VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

I am just starting to look at T5s as a day/camper van. I am a bit confused by the seating!
Lets ignore the front seats - ive kinda got that sorted in my head with various options available, and concentrate on the rears.

I want to have 1 or 2 rear passengers (5 year olds.. or maybe 10 year olds by the time I actually commit to getting a T5...) and I want a seat that becomes a bed (obviously!).

I would like the rear seats to be closer to the front than most of the seat/beds Ive seen which look like they are miles back, not ideal for kids - is there an option where a crash tested seat set can slide up and down the van, and be made into a bed? This is the impression I get when reading about Caravelle seats on rails, but I just cant find any technical info or pics etc to support this. I think I would need a 'bed' extension too....??

Ideally, I'd like to see what I can get 'in the flesh' - but any advice here would be appreciated.

I will try to get to BusFest http://www.busfest.org/ in Malvern as Im only in Worcester.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

·
Registered
496 Posts
Andy

There are Variotech and caravelle rails. also Unwin do them ,however if you want some very sound advice ,speak to Colin at Oxford T5, he has loads of options, very helpful chap. I had your concerns and went for a 2 ,2,2 format which involves a LHD quick release double in the mid row for normal day to day. I whipped it out to go camping and my boys actually loved sitting at the rear RIB bed, it seemed to be my worry ,not theirs! Mine are 10 and 11. BTW although expensive the RIB is very comfortable and 1 of the Very few that are TUV crash tested as opposed to pull tested, and has an 8" slider.

hope this helps

·
Registered
332 Posts
Reimo Variotech is mounted on sliding rails and is crash tested. We have ours pulled forward for driving, with the seat belts mounted to the van rather than the seat. When we park up we slide the seat back for more living space. You can also remove the seat completely if you need to. Ticked all the boxes for us but they are not cheap T:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah! Cheers -Sounds just right. Price not an issue, I'm minted, me...... Not!I:

In all seriousness, the safety of my 5year old means I have no problem with 2k for a seat. Means we will forget the alloys for a while instead! Haven't started looking for a van yet though so don't know the budget or anything. It's all research at present..

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'll add my thumbs up for the RIB. Admittedly, mine is quite far back, even with the slider, but we took my aged parents out in it the other day and they loved sitting back there. (The bed is amazingly comfortable, too.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts