VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting & still waiting for my new Kombi to arrive. It is expected to arrive mid December and if it does, then its first adventure will be a trip to Skye for Hogmanay. It will be a day / work van but used for occasional weekend missions.

I am trying to get prepared so I can hit the ground running when it arrives. I am a bit confused about insulation and exactly what I need to do and the materials required. Roof, walls, floor. As far as i'm aware the new kombi will come with basic lining in the back or at least around the rear seats. Is this lining easy to remove and refit?

I think it comes with plastic lining, has anyone experience of stripping this back and insulating behind it. I'm sure this subject has been covered to death, but I still haven't found a good guide / stream. Could one of you point me in the direction of a good insulation guide? Or offer up some advice.

I am keen to get all the materials organised asap, in the hope that it will arrive in time. .

·
Registered
226 Posts
It should be just bare metal and panels held on with panel clips, easy to remove.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The panels should be a thin ply type held on with 2 part plastic clips, the centre of the clips screw out and have an allen key type hole but its more succesful to unscrew the centres with a torx driver and Im not sure but I think its a T20 torx driver you need.

These panels are a bit flimsy but unless you are fastening cupboards to them they are fine to use again. When you have carpetted them you will either need longer clips or the hidden clips from megavanmats.

There are loads of threads about what type of insulation to use and people have different opinions on the performance.

Lambs wool, celotex, recycled plastic bottle insulation are pretty common its all about preventing water retention as the van will "sweat" through the year especially if you are going to sleep in it!

Normally people start by using flashing tape on the metal panels firstly to reduce panel resonance and road noise, opinions differ to here, manufacturers you will find only put one or two pieces on panels when you take the wood panels off, people on here have used loads and covered all the panels.

I read up on this and decided to completely do the wheelarches and add some additional strips to the sides and on the ridges on the roof, I can't prove if this is any better or not than fully covering but it has certainly reduced the "tinny" noise when its raining.

I used recycled plastic bottle insulation on the sides and in the cavities, remember not to pack it in to tight as this reduces its insulation properties as you need to retain the air pockets in it, I used small amounts of spray glue to keep it in place. I then covered in silver bubble wrap held in place with silver gaffa tape to form a moisture barrier.

I did'nt feel the need to excessively insulate the roof as it is only used for occasional camping, just a couple of layers of silver bubble wrap spray glued in position.

Just make sure wherever youget the carpet lining from that its the 4 way stretch automotive type, if you are going to do it in winter do it in a warm garage or you will need a hairdryer/hot air gun, as the carpets pliability( think thats how you spell it) is effected by temperature and makes it really hard to work with in the cold.

Its up to you if you refit the panels and do all the metal work and panels in one go (neater) or do the metalwork and panels separately then refit the panels. I did it the last way as if you need to remove a panel for anything(speaker wiring, Extra 12 volt plugs etc) it makes it a lot easier.

Also I would use the side window trims that I have seen on ebay because it is quite hard to get a neat finish around the windows.

There are loads of convertors on the forum who have loads of experience and can offer advice.

Hope I have helped a bit, I am no expert but read loads of threads on this and this was the way I was happy with and my next van will be done exactly the same*<:)>

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I didn't go over the top on mine, but took the panels off, stuck B&Q sheepswool mix loft insulation stuff to them with spray carpet glue, but them back on. Stuffed some extra in the places where it would go.

Seems fine. I haven't done as much as I wanted to, but will probably finish off next weekend.

Certainly quieter and warmer, and didn't cost much.

A

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some great advice here thanks. The shopping list grows longer. Will trawl around for some images of insulation during builds.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Couple of pics of mine with the insulation just fitted

Cut to size and just a quick squirt of spray adhesive and it stays put

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the images and all the information.

I am intending to put speaker in the back above the wheel arch and mounted to the panel. How thin are the kombi panels? Will they be suitable for mounting speakers to or will I need thicker ply?

Heard today that she is built so with any luck van will arrive before Christmas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts