back fuse to supply power.

also got spare usb plug in there from head unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts