VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking to buy a converted van from Devon Cool Campers - it's a white T5 90k, 2004 Tailgate model.

Conversion includes all the usual insulation, carpetting, lino, swivel seats, 3/4 width crash tested rock n roll bed, pop top with bed, cooker, grill, sink, 3 way fridge, 240v, leisure battery, alloys, side bars & colour coding.

Have a look on their website for their conversions (image 8 & 9 is what we'll be getting):
http://www.devoncoolcars.co.uk/images/t5conversions/conversions_interior_2/conversion_interior.html

Price is £16k which I think is very reasonable, but that's a lot of money to me so wanted to get a 2nd opinion before committing to buy

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well my neighbour went to see them to enquire about buying from them and to part ex their Bongo for a T5. He spoke to them at various times and sent emails to no avail, Even though they had a wad of cash they didnt even get back to my friends
other than to offer a derisory amount for his bongo and even when he did contact them saying he was having a van in the next week he still never confirmed he had the van come in and wasnt heard from again.

I personally wouldnt deal with them but if you do unless they have the van there all converted and ready to go and you see it, drive it then thats a different matter. My neighbour would have been more than happy to buy one converted but they just didnt seem to want to do a deal with my neighbours.

Its a shame when a local company does this as you would have thought they would have been glad of the custom.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Not to put a stick in the mud but the base van is worth around 6-7k tops, you can spend 9k on getting it converted and have a nice personal finish at the end, with your own spec colour scheme.

One of our customers just bought a 60 plate with 30k on the clock for
Just over £10000 you can get a half decent
Interior for £6000

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really appreciate the replies. I must be looking in the wrong places for both vans and conversions!

Locally I've been looking at 9-10k for a conversion including the crash tested bed (has to be crash tested for kids) roof etc.

Also vans appear to be 8-10k for a similar van:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?g=1&s=790&filter=TP&o=p&pc=ex5&min=&max=&txt=&px=&p=2&pagesize=15&xsl=list&y1=2003&y2=2006&d=0&dist=100&nodays=0

With the conversion we can choose colour scheme, it will be brand new conversion. I know compressor fridges are more efficient/more expensive etc

Could you show me the error of my ways - where we can get the van and conversion for the prices you quote? a 60 plate with half decent conversion for roughly £16k would be fantastic!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Might have mislead you a little, didn't notice the pop top in the spec!! Even so there are deals to be had at the dealerships go in hard they don't want stock laying around. As a rough guide insulate line and carpet and 2 windows approx £1500 crash test bed £1500 -£2500 pop top £1500-£2500 kitchen units including all appliances £1200-£2500 depending on spec.

So it could be squeezed in on a £6000 budget but will be a basic finish no gizmos!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Or even why not buy on finance for 3/4 years use the money you have for deposit and conversion and place remaining money in bank just in case.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick reply, but that van is a 282 mile drive from where I live, isn't a tailgate model and is £8,400 - add the conversion price of 9-10k and that works out at £17,400-£18,400 :(

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well sometimes i think its better to travel some distance to get what you want rather than what a dealer has in stock. These are only examples mind. Think there are better vans out there for the same or slightly more money.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
It is a buyers market at the moment there are a lot of good clean t5s out there, yes you may have to travel and negotiate hard but you'll end up with a nice investment. Go and see your local VW dealer you'll be surprised at what you could walk away with.

And remember VAT is a great bargaining point ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great, thanks guys, you've certainly given me second thoughts about the base van - what about conversions though? Buying a base van for ~£8-£10k is all well and good, but only leaves £6k for a full conversion.....?

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Trouble is, your never going to get a decent conversion for £6000 if you want it to have swivels and a crash tested seat/bed. Thats without a roof - which would be more again.
If your budget is limited, why not look at used conversions - there will be a few out there that are hardly used and the value at the moment will be less than the total cost of providing the same van with a new conversion. However a couple of monts will see a buyers market again, so move quickly if you want a winter bargain.

·
Banned
102 Posts
think you need to shop around for vans a bit more. all youve shown are 06/7s with low low milage. the avrage milage is generally 15k a year so 75k on an 06 is fine.you should with a bit of patience be able to source an 06 with 80k for around 6 grand including slap (vat) also 70k is timing belt service on 19s so your gunna save there if its fully serviced .check ebay more often and get an idea of prices thing make and if you find something send loads of emails asking stuff that way if you buy it and its not as described you can walk away or knock em down.
as for conversion the 2 grand crash test bed aint worth diddlyspit if its fitted by monkeys.you need paperwork to go with any `pro` conversion so make sure the firm can sign off work done T:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
might not have been looking at the right pictures but not one of those beds appear to be one of the recognised crash tested beds so i would make sure that was correct, when i looked at getting a conversion done similar spec to what you want the conversion was knocking on close to £10000 without van purchase.
personally dont be put of by travelling to get a van you want sometimes you have to travel there are lots of decent conversion companies out there, so just take your time.T:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Great, thanks guys, you've certainly given me second thoughts about the base van - what about conversions though? Buying a base van for ~£8-£10k is all well and good, but only leaves £6k for a full conversion.....?
just seen where your located have you spoken to torbay? or south west camper conversions?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for the input guys. Regarding the bed, the place do two different types. The one that they said is crash test is this one:

As you can see in the second photo's, it has extra cushion pieces which slot into the gaps when the bed is folded out. Can someone verify what sort of bed this is and if it is crash tested? If it helps, a bar which runs the width of the bed underneath is welded to the floor of the van.

I appreciate people trying to help, I've looked at other conversion companies since, and for example South West Camper Conversions charge £12,150 for a full conversion with crash tested R&R + Pop top. Hence why I thought £16k for the van and full conversion was a good price.

If £16k is totally unrealistic for what I'm after, it will have to be a T4....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts